The Student Room Group

Results day! What to do if you don't get the grades you wanted.

It can be a stressful time on results day, particularly if you didn't get the results you were expecting. So here are some helpful tips to help you on the day. If you have checked on UCAS Hub and checked your firm and insurance choice and have not been offered a place. Some things you can do are:

1) Take a moment to breathe and speak to your school/college. They will be able to give you advice on your next steps

2) Look at other universities and their courses before making any calls

3) When you have decided what course/university you would like to go to, give them a call through clearing to discuss your options

4) Consider universities or courses that offer foundation years as they will require fewer UCAS points

I hope that helps :smile:

Lauren
(edited 9 months ago)
A huge proportion of applicants who miss their predictions or offer conditions are still accepted by their firm or insurance choice and so will not be eligible for clearing.
Hi there,

Yes this can be the case, but this is for students who may not get their firm or insurance and would like just a few little tips to help them on the day if they do need to go through clearing.

Lauren
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

Yes this can be the case, but this is for students who may not get their firm or insurance and would like just a few little tips to help them on the day if they do need to go through clearing.

Lauren

It just seems like you’ve skipped the key first step of checking UCAS Hub to see if you’ve been accepted with lower grades by your firm or insurance (or made an alternative offer).
It can be a stressful time on results day, particularly if you didn't get the results you were expecting. So here are some helpful tips to help you on the day.

1) Take a moment to breathe and speak to your school/college. They will be able to give you advice on your next steps

2) Look at other universities and their courses before making any calls

3) When you have decided what course/university you would like to go to, give them a call through clearing to discuss your options

4) Consider universities or courses that offer foundation years as they will require fewer UCAS points

Lauren

Hi Lauren could I pm please

Check Hub. You might have been accepted by your Firm choice, regardless of your grades.

Check Hub. You might have been accepted by your Insurance choice, regardless of your grades.

If there is no decision on Hub, contact your Firm, and then your Insurance, to find out what their position is.

If both end up rejecting you, then do the above.

Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi Lauren could I pm please

Hi Mohammed,

Yes you can if you would like.

:smile:
Lauren
Hi Mohammed,

Yes you can if you would like.

:smile:
Lauren

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Hi there,

Lauren

Why are you suggesting they contact their firm and insurance? That is terrible advice. If they have rejected the students there's no point
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you suggesting they contact their firm and insurance? That is terrible advice. If they have rejected the students there's no point

It’s not terrible I think it’s brilliant
It’s not terrible I think it’s brilliant

It's a complete waste of time - they have had your results and reviewed your application and rejected you. There's no way they will reverse that - you are wasting your time aand theirs. I'm a teacher and involved with UCAS so I know what I am talking about as do others, except the OP, on this thread.
Try a school leavers' instead?
Original post by Muttley79
It's a complete waste of time - they have had your results and reviewed your application and rejected you. There's no way they will reverse that - you are wasting your time aand theirs. I'm a teacher and involved with UCAS so I know what I am talking about as do others, except the OP, on this thread.

Awesome yet everyone entitled to voice an opinion :smile:
Awesome yet everyone entitled to voice an opinion :smile:

This is a FACT though not an opinion, see what PQ says -
No point calling if there is a decision, unless you are interested in a different course. You are wasting time that could be used speaking to people about clearing vacancies where you have a chance.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion but some of it is qualified from people with years of experience of running confirmation and clearing.

NB. I am not sure if LHU were advising people to call their existing choices, unless they have edited a post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending