The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

MORSE-Warwick

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the MORSE course at Warwick? I saw somewhere that it is 8% and somewhere else that it is 70%. Have just had an offer and am interested to know if it is a competitive course
Original post by Tessa19191818
Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the MORSE course at Warwick? I saw somewhere that it is 8% and somewhere else that it is 70%. Have just had an offer and am interested to know if it is a competitive course

It's probably much closer to 70% than it is to 8%. I would assume around 40-60%, along with one of Warwick's most competitive courses (Economics) also having an acceptance rate near 50%, although MORSE is probably more respected and difficult than Economics, the specific course MORSE does have a very good reputation.
But Warwick have a different selection process to most other unis, they tend to give out a lot of offers, and to people with strong grades (they mainly look at grades - if your grades are strong you'll most likely get an offer), and hence they have such high offer rates, much higher than the places available, but due to their much higher grade requirements for the offer compared to other top unis, many of the students who get an offer are unable to meet the requirements and secure their place, therefore this manages to filter out a lot of offer holders ensuring only the top students get in.

In summary, rather than most unis who filter out most applicants during the selection process before they give offers, Warwick instead tends to give a lot of offers and then filter out offer holders based on the final A Level grades they get, and manage to do so with their high offer conditions.

But Warwick's MORSE is an amazing and competitive course and the entry req are already so high only top candidates can apply, so congratulations on your offer!
(edited 3 months ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Tessa19191818
Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the MORSE course at Warwick? I saw somewhere that it is 8% and somewhere else that it is 70%. Have just had an offer and am interested to know if it is a competitive course


I don't have the figures, but it's possible that those are both correct figures referring to different things. For example, it's possible that 8% of those who apply will go on to successfully take it (i.e. go to study MORSE at Warwick) and the remaining 92% may or may not get an offer but choose to go elsewhere, or don't make the grades, or don't get an offer at all; whereas 70% could, for example, be the offer rate, i.e. be the percentage of students who apply that get an offer, whether they accept it or not.

As above, I don't have the figures but this sounds similar to a course I was interested in UCL, which, at the time, had like 1 place per 11 offers, i.e. about a 9% "acceptance rate" but gave out way more offers than that and wasn't actually super competitive, as obviously not everyone who get an offer would accept it. I have heard, for Maths at least, that Warwick gives out quite a few offers but with quite high conditions, so this could be an explanation for the discrepancy.
Original post by melancollege


I don't have the figures, but it's possible that those are both correct figures referring to different things. For example, it's possible that 8% of those who apply will go on to successfully take it (i.e. go to study MORSE at Warwick) and the remaining 92% may or may not get an offer but choose to go elsewhere, or don't make the grades, or don't get an offer at all; whereas 70% could, for example, be the offer rate, i.e. be the percentage of students who apply that get an offer, whether they accept it or not.

As above, I don't have the figures but this sounds similar to a course I was interested in UCL, which, at the time, had like 1 place per 11 offers, i.e. about a 9% "acceptance rate" but gave out way more offers than that and wasn't actually super competitive, as obviously not everyone who get an offer would accept it. I have heard, for Maths at least, that Warwick gives out quite a few offers but with quite high conditions, so this could be an explanation for the discrepancy.


Yeah this seems right.
I presume that the MORSE offer rate is 70% but it’s acceptance rate (those who enrol onto the course) is 8%.
Are you talking about acceptance rate in terms of successful applicants who matriculate into the university in the fall, or acceptance rate in terms of offers made? As the two are very different things.

Maths at Warwick, it's flagship course which is considered among the top 4 in the UK and considered to be extremely competitive, had before covid an offer rate of around 90%. However, every offer had a STEP condition which most failed to achieve.

Since MORSE is offered in conjunction with the maths department I suspect it may have a high offer rate but also STEP conditions attached to that.
Original post by Tessa19191818
Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the MORSE course at Warwick? I saw somewhere that it is 8% and somewhere else that it is 70%. Have just had an offer and am interested to know if it is a competitive course

hi! i applied for morse too, what were ur stats if u dont mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest