The Student Room Group

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by nerd434
Do you have to wait for everyone to finish? If we finish early we can leave after 30 minutes!

Last 2 questions:

You know for the one that asked about the non metal that conducts electricity, i just wrote 'carbon' and not graphite, do not think that'll be ok?

Did you get 'condensation for one of the answers, not sure of the question.

(PS. you've been a great help :biggrin: )
I thought the paper was OK. Some of the wording confuzed me. What did people do with adding Br to the polymer?? It had + Br - Br ... I don't have a clue what that was all about?
Reply 122
we were alllowed to leave 15 minutes early on both, but i was done for about an hour in general and 40 mins in credit
I drew a cycloalkane shape, because when I drew the alkane shape it wasn't completely saturated.
That was surprisingly easy! I'm happy with that. I know I've made a few silly little mistakes (forgot what the name for group 7 was :facepalm: ) but I'm hoping for a one after that. :smile:

Original post by nerd434
Those were the two I was contemplating over, but HCl is typically a liquid at room temperature so I assumed they meant it was a liquid. (It can be toxic in a gas form)

NO2 is toxic in fumes so I went for that as the question said gas..

I put HCL and CO and I'm hoping for the mark. It's incredibly corrosive and would kill you nastily in high doses (think severe chemical burns to the trachea and throat.) Plus it's one of the three answers that I learned for burning plastics. :biggrin: (CO, HCL and HCN)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nerd434
It's not a gas though?

It can be a gas it said 'which gas...?', meaning they were all gasses. HCl(g)..
Original post by nerd434
It's not a gas though?

It is. HCL is a gas at room temperature. :smile:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/278690/hydrogen-chloride
Reply 127
For the electrolysis question did people write the equation in reduction or oxidation form?
Reply 128
Original post by gildo
For the electrolysis question did people write the equation in reduction or oxidation form?

I put reduction.
Original post by gildo

What question was that one?
Reply 130
Original post by Blobbymodo
What question was that one?

The one with magnesium and chlorine
Reply 131
Original post by gildo
The one with magnesium and chlorine

I can't particularly remember although I think I did oxidation?
[QUOTE="LEWIS4596;37535454"]See the question with what type of chemical reaction was and it was talking about starch?

What was the answer?

and the same question but about titanium ?[/QUOTE

the starch one not hydrolysis and titanium displacement? :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by eilidhb
I can't particularly remember although I think I did oxidation?

I did oxidation also but people I spoke to did reduction so I'm not sure
Reply 134
Original post by AtomSmasher
I wasn't entirely sure about that one since, if you inhale hydrochloric gas, it will dissolve in the alveoli of your lungs. I'll probably regret putting HCl instead of NO2... I suppose NO2 is toxic, HCl is just corrosive.

Hcl is correct :smile: our teacher went over some of the questions once we had finished :P
Original post by LEWIS4596
I put reduction.

I did oxidation because it was asking for the production of chlorine which is in the gas form so it must be 2Cl-(aq) > Cl2(g) + 2e-
Reply 136
Original post by gildo
I did oxidation also but people I spoke to did reduction so I'm not sure

I'm pretty sure it must have been oxidation because it said the equation for the formation of chlorine gas which only takes place in oxidation. :-)
Original post by nerd434
Those were the two I was contemplating over, but HCl is typically a liquid at room temperature so I assumed they meant it was a liquid. (It can be toxic in a gas form)

NO2 is toxic in fumes so I went for that as the question said gas..

The answer was CO and HCl, our chemistry teacher went over the paper with us afterwards.
Original post by eilidhb
I'm pretty sure it must have been oxidation because it said the equation for the formation of chlorine gas which only takes place in oxidation. :-)

It is oxidation! However, in previous marking instructions sometimes the 2 equations have been accepted - so you'd definitely get the mark for oxidation but maybe/maybe not reduction.
What did people put for the multiple choice question about how to get something like calcium carbonate from a mixture of solid calcium carbonate and some other soild?? I put dissolving and filtration but was unsure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending