The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Thrug
Slightly off-topic but what are you guys putting down for your insurance? :smile:

LSE :smile: loving the sig too, big bang theory ftw haha
Other than the two booklets and past papers, what else is everyone doing to prepare ?
Reply 62
Do you reckon FP3 is necessary for step 3? My school doesn't do it, so I'm wondering whether to learn it all, or specific bits? Anyone know pleasse?
Original post by Lois:)
Do you reckon FP3 is necessary for step 3? My school doesn't do it, so I'm wondering whether to learn it all, or specific bits? Anyone know pleasse?

It's not necessary but it will be very useful. You should 100% get the textbook and self teach it, especially the integration chapter.
Reply 64
Original post by ben-smith
It's not necessary but it will be very useful. You should 100% get the textbook and self teach it, especially the integration chapter.

what is in the fp3 integration section?
Original post by ben-smith

What exam board are you Ben?
Reply 66

It depends what exam board you're doing. As far as the pure concerned - I think all you need to know is: first/second order (linear) differential equations, ellipses & hyperbola (the edexcel fp3 textbook goes through this nicely), polar coordinates, and trig (hyperbolic functions/substitutions, de moivre's theorem, complex numbers).
(edited 12 years ago)

Just for clarity, everyone above is talking about Edexcel FP3 :smile:

Other boards' FP3 contain different topics - e.g. OCR has groups, which aren't on STEP at all, but OCR is completely lacking ellipses and hyperbola (Edexcel FP1 and FP3). These should be self-taught for the greater good.
Original post by Xero Xenith
Just for clarity, everyone above is talking about Edexcel FP3 :smile:

Other boards' FP3 contain different topics - e.g. OCR has groups, which aren't on STEP at all, but OCR is completely lacking ellipses and hyperbola (Edexcel FP1 and FP3). These should be self-taught for the greater good.

Any knowledge of AQA? :p:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Any knowledge of AQA? :p:

I could check the spec... :tongue:

AQA FP1 - pretty much all on STEP (no Newton-Raphson; no matrices)
AQA FP2 - most, nothing on surface of revolution
AQA FP3 - pretty much all on STEP (not sure about polar coordinates it's on STEP!)
AQA FP4 - lots on matrices is on STEP no it isn't!, but no eigenvectors etc, no cross product or 3D geometry beyond C4. (so none on STEP)

Take it with a grain of salt - check the specifications yourself if you wanna be more sure :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

AQA FP1 - pretty much all on STEP
AQA FP3 - pretty much all on STEP (not sure about polar coordinates)
AQA FP4 - lots on matrices is on STEP, but no eigenvectors etc, no cross product or 3D geometry beyond C4

Take it with a grain of salt - check the specifications yourself if you wanna be more sure :smile:

Ah this is excellent, no I trust your judgement. Besides, if you say almost all 3 modules are in it I can hardly go wrong learning FP2-3 as soon as Jan exams are over. :p: I won't be sitting FP4 though so it's good there isn't much from that. ^_^ Cheers bro.
Reply 71
Original post by anil10100
LSE :smile: loving the sig too, big bang theory ftw haha

zassy
Reply 72
Warwick (if STEP and my Maths exams this Friday go well) or Durham (in all other conceivable cases) :smile:

Brave. I don't think I have it in me to put Warwick as my insurance.

Will probably end up putting Bath :tongue:
Reply 73

AQA FP1 - pretty much all on STEP
AQA FP3 - pretty much all on STEP (not sure about polar coordinates)
AQA FP4 - lots on matrices is on STEP, but no eigenvectors etc, no cross product or 3D geometry beyond C4

That can't be accurate surely?! For OCR STEP would be most of FP2 and about half of FP3.

The bit in bold certainly isn't true. Matrices have been out of the STEP syllabus for a while now.
Reply 74
back from TSR prison =)

well done to all those that got offers and commiserations to those that missed out......my peeps would of heard from me through my associates

great thread! will start STEP around february :colone: can't wait!!!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Ah this is excellent, no I trust your judgement. Besides, if you say almost all 3 modules are in it I can hardly go wrong learning FP2-3 as soon as Jan exams are over. :p: I won't be sitting FP4 though so it's good there isn't much from that. ^_^ Cheers bro.

Ree69 correctly pointed out that it's a bit wrong. Sorry :colondollar: updated with something less wrong!

Original post by Thrug
Brave. I don't think I have it in me to put Warwick as my insurance.

Will probably end up putting Bath :tongue:

Bath is lovely but my offer is nearly the same as Warwick's - AEA Merit (vs Warwick's Distinction) or 2 in STEP (same as Warwick) :s-smilie:

Original post by Ree69
That can't be accurate surely?! For OCR STEP would be most of FP2 and about half of FP3.

The bit in bold certainly isn't true. Matrices have been out of the STEP syllabus for a while now.

It seems so. Thanks for the correction :smile:

OCR seems to have more in each module and is also missing hyperbola and ellipses.

Ree69 correctly pointed out that it's a bit wrong. Sorry :colondollar: updated with something less wrong!

Bath is lovely but my offer is nearly the same as Warwick's - AEA Merit (vs Warwick's Distinction) or 2 in STEP (same as Warwick) :s-smilie:

It seems so. Thanks for the correction :smile:

OCR seems to have more in each module and is also missing hyperbola and ellipses.

Cheers bros. Much love <3
Reply 77
Original post by Rahul.S
back from TSR prison =)

well done to all those that got offers and commiserations to those that missed out......my peeps would of heard from me through my associates

great thread! will start STEP around february :colone: can't wait!!!

Welcome back :tongue:
Reply 78
Original post by maths134
Welcome back :tongue:

WELL DONE! on your offer :biggrin:
Reply 79
Original post by Rahul.S
WELL DONE! on your offer :biggrin:

Thanks, you to!! Now just have to make it :smile:. Can't wait for feb aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending