The Student Room Group

Dentistry SQA

Hi Everyone , Hope everyone is pleased with their results I manged to get AAABC in my higher results
My As where in Biology,Maths,Pe, My B was in Chemistry and My C in English.
Im looking to apply for dentistry and i would like to know if my results would be considered and if not will i have to retake Chemistry and English again?. (Also sitting my Ucat exam during september and my current Subjects for s6 are AH Bio, AH Chem, and higher geography I would like to know what will i need to retake and what subjects I will need to do in s6.)
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Student0611
Hi Everyone , Hope everyone is pleased with their results I manged to get AAABC in my higher results
Im looking to apply for dentistry and i would like to know if my results would be considered and if not will i have to retake Chemistry and English agai?. (Also sitting my Ucat exam during september and my current Subjects for s6 are AH Bio, AH Chem, and higher geography I would like to know what will i need to retake and what subjects I will need to do in s6.)
Hello :hello:

First of all WELL DONE on achieving this :grin:

Second, there are some dental schools you would not be eligible for, but some where you might be. If you click on the link below, you'll see all the entry requirements for each dental school.

Get a piece of paper, and list the ones you would still qualify for - then what you would need to study and/or resit to fully qualify for each one.

If you need help with that I'd be happy to do it, but won't be able to until Thursday this week I'm afraid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Dental-school-entry-requirements-2022.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjm-Z_Jo82AAxXrTEEAHdYICR4QFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0s4R8o1QncRWDckT1aht3R
I've answered this already in another thread. I will copy over mh reply from there soon.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Hello :hello:

First of all WELL DONE on achieving this :grin:

Second, there are some dental schools you would not be eligible for, but some where you might be. If you click on the link below, you'll see all the entry requirements for each dental school.

Get a piece of paper, and list the ones you would still qualify for - then what you would need to study and/or resit to fully qualify for each one.

If you need help with that I'd be happy to do it, but won't be able to until Thursday this week I'm afraid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Dental-school-entry-requirements-2022.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjm-Z_Jo82AAxXrTEEAHdYICR4QFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0s4R8o1QncRWDckT1aht3R

That would be fantastic, would I be able to give you a text on Thursday?
That would be fantastic, would I be able to give you a text on Thursday?
Just quote me again on this thread tomorrow
Im looking to apply for dentistry and i would like to know if my results would be considered and if not will i have to retake Chemistry and English again?. (Also sitting my Ucat exam during september and my current Subjects for s6 are AH Bio, AH Chem, and higher geography I would like to know what will i need to retake and what subjects I will need to do in s6.)

Hello!

So your results for highers were:
A Biology
A Maths
A PE
B Chemistry
C English

The following Dental Schools have standard entry courses in the UK:
*Birmingham - AAAAA at Highers or AB Advanced Highers plus AA Highers, including Chemistry and Biology.
If they take resits then you can resit Higher Chem to an A and do 2 advanced highers to get AB. Then you would meet their requirements.
Bristol - AAAAB, including Chem.
Cardiff - AAAAA and AA Advanced Higher.
Dundee - AAAAB, including Biology (preferably Human Biology) and Chemistry. These are to be obtained at the first sitting of Highers.
*Glasgow - AAAAB at Scottish Highers including grade A in Biology/ Human Biology and Higher Chemistry and a pass at grade C in Maths/Physics and English/ESOL. Advanced Highers in a minimum of three subjects with Biology or
Chemistry at grade B.
So you need to resit High Chemistry and do three Advanced Highers where you need Bs, including Bio or Chem.
KCL - AAA at Higher in one sitting and AA at Advanced Higher (we do not count
the Higher and Advanced Higher in the same subject). Must include grade A in Advanced Higher Chemistry or Biology.
This means you would need to NOT do Advanced Higher Biology, you'd need Advanced Higher Chemistry grade A and something else.
*Leeds - Needs a B in Higher Chem, Bio, English and Physics or Maths. Then either 3 or four Advanced Highers either AAA or AABB. As need to be in Bio and Chem. You'd also need to resit Higher English.
*Liverpool - AAAAA at Higher level and AAA at Advanced Higher-level including Chemistry and Biology.
Manchester - AAAA at Highers by the end of Secondary 5 and at least AA at Advanced Highers by the end of Secondary 6.
*Newcastle - AAAAA at Highers normally including Biology and
Chemistry. Two Advanced Highers also normally required (minimum A/B) to
include Biology and/or Chemistry.
Resitting and/or taking more highers required if you do this.
Plymouth - A*AA AAB at Advanced Highers, including A Biology and 1 further science.
QMUL - Scottish Highers not mentioned - enquiry needed.
QUB - Scottish Highers not mentioned - enquiry needed.
*Sheffield - AAAAB including Biology and Chemistry. Resitting /extra Higher required to get another A.

