The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xero Xenith
Ah, good point. I marked it and it was a 1 close to an S, my teacher marked it and it was a 1 closer to a 2. Neither of us knew exactly what the criteria were, just best guesses based on how correct my answers were and what they were missing.

So yeah, it could have been lower in reality... it would really help if we had a better idea of how to mark it :s-smilie: are there guidelines anywhere?

e.g. "For an answer worth 15-20 marks, the candidate must do _______" etc?

I haven't seen anything like that, I guess teachers are our best markers.
Original post by member910132
I haven't seen anything like that, I guess teachers are our best markers.

Fired them an email asking for advice - let's see what they come back with :smile:
Reply 182
What warning points? You must have been dreaming... :tongue:

(Posted the OCR Solomon papers this time last week - didn't realise they were commercial and that's a Bad Thing™)

Started STEP in September, been tackling it lightly since then but haven't touched it since December. Did a STEP I mock in exam conditions (or as close as you can get in a public library with kids screaming... never going back :frown:) and got a 1 which I'm pretty happy with! :smile:

I've also solved a few STEP II and III problems, but that obviously still needs work :tongue: I just started early for interview prep basically :smile:

its gone :confused: must of been high :laugh:

you have done quite a bit....im slowly getting into my STEP stride this week.....then next week it will be TOTAL STEP :colone:
Reply 183
Original post by SParm
That sounds good...I think there are vectors in STEP I and II but not in III; so I'd definitely give that a look over even if it's not as detailed as the other stuff...but I don't think there's any matrices on the STEP syllabus any more is there :s-smilie:?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to be the reason this guy doesn't go over matrices and there's some questions about them in the exams :P

Oh yes, there is vectors from C4 in STEP I and II, but I doubt dot product will appear since it doesnt appear in the syllabus. And I was pretty sure matrices weren't there too :smile:
Original post by fruktas
Oh yes, there is vectors from C4 in STEP I and II, but I doubt dot product will appear since it doesnt appear in the syllabus. And I was pretty sure matrices weren't there too :smile:

Did you mean dot product? It certainly is on the syllabus. There are no longer matrices on the syllabus.
Reply 185
Original post by ben-smith
Did you mean dot product? It certainly is on the syllabus. There are no longer matrices on the syllabus.

Oh god, I meant cross product! :colondollar:
Original post by fruktas
Oh god, I meant cross product! :colondollar:

I thought so. You are allowed it, you just don't need it.
I thought I might make my initial contribution to this thread by asking whether anyone has any pre-1987 STEP papers (if they exist) and whether I am the only one who takes three times as long to do the applied as the pure; it usually takes about 45-60 minutes to knock off a given applied q, which is not going to cut it in the exam :frown:
STEP I, II & III are on different days this year! This means that we can sit all 3 - woooooo! :yay:
Original post by TheMagicMan
I thought I might make my initial contribution to this thread by asking whether anyone has any pre-1987 STEP papers (if they exist) and whether I am the only one who takes three times as long to do the applied as the pure; it usually takes about 45-60 minutes to knock off a given applied q, which is not going to cut it in the exam :frown:

Yes it is - 45 minutes for a question is fine. You have three hours to get four good solutions out. If you can do a recent pure question in 15 minutes you're doing very well...

Original post by Xtrapolation
STEP I, II & III are on different days this year! This means that we can sit all 3 - woooooo! :yay:

Now if only they weren't on the same days as Physics and Economics... not like those are popular subjects with mathmos or anything :rolleyes:

They don't exist afaik there are specimen papers but apart from that...
Before 1987 they used an exam called the CCE.

wrt how long it takes me to do questions: I'm more consistent with mechanics in that I can usually do about 3/4 in two hours when I'm working properly (or really lucky) whereas pure I find I can either polish off or at least see where a question is going pretty quickly or (more often) I just hit a wall.
I thought I might make my initial contribution to this thread by asking whether anyone has any pre-1987 STEP papers (if they exist)
They don't.

and whether I am the only one who takes three times as long to do the applied as the pure; it usually takes about 45-60 minutes to knock off a given applied q, which is not going to cut it in the exam :frown:
Given that implies 15-20 minutes to knock off a pure question, and there are 8 to choose from, I doubt that will get much sympathy. (FWIW, I don't really find a significant difference in time taken).
Yes it is - 45 minutes for a question is fine. You have three hours to get four good solutions out. If you can do a recent pure question in 15 minutes you're doing very well...

You obviously have different standards:tongue:

I think 1987 was the first year for STEP.

As for the applied questions thing, I used to be much slower on them in comparison to pure too. Perhaps you're picking the ones which are interesting to you rather than the one's that are short? Or maybe it's a lack of practice in long applied questions? The way I fixed it myself was by exclusively doing applied questions for a month or so slightly before this time last year.
Original post by ben-smith
They don't exist afaik there are specimen papers but apart from that...
Before 1987 they used an exam called the CCE.

wrt how long it takes me to do questions: I'm more consistent with mechanics in that I can usually do about 3/4 in two hours when I'm working properly (or really lucky) whereas pure I find I can either polish off or at least see where a question is going pretty quickly or (more often) I just hit a wall.

My biggest problems with pure tend to come when I miss a significant simplification early on in the question and end up fighting through vast quantities of algebra (although it usually comes out in the end)...but then I've had a lot of pure practice which is why I'm doing mech and stats now

Now if only they weren't on the same days as Physics and Economics... not like those are popular subjects with mathmos or anything :rolleyes:

Wasn't it only very recently that FP3, M5 and STEP i and iii were on the same day? :rolleyes:

My biggest problem with applied tends to be converting the wording of the question into equations...does anyone have any advice on that?
Wasn't it only very recently that FP3, M5 and STEP i and iii were on the same day? :rolleyes:

My biggest problem with applied tends to be converting the wording of the question into equations...does anyone have any advice on that?

It'll work better if you give an example of such a question

The only thing you can do is practice, really. In my opinion, it's pretty much a case of getting familiar with which quantities arise from which equations in general and then considering those in the light of what quantities the questions want (in the case of mechanics) - spotting what comes from where is pretty much down to practice. Drawing good diagrams is obviously very helpful in turning words into maths.

As Ben said, an example of one of these questions which you're stuck on would help.
Love how the thread is coming alive! My plan is a semi week off (i.e. not studying too hard) then get through as much M3/4/5 FP3 and S2/3 as I can then whilst trying some of the pures then move on to the applied as well.

I was advise to focus on knowing my pure inside out rather than learning more Maths but with only have Physics 5 to work for the extra modules and opening up the range of questions I can tackle would surely be a better tactic?
Reply 199
Original post by TheUltimateProof
Love how the thread is coming alive! My plan is a semi week off (i.e. not studying too hard) then get through as much M3/4/5 FP3 and S2/3 as I can then whilst trying some of the pures then move on to the applied as well.

I was advise to focus on knowing my pure inside out rather than learning more Maths but with only have Physics 5 to work for the extra modules and opening up the range of questions I can tackle would surely be a better tactic?

If you even want to have a range of questions for STEP III, I would really advice you to do M3,4,5 and FP3 (assuming FP2 is done with F maths anyway), since STEP III questions can range a lot. I am doing exactly that, learning M3,4,5 and FP3 and avoiding stats since I am not that great in it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending