The Student Room Group

idk what uni course to do

i’m doing biology chemistry and english literature alevel but i really don’t know what course to do. i enjoy biology / english but i don’t really enjoy chemistry so i wouldn’t want to do that at uni. i’m also into fashion as a hobby but i understand i can not do that a uni with my choices. in the beginning i wanted to do medicine but now i’m unsure. how can i pick i course i will like?
Good careers website with hundreds of job / role descriptions - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
NHS job profiles - Explore roles | Health Careers

Then look at some Uni courses - check anything that appeals to you and see which A level subjects are needed :
Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex
Course Index A-Z Bath Spa University
Subjects - Courses - University of Liverpool
Original post by annoymous72
i’m doing biology chemistry and english literature alevel but i really don’t know what course to do. i enjoy biology / english but i don’t really enjoy chemistry so i wouldn’t want to do that at uni. i’m also into fashion as a hobby but i understand i can not do that a uni with my choices. in the beginning i wanted to do medicine but now i’m unsure. how can i pick i course i will like?
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

put your a-levels into this website and it will give some degree suggestions.
you could always take a gap year after a levels to figure out stuff and try some things?

Hey !

Picking what you want to do at uni can be difficult as 3 years is a long time! If you're not too sure, have you thought about going to open days and having a chat to the staff in different fields and tried narrowing it down that way?
If there are a couple of fields you are interested in, you could try getting some work experience to see if you enjoy it!

I hope this helps :grin:

-Rebecca, UCLan

Hi @annoymous72

I would maybe suggest attending some open days and going to the talks for the English and biology courses as it may help you decide if that is something you want to study as a degree. You could also check out the courses on university websites and look at the course content and modules and see if it seems like something you would be interested in.

When I was deciding on a university course, I enjoyed both my English and Textile A-levels and so wasn't sure what to do. I ended up doing a 1 year art and design foundation course and this really helped me decide and gave me extra time to attend open days and find a university and course I liked. So if you are interested in fashion this could be an option and at the local collage I went to it wasn't a requirement to have studied any art A-levels, they just wanted to see some work that you have done to see you have an interest in art and in your case fashion. So maybe this could be an option to contact places that offer the foundation course, see what the requirements are and if they would consider offering you a place.

I hope this helps :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

Hi,

It sounds like you have a strong interest in biology and English literature, which is a great starting point for exploring potential career paths. Since you're not enthusiastic about chemistry and are into fashion as a hobby, it's understandable that you're feeling unsure about your course choice. I was in a similar situation as you when I was looking into university as I loved art as a hobby but enjoyed studying sociology and criminology.

Here are a few steps you could consider to help narrow down your options:

Research: Look into various degree programmes that align with your interests in biology and English literature and see what modules you will study. Explore different career paths associated with these subjects to see what resonates with you the most.

Seek Guidance: Don't hesitate to seek guidance from teachers, or career counsellors, family and friends (if your college or school has them available) they might be able to give you advice based on your strengths, interests, and goals.

Have a look at this website: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Remember, it's okay to feel uncertain about your course choice. I actually ended up changing my course during my first month or so at university as I realised it wasn’t the right course for me! So, although it is a big decision it is good to know that it might be possible to change early on if needed (However this might differ depending on the university you are going to).

Take your time exploring your options and trust yourself to make the decision that feels right for you.

Best wishes,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student

Quick Reply

Latest