The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Anyone put Brunel down as firm?

Hiya,
I've got Brunel down as my firm choice for journalism (Nottingham Trent for insurance) and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some other people who have either put firm for the same course or just the uni in general, as the whole thing is getting kinda real now. :eek:
So has anyone actually got this uni as their firm? What grades have they asked you for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've put Brunel as my firm choice. Business and Management (Marketing) with Placement Year, with an offer of BBB. What grades do you need? :smile:
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey Thur,

I've picked Brunel for Economics as my firm! Looking forward to it! (With placement)

I've got an offer for BBC! How about you?
Me!
Product design BSc - need BBB
Reply 4
I have! I chose Biomedical Science and need BBB. Good luck :smile:
Got an unconditional offer from Brunel for Biomedical science :smile: I just put them down as a firm choice. All the best everyone!
Reply 6
Original post by T0MM3H
I've put Brunel as my firm choice. Business and Management (Marketing) with Placement Year, with an offer of BBB. What grades do you need? :smile:

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, had an EMPA and it has all been a bit hectic with that and all my other subjects. I need BBB too, which seems quite generous compared to most other universities in London (Kent wanted AAB for the same course). Worried that if i go there everyone will look down on me though, as i'm from the North and know how people in 'that London' like to take the piss.
Looking forward to spending time with people who are actually intelligent though, i'm a bit of an anomaly in my family (does that make me sound egotistical? Oh well) and am sick of having to explain half the things i say
Are you a Londoner or do you come from somewhere exotic and exciting like me (Yorkshire, lol)?
Reply 7
Original post by msbjls
I have! I chose Biomedical Science and need BBB. Good luck :smile:

Sorry it's taken a while to repy, been busy having to do an EMPA 'nd stuff at sixth-form. Biomedical science is really cool, i wanted to do a science but bombed in chemistry, thus am doomed to have a career revolving round the written word (which is the only thing i'm any good at outside science, although the U i got in chemistry does suggest i'm not quite as good at Science as i think i am:colondollar:).
Brunel isn't quite as good acedemically (pretty sure i spelt that wrong) compared with some of the other universities i got offers from, but i expect it to have the most variation in the types of people and cultures there. This is a big thing for me, as i have spent the last eight years at a school/sixth-form in a village at the arse end of North Yorkshire, where there is about as much cultural variation as you'd find in a BMP party conference. Plus a lot of people are quite old fashioned and intolerent, so much so the closest place that sells condoms is a twenty minute drive away (odd example?).
What subjects do you do at the moment then? Don't look at what 'brownshuga92' has posted on this page, might get you a little annoyed:s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by MrTwist
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, had an EMPA and it has all been a bit hectic with that and all my other subjects. I need BBB too, which seems quite generous compared to most other universities in London (Kent wanted AAB for the same course). Worried that if i go there everyone will look down on me though, as i'm from the North and know how people in 'that London' like to take the piss.
Looking forward to spending time with people who are actually intelligent though, i'm a bit of an anomaly in my family (does that make me sound egotistical? Oh well) and am sick of having to explain half the things i say
Are you a Londoner or do you come from somewhere exotic and exciting like me (Yorkshire, lol)?

No worries - I have all my coursework deadlines coming up soon so I've been pretty busy too! :/
Yeah, I know what you mean. Although hopefully people will have matured enough by the age of 18 to not judge people based on where they are from.
Haha! Nope, nowhere exotic - Surrey. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MrTwist
Sorry it's taken a while to repy, been busy having to do an EMPA 'nd stuff at sixth-form. Biomedical science is really cool, i wanted to do a science but bombed in chemistry, thus am doomed to have a career revolving round the written word (which is the only thing i'm any good at outside science, although the U i got in chemistry does suggest i'm not quite as good at Science as i think i am:colondollar:).
Brunel isn't quite as good acedemically (pretty sure i spelt that wrong) compared with some of the other universities i got offers from, but i expect it to have the most variation in the types of people and cultures there. This is a big thing for me, as i have spent the last eight years at a school/sixth-form in a village at the arse end of North Yorkshire, where there is about as much cultural variation as you'd find in a BMP party conference. Plus a lot of people are quite old fashioned and intolerent, so much so the closest place that sells condoms is a twenty minute drive away (odd example?).
What subjects do you do at the moment then? Don't look at what 'brownshuga92' has posted on this page, might get you a little annoyed:s-smilie:

I got a U in chemistry too but did a re-sit and got a few grades better :smile: Journalism is also a very interesting subject so you have a good choice. Lol odd example but makes sense haha :P
I do maths, biology and philosophy & ethics at the moment as I only did chemistry for AS. What subjects are you doing at the moment? and have you applied for accomodation yet (assuming you're staying in Halls)?
And yes, slightly annoyed at what 'brownshuga91' wrote but lucky her! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi, I've got an Unconditional from Brunel to study Business & management (placement course) visited the place the other week, looks really nice with nice accommodation and brand new business facilities opening in September.

However I'm not racist or nothing but i noticed a lot of ethnic diversity around the Uni. I'm just wondering what like the ratio is of white/black/Asian etc.. Just helping me get a better sense of the place i might be studying for 3 years, so i don't make any mistakes.
Reply 11
Graduating from Brunel this year, emotional times. you will not regret choosing Brunel!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Trebours
Hi, I've got an Unconditional from Brunel to study Business & management (placement course) visited the place the other week, looks really nice with nice accommodation and brand new business facilities opening in September.

However I'm not racist or nothing but i noticed a lot of ethnic diversity around the Uni. I'm just wondering what like the ratio is of white/black/Asian etc.. Just helping me get a better sense of the place i might be studying for 3 years, so i don't make any mistakes.

Why does it matter what raced people are there? when you said your not racist-it shouldnt matter. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by msbjls
I got a U in chemistry too but did a re-sit and got a few grades better :smile: Journalism is also a very interesting subject so you have a good choice. Lol odd example but makes sense haha :P
I do maths, biology and philosophy & ethics at the moment as I only did chemistry for AS. What subjects are you doing at the moment? and have you applied for accomodation yet (assuming you're staying in Halls)?
And yes, slightly annoyed at what 'brownshuga91' wrote but lucky her! :smile:

Lol, It's good of you to be suportive to 'brownshuga', i don't imagine i'd be a big enough person to do the same
I got U's in all three parts of my chemistry, and i'm pretty sure i answered one of the questions in a main exam with the word 'custard', so don't really think a retake would of helped me in that subject. I was really, really bad:frown:
I do English language, English Literature and Human Biology. I'm actually really jealous that you get to the Philosophy because i really wanted to do that but my sixth-form doesn't have it as a course. They give you a choice of taking 16 different languages at A-level, yet if you want to do something common-place like Law or Philosophy you're screwed :smile:
Yeah i've already applied for accomodation. Litle surprised by the process though, i only got to pick the type of room and if i wanted an en-suite. I was told somewhere they do small profile of you to match you with suitable room-mates. Have you applied for it yet? And do you have any idea if what i heard is true or just optimistic rumours?
Have you seen the accomodation there? There is between ten and twelve people per appartment (if i remember correctly) which seems like a hell of a lot considering their size. I mean, you do get your own room and everything, but if you don't have an en-suite that means there is at-least ten people sharing a bathroom; up to 24 if there is one bathroom pe floor. Don't much like the idea of having to wait in line an hour every morning just to brush my teeth:frown:
Concious that my reply is really long again so sorry about that :redface: Do you know anyone going to that university? I know some people tend to go to the same uni's as their friends (though admittedly i'm getting that knowledge from 'Pramface')
Reply 14
Original post by s_s_1991
Graduating from Brunel this year, emotional times. you will not regret choosing Brunel!!!

I'm glad to hear you say that, i've never actually been 100% confident i made the right choice choosing Brunel over Not Trent
Reply 15
Original post by MrTwist
Lol, It's good of you to be suportive to 'brownshuga', i don't imagine i'd be a big enough person to do the same
I got U's in all three parts of my chemistry, and i'm pretty sure i answered one of the questions in a main exam with the word 'custard', so don't really think a retake would of helped me in that subject. I was really, really bad:frown:
I do English language, English Literature and Human Biology. I'm actually really jealous that you get to the Philosophy because i really wanted to do that but my sixth-form doesn't have it as a course. They give you a choice of taking 16 different languages at A-level, yet if you want to do something common-place like Law or Philosophy you're screwed :smile:
Yeah i've already applied for accomodation. Litle surprised by the process though, i only got to pick the type of room and if i wanted an en-suite. I was told somewhere they do small profile of you to match you with suitable room-mates. Have you applied for it yet? And do you have any idea if what i heard is true or just optimistic rumours?
Have you seen the accomodation there? There is between ten and twelve people per appartment (if i remember correctly) which seems like a hell of a lot considering their size. I mean, you do get your own room and everything, but if you don't have an en-suite that means there is at-least ten people sharing a bathroom; up to 24 if there is one bathroom pe floor. Don't much like the idea of having to wait in line an hour every morning just to brush my teeth:frown:
Concious that my reply is really long again so sorry about that :redface: Do you know anyone going to that university? I know some people tend to go to the same uni's as their friends (though admittedly i'm getting that knowledge from 'Pramface')

Lol. Aww i'm sure you would have done better if you did retake but I know dropping chemistry and taking up philosophy for A2 instead was the best choice I ever made :smile: Don't think I would've been able to put up with any more chemistry. And wow! 16 languages?! Our sixth form only does two! :O
Yeah I've applied for accomodation too and was just as surprised as you when there were very few questions about your preference. I'm sorry I have no idea about the profile match but I have seen it and I liked it very much :smile: The rooms weren't too small and the en- suite was a good size too. I don't remember seeing any parts of accomodation at Brunel where everyone on the same floor shared a bathroom but I wouldn't really wanna wait to use it every morning :frown:
And I do not mind at all reading your reply so no need to apologise :smile: I don't personally know anyone that is going to that university as all my close friends have chosen uni's outside of London... only person I know is you for now lol :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by msbjls
Lol. Aww i'm sure you would have done better if you did retake but I know dropping chemistry and taking up philosophy for A2 instead was the best choice I ever made :smile: Don't think I would've been able to put up with any more chemistry. And wow! 16 languages?! Our sixth form only does two! :O
Yeah I've applied for accomodation too and was just as surprised as you when there were very few questions about your preference. I'm sorry I have no idea about the profile match but I have seen it and I liked it very much :smile: The rooms weren't too small and the en- suite was a good size too. I don't remember seeing any parts of accomodation at Brunel where everyone on the same floor shared a bathroom but I wouldn't really wanna wait to use it every morning :frown:
And I do not mind at all reading your reply so no need to apologise :smile: I don't personally know anyone that is going to that university as all my close friends have chosen uni's outside of London... only person I know is you for now lol :smile:

