The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

LGBT Durham

Hey just a thread for LGBT offer holders to come and make first contact with people, see if we can get to know people before we've even met them. So post your course and your college (if you know it yet) and whatever else you wanna say and lets get the ball rolling :smile:
Here's the LGBT site for Durham http://www.durhamlgbta.org.uk/ (very useful)
I've been offered Natural Sciences and been allocated St Aiden's College :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Photox
Hey just a thread for LGBT offer holders to come and make first contact with people, see if we can get to know people before we've even met them. So post your course and your college (if you know it yet) and whatever else you wanna say and lets get the ball rolling :smile:
Here's the LGBT site for Durham http://www.durhamlgbta.org.uk/ (very useful)
I've been offered Natural Sciences and been allocated St Aiden's College :tongue:

I'm a current student at the university, and will just post to say I can try and answer questions about the LGBTa and the scene in Durham (if Willow (?) isn't around atm - I guess she's left Durham now anyway) if you have anything to ask!

Currently we're just starting Pride Week (in the past it's just been an LGBT Awareness Week) run by the Durham University LGBT association - several talks and discussions on, coffee socials, and alcohol-related socials (I missed the one this evening due to clashing commitments).

Also don't take anything I say too strongly, as I've not actually turned up to a society event for months. :tongue:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey there! just accepted my unconditional offer for Applied Psychology, got into John Snow College. I was just wondering, what's the LGBT scene like around Durham and Stockton? Are people generally conservative or its pretty chill? :smile:
Original post by anaaadisko
Hey there! just accepted my unconditional offer for Applied Psychology, got into John Snow College. I was just wondering, what's the LGBT scene like around Durham and Stockton? Are people generally conservative or its pretty chill? :smile:

I'm afraid I can't speak for Stockton, but in Durham city the LGBT 'scene' is virtually non-existent apart from the student LGBTa which runs weekly 'safe space' socials in the Riverside Café in the DSU, and less frequent regular nights out (Klute more frequently in recent weeks), as well as a number of other events such as organising Q Week (now Durham Pride Week).

I'd say Durham is a fairly conservative uni as they go, but people are still pretty chilled out about sexuality - I've never really encountered any homophobia at all around.
Reply 4
I firmed my unconditional offer for biomed with foundation at John Snow. I can't obviously speak for the colleges but the area in general is gay-friendly. There are regular gay nights in local towns Darlington and Middlesbrough. Of course there is Newcastle aswell which has a bigger gay scene.

Quick Reply

Latest