The Student Room Group

MORSE vs Eco and math.

Hello, i have applied to MORSE at warwick ( got an offer) and waiting for math and economics at LSE. I really like math ( A levels: math, economics, further math) but i really like economics and thats why i want to study kind of like both of them. What i would like to ask is, if MORSE in your opinion is better deegree than math and eco at LSE, and that if morse i will learn as much as economics as the course in LSE. Which one you think has more employment possibilities? Which one you think is harder or more intresting?

Thank you very much:smile:
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
guys , i really need your opinion. If anyone wants to share his thoughts please DO.
Reply 3
Original post by vagelis1
Hello, i have applied to MORSE at warwick ( got an offer) and waiting for math and economics at LSE. I really like math ( A levels: math, economics, further math) but i really like economics and thats why i want to study kind of like both of them. What i would like to ask is, if MORSE in your opinion is better deegree than math and eco at LSE, and that if morse i will learn as much as economics as the course in LSE. Which one you think has more employment possibilities? Which one you think is harder or more intresting?

i think as a uni lse is better because its more respected and its in london. not sure if morse or econ and maths is better.
Reply 4
Thats true , and thank u for ur reply.
Reply 5
Seriously, bumped after 5 hours?

I'd say if you really wanted to study Maths and Econ, the best place to do it probably is LSE. Warwick has the stronger Maths department, whilst LSE has the stronger Economics department.

The MORSE degree itself has very little Economics (as far as I know) - although you could change that with what your options.

Employment prospects would be strong for either I imagine - although I think LSE may have the edge because of the name.
Original post by non
i think as a uni lse is better because its more respected and its in london. not sure if morse or econ and maths is better.

is the bolded even a reason?
Reply 7
LSE's Maths department is not very good. But most choose it for maths because of the reputation rather than any degree content (I'm still undecided).

Having said that, the most finance jobs are too competitive for an LSE or Warwick degree to be sifficient. Other things matter more.
Reply 8
Original post by quint101
LSE's Maths department is not very good. But most choose it for maths because of the reputation rather than any degree content (I'm still undecided).

Having said that, the most finance jobs are too competitive for an LSE or Warwick degree to be sifficient. Other things matter more.

of an lse or warwick degree can get you into the top roles in IB as lse is like the 3rd best institution for a finance job.

Original post by Tsunami2011
is the bolded even a reason?

of course it is because there are lots of jobs in london so it's easier for internships and it's also better for networking.
Reply 9
wow thank you very much on your opinions it really helps me decide.

i am open for more opinions.

thank you all for helping and sharing ur thoughts.
Reply 10
You will learn a HELL of a lot more economics in the Maths and Economics course. You will learn a HELL of a lot more OR/stats in the MORSE course than Maths and Economics.

So the way I see it, it's a choice between OR/stats and economics really.

I really think though that LSE's Maths and Economics course is more prestigious/better regarded than Warwick's MORSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
partly true, but in MORSE there is a lot of applied mathematics and i beleive warwick is better in math than LSE. So i will learn better math in general i think...But what about campus? i heard that warwick has a huge campus and great social life and low cost of living in comparison with Lse ( london)
Reply 12
partly true, but in MORSE there is a lot of applied mathematics and i beleive warwick is better in math than LSE. So i will learn better math in general i think...

The Warwick course covers more topics than LSE, that's true. It's just the nature of LSE degrees, they focus on depth rather than breadth (you do 4 modules per year, compared with Warwick where it's a heck of a lot more). It's not really BETTER maths though, calculus at LSE is the same as calculus at Warwick, maths can't be BETTER at one place than another. When people talk about Warwick having a good maths department, what they're really talking about is RESEARCH. The research in maths at Warwick is far better than at LSE - but does that affect you in the slightest as an undergrad? No.

But what about campus? i heard that warwick has a huge campus and great social life and low cost of living in comparison with Lse ( london)

Warwick seemed dead to me. I had an offer for Maths at Warwick, I made it my firm choice on UCAS, visited Warwick on an open day after that and I totally hated it. It's so dead in my opinion. People there go out to Leamington Spa or something (or Coventry) and even those places are just dire compared with London. I would really recommend visiting Warwick before making any decision. On results day, after my Warwick offer turned unconditional, I withdrew my application, took a gap year and reapplied.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
yes i must visit, thats true.one irrelevant question. Is it possible to rapply to unis that they made u an offer but you didnt end up with these marks?

thank you. ( and keep posting opinions about morse and math and eco and lse vs warwick)
Original post by Swayum
The Warwick course covers more topics than LSE, that's true. It's just the nature of LSE degrees, they focus on depth rather than breadth (you do 4 modules per year, compared with Warwick where it's a heck of a lot more).

Why is it impossible to have depth and breadth? I mean, if you wanted to you could just take loads of modules in one branch of mathematics and that would give you plenty of depth in that area.
The research in maths at Warwick is far better than at LSE - but does that affect you in the slightest as an undergrad? No.

The research the department does has a very strong influence on third and fourth year modules. I can only vouch for the analysis side, but the modules offered in these two years at Warwick are great. L^p spaces are covered in a reasonable amount of detail from term 1 in the third year. After that you move on to the kind of things you can get from understanding lebesgue integrals, like stochastic calculus, quantum mechanics and sobolev spaces. Other universities will cover this material later.
Reply 15
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Why is it impossible to have depth and breadth? I mean, if you wanted to you could just take loads of modules in one branch of mathematics and that would give you plenty of depth in that area.

It's not, I'm just saying that LSE lacks breadth. I don't know if Warwick has depth or not, but it certainly has a lot more breadth.

The research the department does has a very strong influence on third and fourth year modules. I can only vouch for the analysis side, but the modules offered in these two years at Warwick are great. L^p spaces are covered in a reasonable amount of detail from term 1 in the third year. After that you move on to the kind of things you can get from understanding lebesgue integrals, like stochastic calculus, quantum mechanics and sobolev spaces. Other universities will cover this material later.

The fact that the department does research in these areas makes these modules available, but in a 3rd year course you won't really be learning much from their actual research though, right? The sort of stuff that's put in exams will be the kind of mathematics that's been around for at least 2 decades, not cutting edge stuff your lecturers probably work on.

I can understand that 4th year may be different though.

yes i must visit, thats true.one irrelevant question. Is it possible to rapply to unis that they made u an offer but you didnt end up with these marks?

In what sense? If you miss your Warwick offer and then reapply with the same grades, you probably won't be made an offer again. If you meet your Warwick offer but reapply, you probably will receive an unconditional offer next time (but there's no guarantee). If you miss your offer and reapply telling them that you'll do retakes, then I don't know really, could go either way (best to e-mail them and ask I guess).
Original post by Swayum
It's not, I'm just saying that LSE lacks breadth. I don't know if Warwick has depth or not, but it certainly has a lot more breadth.

Fair enough.

The fact that the department does research in these areas makes these modules available, but in a 3rd year course you won't really be learning much from their actual research though, right?

Well, one of our third year modules had a proof that came from 2010, but I think that was definitely the exception rather than the rule.

The sort of stuff that's put in exams will be the kind of mathematics that's been around for at least 2 decades, not cutting edge stuff your lecturers probably work on.

I can understand that 4th year may be different though.

Even then, at least 2 decades sounds reasonable. I guess my point is that if a department is good at research across lots of different areas then it is likely to offer a good variety of courses, which is really useful IMO.
Reply 17
Bro this is actually me, same situation, same offers, same a levels just 12 years in the future rofl

Quick Reply

Latest