Haha bless :smile: Sorry for the delay, it was my 18th on tuesday and i'm snowed under with work so this week has been rather hectic. The exams are getting scarily close now, i don't really think it's fair that there is so much riding on just a couple of hours :frown: i keep imagineing opening that little letter and having second rate grades
So did you pick Brunel because you're local? I know some people don't really like moving away from their family so pick somewhere close just for that reason (a friend of mine is gonna still live at home while at uni), or was it just good for your course?
Reply 17
Original post by MrTwist
Haha bless :smile: Sorry for the delay, it was my 18th on tuesday and i'm snowed under with work so this week has been rather hectic. The exams are getting scarily close now, i don't really think it's fair that there is so much riding on just a couple of hours :frown: i keep imagineing opening that little letter and having second rate grades
So did you pick Brunel because you're local? I know some people don't really like moving away from their family so pick somewhere close just for that reason (a friend of mine is gonna still live at home while at uni), or was it just good for your course?

Late Happy Birthday :smile: Yeah they are really close now :/ Starting all my revision this week ... not so much of a easter holiday.

Brunel isn't actually that close to me, about 2 hours away. It's a uni in London and as you said, I didn't wanna move too far away from my family. But i didn't wanna be too close so i've decided to not to live at home.

How about you? What made you choose Brunel?
Reply 18
Original post by msbjls
Late Happy Birthday :smile: Yeah they are really close now :/ Starting all my revision this week ... not so much of a easter holiday.

Brunel isn't actually that close to me, about 2 hours away. It's a uni in London and as you said, I didn't wanna move too far away from my family. But i didn't wanna be too close so i've decided to not to live at home.

How about you? What made you choose Brunel?

Got an iphone the other week so havent really been using my laptop much, that's why it keeps taking so long to reply. When a student room app comes out i will be able to talk much more frequently.
That's weird that you live in London yet it takes two hours for you to get to Brunel, i never thought the City was so big! I chose Brunel because, with Journalism, London is the best place to be if you want a decent career, and only two Universities in London are acredited by the NCTJ (they're like a council that says which universities can actually get you a job as a journalist, a bit like Offstead for secondary schools i think).

I know what you mean about revision, it must be much harder for you than me though because my Englishes don't require much, whereas the sciences you took are a bitch to revise; i only do one and have been revising since Jan in an attempt to remember it all, so i can't imagine the work you'd need to put in :rave: (there wasm't a sympathetic smiley so i used this in stead)

Just realised i've been talking to you for a while but don't actually know much about you at all:s-smilie: Are you one of the party people or are you more of a stay home and study type person? Or are you one of those really irritating that has an amazing social life yet still manages to get As across the board? Probably shouldn't have put irritating in that last description in case you are that type of person, sorry if you are :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by MrTwist
Got an iphone the other week so havent really been using my laptop much, that's why it keeps taking so long to reply. When a student room app comes out i will be able to talk much more frequently.
That's weird that you live in London yet it takes two hours for you to get to Brunel, i never thought the City was so big! I chose Brunel because, with Journalism, London is the best place to be if you want a decent career, and only two Universities in London are acredited by the NCTJ (they're like a council that says which universities can actually get you a job as a journalist, a bit like Offstead for secondary schools i think).

I know what you mean about revision, it must be much harder for you than me though because my Englishes don't require much, whereas the sciences you took are a bitch to revise; i only do one and have been revising since Jan in an attempt to remember it all, so i can't imagine the work you'd need to put in :rave: (there wasm't a sympathetic smiley so i used this in stead)

Just realised i've been talking to you for a while but don't actually know much about you at all:s-smilie: Are you one of the party people or are you more of a stay home and study type person? Or are you one of those really irritating that has an amazing social life yet still manages to get As across the board? Probably shouldn't have put irritating in that last description in case you are that type of person, sorry if you are :smile:

Lol no problem. A student room app would be great actually, never really thought of that. And yeah I never knew the city was so big either until i decided to go to an open day at Brunel and it took me two hours!

You're luck you picked Englishes, sometimes I regret picking these subjects :/ And haha this smiley is cute enough :smile:

Lol that's true, I don't know that much about you either. I do like to party but I'm not a party animal. I do enjoying going out with friends often and when I'm not I just stay at home and either study or just chill out. Haha I'm not one of those people that have an amazing social life and get As, although sometimes I wish I could be like that.

How about you? Are you a party person? I don't see you as someone that just sits at home and studies all the time for some reason :smile: And what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending