The Illuminati
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Is the reason why this doesn't produce NADPH and only a small amount of ATP due to the fact that it only involves PSI therefore photolysis doesn't occur to produce protons so there aren't enough protons to make any NADP or much ATP.
123emily
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The same electrons are recycled back into PSI via a electron carrier, making a cycle. So the electrons don't go along the rest of the electron transport chain to end up in the stroma which means they aren't available to reduce NADP. The ATP is made in this by the ATP Synthase enzyme that combines ADP and an inorganic phosphate group together.
Alexok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What benefits would cyclic phosphorylation have for the plant, or why does it begin to happen
The Illuminati
Rep:
?
(Original post by 123emily)
The same electrons are recycled back into PSI via a electron carrier, making a cycle. So the electrons don't go along the rest of the electron transport chain to end up in the stroma which means they aren't available to reduce NADP. The ATP is made in this by the ATP Synthase enzyme that combines ADP and an inorganic phosphate group together.
How do you make ATP with no proton gradient
The Illuminati
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexok)
What benefits would cyclic phosphorylation have for the plant, or why does it begin to happen
when no water is available?
Alexok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Illuminati)
when no water is available?
Oh yeah doh
123emily
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How do you make ATP with no proton gradient
The diagram I have in my revision book shows H+ ions being taken into the stroma by ATP Synthase in the same way as Non-cyclic photophosphorylation (in chemiosmosis to generate ATP) but I'm not sure where the protons come from.

Are you sure photolysis doesn't occur in cyclic photophosphorylation? I can't think of where else they would come from
The Illuminati
Rep:
?
The diagram I have in my revision book shows H+ ions being taken into the stroma by ATP Synthase in the same way as Non-cyclic photophosphorylation (in chemiosmosis to generate ATP) but I'm not sure where the protons come from.

Are you sure photolysis doesn't occur in cyclic photophosphorylation? I can't think of where else they would come from
My textbook and a load of mark schemes say cyclic= no photolysis.
Is your revision book CGP?
????
123emily
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My textbook and a load of mark schemes say cyclic= no photolysis.
Is your revision book CGP?
????
Oh right

Yeah it's CGP

I really don't know where the protons come from then but that's how it shows generation of ATP in cyclic photophosphorylation in the CGP book
The Illuminati
Rep:
?
Oh right

Yeah it's CGP

I really don't know where the protons come from then but that's how it shows generation of ATP in cyclic photophosphorylation in the CGP book
My CGP book shows H+ too.
Oh well let's just hope that there isn't an 8 mark question on that.
123emily
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My CGP book shows H+ too.
Oh well let's just hope that there isn't an 8 mark question on that.
Yeah lol and I really hope because it's not in the books that we don't need to know it for the exam
Joe1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cyclic photophosphorylation occurs when there is no NADP available to act as the final electron acceptor. So the electron from photosystem 1 replaces itself. Hence why only ATP is produced in cyclic photophosphorylation and not Reduced NADP.
shakerlicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I remember correctly, cyclic photophosphorylation is used when there is not enough ATP produced in the light dependent phase for the calvin cycle. Without sufficient ATP, the calvin cycle would stop. Also, NADPH2 would begin to build up. So in cyclic photophosphorylation, only photosystem I is used, and the electrons released from it is recycled back to the same photosystem. This process produces ATP but not NADPH2. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads