The Student Room Group

Optometry or Pharmacy??

I know they're both saturated but I feel like they're the two id enjoy the most. I like chemistry and find the idea of pharmacy interesting, but I also like biology which made me think of optometry. Id ultimately like to work in a hospital rather than community pharmacy or a high street optician so which would be better? I think id probably enjoy pharmacy more but I'm scared I won't get a job and waste my time and money for nothing. plus I've seen optometrists online saying that the job is basically a sales job.
Original post by tsracclol
I know they're both saturated but I feel like they're the two id enjoy the most. I like chemistry and find the idea of pharmacy interesting, but I also like biology which made me think of optometry. Id ultimately like to work in a hospital rather than community pharmacy or a high street optician so which would be better? I think id probably enjoy pharmacy more but I'm scared I won't get a job and waste my time and money for nothing. plus I've seen optometrists online saying that the job is basically a sales job.

i swear optometry isnt saturated? theres so few optom schools and theres a lot of jobs available. unlike pharmacy which is quite saturated tbf
ive heard about optometrist having to do sales too but apparently thats the dispensers who do that. not actual optometrist who do the exams and stuff
im applying for optom this yr so may be a little biased idk tho
Reply 2
If you feel like you’d enjoy pharmacy more then I would go with that.
Personally I feel like there’s more jobs in pharmacy than there is in optometry
There are many sectors such as pcn, gp practice, hospital, community, industry, regulatory affairs, final medical signatory (which is very high pay).
Whereas in optometry I personally found it limiting after I researched both careers.

As for saturation I wouldn’t focus on it too much. People have been saying this for years and there are still plenty of jobs with high salaries in the field.
There is someone I know in 4th year who is the branch manager of a pharmacy and they haven’t even finished their degree, with their pre reg still yet to do!
You most certainly will always have a job as it is a healthcare career.

As you can see I’m probably biased but that’s only because I was in this same position last year of having to decide. Ultimately you have to do your own research and go with what you think you will enjoy more. People think that just because you have a degree you are entitled to an immediate £100k job for example however in order to progress and do well within a career you have to keep constantly learning and it is these people that end up having a higher status and salary within their field.
At the end of the day whichever you chose they are both well paid jobs and don’t let the scaremongering that happens on these forums put you off!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending