The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 22 and graduating at 25! Worried about fashion degree course

Hello
I am 22 years old and I will be attending university soon.
Many people have been critical of me wanting to go uni including members of my own family and I have been told that I am too old to do a degree which has depressed me.
I will be studying fashion design at uni but I am worried about being too old for this career and it is also because I believe my parents do not want me to study this subject and I have considered to change my course to please them and the rest of my family as one of my cousins is already a fashion designer. I have grown upset by how late I am and it makes me feel like the odd one out
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Plenty of people go to uni at your age, I'm about to go into my 3rd year and have three friends who are 23/24 so will be around 25 when they graduate. It's relatively common and since you're in a social group with all the other students, most people don't really note who's older or younger - especially if you're in your twenties. You're also definitely not too old for that career, you can reinvent yourself and try something new career-wise at any point in your life. If this is what you want then go for it!! Also, in the grand scheme of things you are still young. And better to try something you want to do than to miss out and regret that because of other people's opinions.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ADTRgirlxo
Hello
Many people have been critical of me wanting to go uni including members of my own family and I have been told that I am too old to do a degree which has depressed me.
I will be studying fashion design at uni but I am worried about being too old for this career and it is also because I believe my parents do not want me to study this subject and I have considered to change my course to please them and the rest of my family as one of my cousins is already a fashion designer. I have grown upset by how late I am and it makes me feel like the odd one out

Hey, I’m in the same position as you- I’m looking to apply to uni for next year and I’ll be 21. My parents are crappy about me going to uni too- just do what will make you happy! F*ck the haters :smile:
Hello

Hello!

I had a similar experience, I was 20 when I started my course and my parents weren't too keen on the idea of me going into the arts.
If you are really passionate about what you do, then 100% go for it. As a generation, we will now have multiple careers in our lifetimes, so pick the building blocks of one that will make you happy!

You are definitely not too old and pleasing your parents over yourself will mean you will keep having to do it. Do your research, choose a school and course that will make you absolutely flourish and work out what you need to get to where you want.

Really happy to have more of a chat if you have any questions, but it sounds like your cousin may be a good starting point too.

Wishing you all the luck in the world on your next steps and do what makes you happy, life is short!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Hello

You're never too old for anything (within reason). I was 23 when I went to uni and I graduated 4 days before my 26th birthday this year, there were even older people than me on my course. The way I look at it is, you could be 3 years older with or without a degree. Don't listen to them, invest in yourself!
(edited 8 months ago)
Hello

It's never too late. University is filled with diverse groups of people of all age ranges, and age is just a number. We'd advise attending a few open days to get a good feel for where you're interested in studying as it'll help you realise just how mixed campuses are. Also remember, you'll age anyway may as well get a degree while it's happening :smile:
Good luck!
University is not just for the young! You can start your higher education journey at any age and there is a huge range of diversities. 100% recommend visiting a university first to get a feel for the campus, student life and ask questions that are important to you. The types of questions I would ask myself would include how much contact time you have with the tutors. Have you had any information about who would be teaching the course to you? Whats facilities are on offer to you as a student?

Remember many famous fashion designers didn't start their career until late 40 and 50s! It's never too late to be creative!!

If you need any other help or advice, give me a shout (we do have an amazing Fashion Design course just in case you're interested!).https://www.aup.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba-hons-fashion-design.

Good luck with your next journey!

Kate
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Hello

Hey @ADTRgirlxo :smile:

Just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling? Have you spoken to your family again and told them that you really want to study fashion design? Doing something you love at uni is so important, it'll help motivate you to succeed and do your best, and you'll just have the best experience. What you study is your choice, and yours alone, so make the choice that's right for you, always follow your gut instincts!

Fashion design sounds like such a cool course! :smile: And you're absolutely never too old to go to university, you'll be surrounded by so many people, of all different ages, so there's nothing to worry about!

I wish you the best of luck!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending