The Student Room Group

High Street vs High End

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fields
Of course I wear clothes from the high street too, but they serve no other purpose than as something to wear and will often have a short life. Many of these are, of course, influenced by the work of higher end designers, but once the trend has passed they will cease to be interesting. The 'original' designer equivalent, on the other hand, will continue to appeal long into the future as they are, in a sense, pieces of history.

pieces of history, that s absolutely right, sounds like how Coco Chanel and Christian Dior write about the Little black dress and 'New look' in the history of fashion. why don't menswear brands have those such big fashion masters as well...even though the trends are reflected through those high street fashion brands but they sorta 'borrow' fashion design ideas from high end..cannot agree with you more..very insightful x.
Reply 21
Original post by 2ndClass
I buy most of my clothes from Debenhams.

Debenhams could be a paradise for shopping trips, as you know it s more than just selling good quality and trustworthy clothes ranges with quite a range of brands merchandising, but also selling very stylish home stuff, fragrance stuff, sometimes with discounts and sales..so one trip, everything included x.
Reply 22
Original post by falling
Ahh yeah it's classs, the clothes are nice, good quality and not too expensive :biggrin:
No, don't think I ever have tbh, but I love the stuff in it!

Nice, i might go and have a look, i have seen the SS12 lookbook once, the style in the lookbook are quite classic and with a twist for modern young generation. great. zara could be a good place for slightly high end feeling but a high street brand x.
Reply 23
High street. Not like Primark or even H&M (bought a cardigan from there like 2 years ago and the threads unravelled and virtually came apart after one wash, grr). Shops like Zara, Pull & Bear, Mango, Bershka (occasionally), Warehouse (used to, not so much now), Esprit, Uniqlo. I bought a jumper from Lyle & Scott last week but since I've only ever bought one item from there, I don't think I can really say I 'shop' there haha. Ultimately I want something that I like but that's also good quality. That's not to say that H&M and New Look and stuff are rubbish (as I've mentioned before, I've purchased items from these stores before) but I've found that since I've grown older, I've drifted away from New Look etc etc and more towards higher-end high street shops, if that makes sense. Also, shops like New Look and H&M tend to be overrun with 14 year olds...the ones I've frequented anyway.

Don't really know if I've answered your question haha, I've just babbled on..

I've never paid 100 pounds for a single piece of clothing, but I've bought pieces that are worth 100+...Ive just bought them in the sales!
Personally I'm very much high street rather than high end although with shoes and bags I'd rather spend a bit more.
Reply 25
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Personally I'm very much high street rather than high end although with shoes and bags I'd rather spend a bit more.

Considering the lifespan of shoes and bags, maybe clothes should be changed more often, even though sometimes those out of season clothes sitting in the wardrobe, you know they are not worn out but you still won't wear them. but shoes and bags can be very functional under so many situations i have to agree. yeah spending more money on shoes and bags work for me as well.

Thanks for commenting x
Reply 26
Original post by alexsasg
High street. Not like Primark or even H&M (bought a cardigan from there like 2 years ago and the threads unravelled and virtually came apart after one wash, grr). Shops like Zara, Pull & Bear, Mango, Bershka (occasionally), Warehouse (used to, not so much now), Esprit, Uniqlo. I bought a jumper from Lyle & Scott last week but since I've only ever bought one item from there, I don't think I can really say I 'shop' there haha. Ultimately I want something that I like but that's also good quality. That's not to say that H&M and New Look and stuff are rubbish (as I've mentioned before, I've purchased items from these stores before) but I've found that since I've grown older, I've drifted away from New Look etc etc and more towards higher-end high street shops, if that makes sense. Also, shops like New Look and H&M tend to be overrun with 14 year olds...the ones I've frequented anyway.

Don't really know if I've answered your question haha, I've just babbled on..

I've never paid 100 pounds for a single piece of clothing, but I've bought pieces that are worth 100+...Ive just bought them in the sales!

Don't worry, you answered my question perfectly tbh. thanks for writing such insightful comments to me on this thread. I am happy to see that you buy clothes from Lyle&Scott, which i have not bought any from them; however i have curiosity on this brand, is it a high quality brand, is it similar to Jack Wills or you know the brands who like to write their logos on other people's chest. haha. I totally get it when you say about when you grow older and you outgrown the fast-fast fashion brands for example H&M whose quality is not that pleasant and lifespan is extremely short..i have the similar feeling on this issue, so i stop buying from that brand for quite a long time. but when collaboration with big names such as Versace, and in march Marni, i wish i was in the queue to get one piece from the collection.

haha,so one question, are you interested in those h&m collaboration with big names in the industry? are you the person will be queuing up for Marni's collaboration this march? haha, how about David Beckham's underwear range, what do you think about it?

xx
I doubt few (if any) people on tsr (mostly students in their teens / early twenties) buy high end designer gear (upwards of £300 for a pair of shoes such as Dior, Oscar de la Renta etc) or £1000 for a coat. If you meant higher end high street / branded items like JW, FCUK, Ted Baker then fair enough.
For me it depends on how often I wear the item and how much use I'll get out of it. I tend to go to Primark and H&M for holiday essentials that I'll probably not get much use of in the cold UK weather, and spend a little more on those items I'll wear quite a bit (leather boots or a nice coat).
I have found cheaper brands (especially H&M) to crease really easily, and don't wash well, so I'll avoid them if I want something that I think I'll be wearing quite often.
Even then, I won't spend a ridiculous amount (no more than £100 for each I mentioned), and I'd make sure they were key pieces that weren't going to go out of fashion and make sure they were in versatile colours or styles.
I buy quite a bit in the sales (Zara and Next mostly) but I don't have that many clothes.
Quality not quantity. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I'd say most of my wardrobe is H&M and Topshop, I'd love to buy from higher end places but can't afford to :frown: I do have a gorgeous vintage Ralph Lauren tweed blazer I got for £45 from Urban Outfitters vintage section, I love vintage stuff because I hate people wearing similar things to me, when they do I instantly go off them. For example everyone's wearing rock band tshirts atm, and my friends and mum keep pointing them out to me in topshop like 'Rose, you like Def Leppard don't you?!' and I'm like yeah, but I don't want the tshirt that some 15 year old will wear and not have a clue who they are, then chuck it in 6 months when the trend dies. Grr.
Original post by samueljing
just wondering which range of clothes you guys normally purchase? clothes from high street or from high end? what brands?

don't know it is real that no one buys a piece of clothes more than £100...

x

(wanted to create a poll, but don't know how..haha x)

Got a pair of shoes for 130 (church), but they'll most probably last me a good 5 or so years... the type that get better with age.

Raw demin jeans is another, spent around 100 on a pair and they only get better wtih age and last ages.

Most of my clothes are high street with the exception of a few pieces. Its easier to buy a more expensive item if you justify it by calculating the average cost per wear.
Reply 30

Don't worry, you answered my question perfectly tbh. thanks for writing such insightful comments to me on this thread. I am happy to see that you buy clothes from Lyle&Scott, which i have not bought any from them; however i have curiosity on this brand, is it a high quality brand, is it similar to Jack Wills or you know the brands who like to write their logos on other people's chest. haha. I totally get it when you say about when you grow older and you outgrown the fast-fast fashion brands for example H&M whose quality is not that pleasant and lifespan is extremely short..i have the similar feeling on this issue, so i stop buying from that brand for quite a long time. but when collaboration with big names such as Versace, and in march Marni, i wish i was in the queue to get one piece from the collection.

haha,so one question, are you interested in those h&m collaboration with big names in the industry? are you the person will be queuing up for Marni's collaboration this march? haha, how about David Beckham's underwear range, what do you think about it?

xx

The Lyle & Scott jumper I ordered hasn't arrived in the post yet but from what I've heard, they seem to be good quality. I've never bought from Jack Wills and I don't go out of my way to buy things with logos plastered on the front, but I was looking for a good quality v neck jumper and that's what I happened to find. I liked the design (and the logo is only a little crown, so it's not really flashy or anything) so I bought it.

Nope, not really interested in these 'collaborations'. If I really, really wanted a designer piece e.g. Versace (which I don't, I think designer stuff is way too overpriced! And I don't like a lot of it tbh), I'd save up and buy the real thing.

I'm a girl so I don't really have much of an opinion on men's underwear collections, haha.
Reply 31

pieces of history, that s absolutely right, sounds like how Coco Chanel and Christian Dior write about the Little black dress and 'New look' in the history of fashion. why don't menswear brands have those such big fashion masters as well...even though the trends are reflected through those high street fashion brands but they sorta 'borrow' fashion design ideas from high end..cannot agree with you more..very insightful x.

Well if you think of mens they don't have 'fashion' staples they tend to have style/quality staples. Navy blazer with chinos is standard and will work forever. A navy lounge suit will never go out of fashion. A single button, peak lapel dinner suit will also be something that will always work.
If you invest in higher end mens tailoring then you will end up with 'friends for life'. Items that will last you for the age of 20 to 60 as long as you stay in shape and if you look after them they will still look just as good as when you bought them. I have a second hand G&H tweed sports jacket that is 5 years older than me but looks like new and quality leather shoes that are 10+ years old have incredible uppers that don't require any polish to shine but glisten like mirrors.

It is all their for mens but it is just that bit more subtle and sadly a lot of men don't appreciate quality.
Reply 32
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
I doubt few (if any) people on tsr (mostly students in their teens / early twenties) buy high end designer gear (upwards of £300 for a pair of shoes such as Dior, Oscar de la Renta etc) or £1000 for a coat. If you meant higher end high street / branded items like JW, FCUK, Ted Baker then fair enough.
For me it depends on how often I wear the item and how much use I'll get out of it. I tend to go to Primark and H&M for holiday essentials that I'll probably not get much use of in the cold UK weather, and spend a little more on those items I'll wear quite a bit (leather boots or a nice coat).
I have found cheaper brands (especially H&M) to crease really easily, and don't wash well, so I'll avoid them if I want something that I think I'll be wearing quite often.
Even then, I won't spend a ridiculous amount (no more than £100 for each I mentioned), and I'd make sure they were key pieces that weren't going to go out of fashion and make sure they were in versatile colours or styles.
I buy quite a bit in the sales (Zara and Next mostly) but I don't have that many clothes.
Quality not quantity. :h:

I m sure there are people here have different view about wearing and purchasing fashion items with different view and diverse method. they might afford the high end brands what i mentioned are more about Dior, Burberry, or sometimes include slightly cheaper version ready-to-wear side line of luxury brands for example, D&G. they are exciting brands with quite a depth history behind the brands to support today's popularity.

Some high street fashion brands are producing very good quality clothes but sometimes labelled with quite high prices as well. but for us mostly young generation, you are right, stores like H&M is good place to get something that you know they won't last and they are competitively cheaper. in other words, after one wash, those clothes are not suitable for wearing any longer, why should we pay a premium money to buy those in first place. yeh shoes and bags quite functional i agree that might take time and spend more money on as they could last for years and years.

I love sales personally, when i don't have that piece i like when it was full price, but discounted in a sales period. but sometimes when i bought something really expensive, but that piece is in the sales with a shocking price, that makes me not happy about haha

xx
Reply 33
Original post by Fields
You can appreciate high end clothing even when you're not wearing it. Just looking at it, touching it, thinking about what it is and what it represents, how it came into being etc. brings a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction. High street clothes are just something you wear, like you might buy a cheap print from Ikea to brighten up your room. I view my collection of high end pieces, on the other hand, as more akin to a fine art collection. I find this approach to fashion far more interesting and fulfilling than chasing trends on the high street, so I do buy a lot from what would be considered the 'high end'.

This is one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever had the pleasure to read on TSR :congrats: It really is an investment for life and something to love and admire. Even if you cannot afford the items they are aspirational pieces were you think you would happily not buy any clothes for a year or two to save up for that piece that will be with you for life.
Reply 34
Original post by rosee92
I'd say most of my wardrobe is H&M and Topshop, I'd love to buy from higher end places but can't afford to :frown: I do have a gorgeous vintage Ralph Lauren tweed blazer I got for £45 from Urban Outfitters vintage section, I love vintage stuff because I hate people wearing similar things to me, when they do I instantly go off them. For example everyone's wearing rock band tshirts atm, and my friends and mum keep pointing them out to me in topshop like 'Rose, you like Def Leppard don't you?!' and I'm like yeah, but I don't want the tshirt that some 15 year old will wear and not have a clue who they are, then chuck it in 6 months when the trend dies. Grr.

Thanks for comments, you are the first person who mentioned vintage shop and second hand fashion items are back to people's wardrobe among all of us. very nice indeed.

Tweed?! Blazer?! Ralph Lauren? these three words are something i m really interested in..also tweed is really popular in fashion this season i mean AW11 don't you think. so sometimes when you buy these vintage fashion items, they are actually in season, and plus you get a premium one without paying too much. well done. really? everyone wears those t-shirt? maybe i m bit out of season now hahah x.
Reply 35
Original post by Mess.
This is one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever had the pleasure to read on TSR :congrats: It really is an investment for life and something to love and admire. Even if you cannot afford the items they are aspirational pieces were you think you would happily not buy any clothes for a year or two to save up for that piece that will be with you for life.

agree, agree, agree, and cannot agree with more x.
Reply 36

agree, agree, agree, and cannot agree with more x.

Just a heads up from an F&B mod :h: Just incase you haven't noticed the little button on the posts with a '+' sign and speech marks is a 'multi-quote' function, that means you can quote lots of people but just in one post.
As an aside from that it is great to see someone enthusiastic about fashion and new to the forum so welcome :yy:
Reply 37
Original post by Mess.
Well if you think of mens they don't have 'fashion' staples they tend to have style/quality staples. Navy blazer with chinos is standard and will work forever. A navy lounge suit will never go out of fashion. A single button, peak lapel dinner suit will also be something that will always work.
If you invest in higher end mens tailoring then you will end up with 'friends for life'. Items that will last you for the age of 20 to 60 as long as you stay in shape and if you look after them they will still look just as good as when you bought them. I have a second hand G&H tweed sports jacket that is 5 years older than me but looks like new and quality leather shoes that are 10+ years old have incredible uppers that don't require any polish to shine but glisten like mirrors.

It is all their for mens but it is just that bit more subtle and sadly a lot of men don't appreciate quality.

I did say there are less historical figures famous and dramatic like womenswear brand Chanel and Dior, however, i was not saying quality is not the first rule when you buy a piece of clothes instead of considering on trends. there is nothing wrong to consider on trends in anyway. We all know that menswear in today's market is on its way to involve more modern fashion element, more colours, and more structures that never used in the history..Even though there are loads men are conventional in terms of buying behaviour. What we call 'fashion' here is quite wide-defined, fashion is something mainstream popularity that shared within a social group. So there are must be a group of men agree with navvy blue blazer with gentlemen look is hot and in fashion, but for other groups like who have different views will think fashion is all bout colour and changes, because they have different background with different social norms. in any way, there is nothing wrong to wear something outside of navy blue or any other structure rather than blazer and tailored suits. Just depend on the identity you are perceive yourself, who you would like to be, who influence in your decision making and what feedback you have when you wear certain clothes and styles.

x
Reply 38
Original post by Mess.
Just a heads up from an F&B mod :h: Just incase you haven't noticed the little button on the posts with a '+' sign and speech marks is a 'multi-quote' function, that means you can quote lots of people but just in one post.
As an aside from that it is great to see someone enthusiastic about fashion and new to the forum so welcome :yy:

i m so sorry that it's my first time using forum system, i have total newbie here, if anything i do wrong, i can make a change. sorry again, i will try and learn. thanks x.
Reply 39
I did say there are less historical figures famous and dramatic like womenswear brand Chanel and Dior, however, i was not saying quality is not the first rule when you buy a piece of clothes instead of considering on trends. there is nothing wrong to consider on trends in anyway. We all know that menswear in today's market is on its way to involve more modern fashion element, more colours, and more structures that never used in the history..Even though there are loads men are conventional in terms of buying behaviour. What we call 'fashion' here is quite wide-defined, fashion is something mainstream popularity that shared within a social group. So there are must be a group of men agree with navvy blue blazer with gentlemen look is hot and in fashion, but for other groups like who have different views will think fashion is all bout colour and changes, because they have different background with different social norms. in any way, there is nothing wrong to wear something outside of navy blue or any other structure rather than blazer and tailored suits. Just depend on the identity you are perceive yourself, who you would like to be, who influence in your decision making and what feedback you have when you wear certain clothes and styles.

x

Thats why I was avoiding the word fashion when it comes to the items/staples I was talking about. Those staples are seen as traditionally stylish items that are also timeless, specifically (in England) ones made on Savile Row, which has traditionally been number 1 in the world for this sort of thing. Similar to how a 'little black dress' is timeless as opposed to fashion. Pretty much every woman will have one and should have one, so pretty much every man should have one Savile Row suit in their lifetime.

Fashion is a completely seperate entity in this situation and seems to be something that is slightly more aimed towards the high street. High end whilst 'leading' the fashion world will (off the catwalk) err towards timeless and stylish and away from seasonal fashion.

i m so sorry that it's my first time using forum system, i have total newbie here, if anything i do wrong, i can make a change. sorry again, i will try and learn. thanks x.

Don't worry about any mistakes :h: It is just a heads up to make your introduction to the forum a little easier. If you have any questions then feel free to drop me a personal message :h:

Quick Reply

Latest