The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
It isn't topshop....
Reply 81
Original post by Chris..
call me a hipster but i think i prefer the name Stanford/Imperial over oxbridge...oh and i like the name Durham...sounds like one of those of those old school schools to me, like the ones with "Lower 1st" instead of year 6" and "upper third" instead of year 9.

LOL, "Caaaambridge" also sounds so much smarter and somehow more sophisticated than "Ox-f'urd".

If I was a rich kid at private school I think I would try and head to the States though, nearly all the top US Unis are way ahead of the top Brit ones and have better parties. Unis like Harvard, Princeton and Stanford are also coolly upper-class in their manners and are better at excluding the ghastly riff-raff who clutter up even the best British colleges. Apart from St Andrews and Exeter of course.
Reply 82
Original post by Fires
I was attempting a joke, not only on the visible presence of the Scottish flag in your ID but also on the traditional theme that Scotland has a better and more self-awarely-good educational system than England.

I doubt that Scotland is much on OPs horizons other than Edinburgh and St Andrews, neither of which (puzzlingly) she mentioned - and they are fave haunts of the spoiled brat classes are they not?

ohh right :colondollar: well, I find that in Scotland you are encouraged to go to either Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow or St. Andrew's if you have 4/5 Higher passes.
Do you think she knows that we have Universities here :tongue:
However, Edinburgh is nice, but does feature many hipsters :tongue: not sure about St. Andrew's though :tongue:
Original post by Steezy
This thread kinda makes me want to vomit.

truer words.....
Original post by SoNottingH

EDIT Lol at all the negs - as if nobody else has thought for one minute about which Uni is on the way up and which down?? Which is coolest? All I'm asking is opinions on that, so far everyone is just pretending to be smarter and above all this. Lots of people talk about which is most "in".

Did you mean popular choices? Perhaps popular initial choices, the names which people are familiar with before they look indepth/realistically at university. In which case your list is true. But all I know is a ****load of people from my school applied to Portsmouth. Left right and centre. As for most underrated, SOAS.
Reply 85
This is such a pointless thread.
Reply 86
Fashionable university, eh? How about mine:

Aberystwyth, University of Wales; you probably haven't heard of it. Out in the country cos the city life is sooooo last yah. More charity stores and coffee shops than you could shake a stick at. VINTAGE. 1970s style accommodation and about a third of people have to share rooms because there's not enough of it: SO RETRO ITS LIKE SUMMER CAMP. and apparently it's the gay capital of Wales so ANDROGYNOUS DRESSING ALL ROUND. It's semi-obscure and lots of people can't pronounce it: no chance of selling out to the masses. Oh and dying your hair pink or blue or any colour ever is like the norm here. Totes. Most people don't have TVs so you can live out a PROPER HIPSTER EXISTENCE.

We even have a local company that organises buses to secret warehouse parties. Like for real. GTFO.

And anyone who doesn't think Aber is fashionable should be ignored! They probably don't even recycle! Students at Aberystwyth aren't mainstream, they're trendsetters.

Did I mention it was in the country? Yah. Organic food, like. It's also quite a small place so you can walk everywhere (except McDonalds but that is AN EVIL COOPERATION of oppression of the masses and chickens and whatever anyway). If you study at Aber, you won't even have a carbon footprint. There are loads of sheep and there's even this cute language called Welsh which is like completely alternative, you've probably never heard of it.

COME TO ABERYSTWYTH. It's sooooooooooo ironic. But FYI, I went to Aber before everyone else started to.
Reply 87
This is all kind of ridiculous but the Times worldwide reputation rankings gives you some idea about what are viewed as the top universities, and (unlike many rankings) its a very reasonable ordering since its just based on asking academics what they think are the best universities in their area, which avoids the problem of trying to work out how to measure and weight different criteria:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/reputation-rankings.html

Note: its biased towards research universities and therefore top teaching institutions like the French ecoles are severely underrated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by willbee

COME TO ABERYSTWYTH. It's sooooooooooo ironic. But FYI, I went to Aber before everyone else started to.

I'm at Edinburgh, which has moved beyond irony and even beyond post-ironic.
Original post by Fires
Agree about the US unis on the international league, but sorry, sadly it's just a huge delusion at Oxford that they are still holding up. Cambridge is racing ahead on all kinds of fronts. The truth is that now, in the top 10 of the planet, Cambridge is the only real British player. Sorry all you Oxford folks, I'm sure you feel very privileged and up yourselves for being there, but you chose the wrong one. (or couldn't get in the other one, more likely).

You say this, yet Oxford ranked 4 on the THE 2011-2012 rankings so what are you basing this opinion on :confused:
Original post by Steezy
This thread kinda makes me want to vomit.

Sweet name.
Reply 91
Original post by confused dot com
You say this, yet Oxford ranked 4 on the THE 2011-2012 rankings so what are you basing this opinion on :confused:

Insider info, dangerous suspicions, fashionable hunches. Sleepless nights. Over-active yearnings. People who work at Oxford and Cambridge and working as a Uni marketeer. :smile:
Original post by willbee

Aberystwyth, University of Wales;

And here's an Aber alumnus getting down on the dance floor (or discotheque as it is known) to prove it.

[video="youtube;CPncTy2AKeI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CPncTy2AKeI[/video]
Harvard
Cambridge
MIT
Stanford
USC Caltech
Imperial/Warwick/Durham
Oxford
Yale
Princeton
LSE

Warwick and Durham are on par with LSE and Imperial.
Original post by Chris..
call me a hipster but i think i prefer the name Stanford/Imperial over oxbridge...oh and i like the name Durham...sounds like one of those of those old school schools to me, like the ones with "Lower 1st" instead of year 6" and "upper third" instead of year 9.

Surely upper third is actually year 7? Upper/lower sixth is still even called that, you have to count backwards.
Original post by takethyfacehence
Well yeah, we all know that the whole world knows Oxbridge. But none of your friends know any other English uni? How ignorant are they?

Gosh, I'm terribly sorry for having such stupid friends, but where I live going to university outside Scotland is almost unheard of... In fact, going anywhere other than Glasgow or Edinburgh is completely out of the ordinary. I'm one of two people in my year who even applied to English universities, and I'm sorry to say that before I started looking at UCAS, I too had never heard of Durham, Exeter, Imperial, UCL or any other of the top English unis. Additionally, when I told people I was applying elsewhere, the general response was 'Why?'

Sorry if that makes me ignorant.
Original post by -chiquitita
Gosh, I'm terribly sorry for having such stupid friends, but where I live going to university outside Scotland is almost unheard of... In fact, going anywhere other than Glasgow or Edinburgh is completely out of the ordinary. I'm one of two people in my year who even applied to English universities, and I'm sorry to say that before I started looking at UCAS, I too had never heard of Durham, Exeter, Imperial, UCL or any other of the top English unis. Additionally, when I told people I was applying elsewhere, the general response was 'Why?'

Sorry if that makes me ignorant.

I don't see why everyone jumped down your throat, it was a completely reasonable thing for you to say.

I was one of three people in my year (out of >200) who went to England, the other two went to Oxford and Cambridge, and I'm at Newcastle which is practically in Scotland anyway.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I was also one of three people who even considered applying to English universities, the interest just isn't there,so people don't know about the universities.
Original post by Fires
Insider info, dangerous suspicions, fashionable hunches. Sleepless nights. Over-active yearnings. People who work at Oxford and Cambridge and working as a Uni marketeer. :smile:

My face when I read this
1j4a.jpg
Original post by madders94
Ah, but not every costume in theatre is tank top and leggings, I had to play the Prince in pantomime in jeans and a rather tight top that, let's say, made it perfectly clear I'm not a boy :tongue:

I'm sure it's not restricted to drama students but we were at the UCAS convention about drama courses and were startled by how many there were dressed that way :biggrin:

You were playing a prince, yet you had to wear clothes that showed that you are not a boy.. That doesn't make sense.

You're right, it's not restricted to drama students. Not even to the UK! A lot of girls from my school rock that look as well. I have to admit that I like wearing leggings myself, though I prefer flowy loose tops over tanks. To each their own.
Reply 99
I never knew that my choice of University is a fashion statement!

If I wanted to be cool I would paint and play music all day. :smile: Unfortunately I am rubbish at these things so studying it is :P

Latest

Trending

Trending