You need to find out the policy on resit qualifications for: Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield.

I count 4 Dental Schools which are excluded to you but you need to pay clear attention to the above information when deciding your next steps so that you can access as many of these as possible.

Here if you have more questions.
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Hello!

So your results for highers were:
A Biology
A Maths
A PE
B Chemistry
C English

The following Dental Schools have standard entry courses in the UK:
*Birmingham - AAAAA at Highers or AB Advanced Highers plus AA Highers, including Chemistry and Biology.
If they take resits then you can resit Higher Chem to an A and do 2 advanced highers to get AB. Then you would meet their requirements.
Bristol - AAAAB, including Chem.
Cardiff - AAAAA and AA Advanced Higher.
Dundee - AAAAB, including Biology (preferably Human Biology) and Chemistry. These are to be obtained at the first sitting of Highers.
*Glasgow - AAAAB at Scottish Highers including grade A in Biology/ Human Biology and Higher Chemistry and a pass at grade C in Maths/Physics and English/ESOL. Advanced Highers in a minimum of three subjects with Biology or
Chemistry at grade B.
So you need to resit High Chemistry and do three Advanced Highers where you need Bs, including Bio or Chem.
KCL - AAA at Higher in one sitting and AA at Advanced Higher (we do not count
the Higher and Advanced Higher in the same subject). Must include grade A in Advanced Higher Chemistry or Biology.
This means you would need to NOT do Advanced Higher Biology, you'd need Advanced Higher Chemistry grade A and something else.
*Leeds - Needs a B in Higher Chem, Bio, English and Physics or Maths. Then either 3 or four Advanced Highers either AAA or AABB. As need to be in Bio and Chem. You'd also need to resit Higher English.
*Liverpool - AAAAA at Higher level and AAA at Advanced Higher-level including Chemistry and Biology.
Manchester - AAAA at Highers by the end of Secondary 5 and at least AA at Advanced Highers by the end of Secondary 6.
*Newcastle - AAAAA at Highers normally including Biology and
Chemistry. Two Advanced Highers also normally required (minimum A/B) to
include Biology and/or Chemistry.
Resitting and/or taking more highers required if you do this.
Plymouth - A*AA AAB at Advanced Highers, including A Biology and 1 further science.
QMUL - Scottish Highers not mentioned - enquiry needed.
QUB - Scottish Highers not mentioned - enquiry needed.
*Sheffield - AAAAB including Biology and Chemistry. Resitting /extra Higher required to get another A.

You need to find out the policy on resit qualifications for: Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield.

I count 4 Dental Schools which are excluded to you but you need to pay clear attention to the above information when deciding your next steps so that you can access as many of these as possible.

Here if you have more questions.

Hi thanks very much for your kindness and time. I have booked the ucat for this September would I need to sit it and apply this year for the unis or resit get my results and sit the ucat next year and apply.
Also the Glasgow requirements you sent me are outdated they don't require 3 Advanced highers anymore.
Some Unis have also changed their requirements as these were the 2022 entry
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi thanks very much for your kindness and time. I have booked the ucat for this September would I need to sit it and apply this year for the unis or resit get my results and sit the ucat next year and apply.
Also the Glasgow requirements you sent me are outdated they don't require 3 Advanced highers anymore.
Some Unis have also changed their requirements as these were the 2022 entry

For UCAT, I honestly don't know as admissions tests are outside of my expertise. But thinking about when to take UCAT should come after you decide what to do about your qualifications. Because UCAT is useless if you don't have the entry grades.
Yes you are correct these requirements are for a previous year - it's up to you to research the correct ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending