The Student Room Group

Equipment for computer science

Hi i wanted to know what equipment i should have for computer science undergrad course especially a laptop recommendation. I do plan move onto postgrad. I am thinking of buying a asus zenbook 14x
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ibby221
Hi i wanted to know what equipment i should have for computer science undergrad course especially a laptop recommendation. I do plan move onto postgrad. I am thinking of buying a asus zenbook 14x

The thinking part of me would hold off until you get to university. Once you have settled in, you can ask what sort of software you might need to install both under and post grad. This will help you spec your device. Secondly, you may be able to get a significant student discount once you have enrolled either through companies offering discounts or through a university preferred provider. And whilst you are waiting for delivery, there will be plenty of computers in university to use so you won't miss out.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Surely as a computer science student you have some idea what equipment and specs you’ll need?!
Reply 3
Original post by Cat21466
Surely as a computer science student you have some idea what equipment and specs you’ll need?!

no it doesnt really say except 16 gb ram and windows 10 and above but i dont want to be one of those people to get a laptop that is speced out way to much for the course but dont want one that is under spec that is wont last and issue will be caused
Reply 4
You’re thinking too hard about it. You won’t be doing anything absolutely requiring a high powered gaming laptop. Just get a normal business windows laptop from Dell to take notes and do basic programming, computer science departments have labs with computers that will have anything special you need.
Original post by Cat21466

Hey @Cat21466
I am a current computer science student at Lancaster University and I can confirm that there is no specific need for a high end gaming laptop or one with high specs.
Most of your coursework and lab work will be done inside the labs on the university desktops. Your use of personal laptop will be more for essays, online reading, emails, Netflix, notes etc. Or maybe some coding on IntelliJ or vs code. Any laptop with i7 or even i5 will be able to run these following apps. You can opt for one of your preference, it can be windows, mac, linux anything of your personal preference.
I had a friend who did not even have a personal laptop in their first year for the entirety of term 1 because they would use lab desktops or the one in the university for any coding that had to be done.

So don't stress too much about equipment!
Hope this helps,
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending