The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

How is the gay scence at Aber University?

Hi all, I am going to come to Aber University this September. I am from Asia

I would like to know more about the University's LTBG activities. Is the school friendly with us? Can I find someone for me there? :smile:

Thank you.
Reply 1
Right, well:

One of the "downsides" of the gay scene in Aber is that there's no specific gay venues. That being said, I haven't seen any homophobia and Aber is rather tolerant to everyone. And hopefully the Guild will implement a Zero Tolerance policy in the union bars soon. With discrimination based on sexuality being illegal in Britain, of course the University are friendly and the Guild are also - the Equal Opportunities Officer is there for precisely that, to represent minorities and fight for equality, provide support, etc. The current officer is LGBT but I'm not sure whether that's actually a requirement.

Aber however is rated rather well on its LGBT society - indeed, it's the most gay-friendly university in Britain according to Stonewall. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jul/06/aberystwyth-gay-friendly-prize-stonewall

AberPride's website is here: http://users.aber.ac.uk/scty04/en/index.shtml and they're a rather friendly bunch so send them an email if you have any questions.

As to whether you can find someone for you there, I'm afraid I can't answer that! :wink:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Hey, just thought I would add my bit here.

I was a bit nervous about the gay scene before I got to Aber, but i've found everyone incredibly accepting. There are more than a few of us around, and we're not that difficult to find :smile:
Reply 3
I thought they still stoned gays in West Wales. Along with the burning of witches and wicker effigies. Well, it's good to see them moving forward. If they can only stop speaking that silly language they call Welsh ...
Original post by bachnguyen
Hi all, I am going to come to Aber University this September. I am from Asia

I would like to know more about the University's LTBG activities. Is the school friendly with us? Can I find someone for me there? :smile:

Thank you.

I have heard its very good you will be well welcome

Quick Reply

Latest