The Student Room Group

Diddy's son's $54,000 scholarship. fair or not??

Scroll to see replies

Not all scholarships are designed to be given to people because they come from a poor background, this one is clearly merit-based and his parents income doesn't change that.
Original post by a.partridge
All I said we his parents clearly are not stingy with giving him money - by demonstrating they have already given him things worth way more. I didn't say anything else.

Course it wasn't a reward it was a 16th birthday - on the show 'super sweet 16' I watched it and it wasn't in recognition of his charity work or anything like that it was just a big $300,000+ gift.

Fair enough.
Reply 22
All the people saying he shouldn't get it are idiots for the following reason:
1) He is NOT his father. His Dad is rich.. so what? He should be making his own way in life, paying for himself is a perfectly respectable thing to do (or in this case, getting a scholarship which he EARNED)
2) How do you know his dad would pay for him? My dad is "rich" and sure as hell didn't pay for me to go to university...
Reply 23
[video="youtube;zhM5YCVoU9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhM5YCVoU9k&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

Sorry.

1.2 million a day

FOR TWO WEEKS

1.2 * 14 = 16 mill approx.

jeez
Reply 24
Original post by Serano
All the people saying he shouldn't get it are idiots for the following reason:
1) He is NOT his father. His Dad is rich.. so what? He should be making his own way in life, paying for himself is a perfectly respectable thing to do (or in this case, getting a scholarship which he EARNED)
2) How do you know his dad would pay for him? My dad is "rich" and sure as hell didn't pay for me to go to university...

not a multi millionaire though
Billionaire?! Mate, he's only worth around $450mil, be easy.
UCLA is mediocre. Considering his wealth he should be disappointed. Due to my perfect memory, I remember Lord Diddy countering claims that he'd spoiled his son with a Maybacher at 16 (:laugh:) by saying he's sent him to the "best" school. It was a state school!
Reply 27
Original post by mournfulpirate
UCLA is mediocre. Considering his wealth he should be disappointed. Due to my perfect memory, I remember Lord Diddy countering claims that he'd spoiled his son with a Maybacher at 16 (:laugh:) by saying he's sent him to the "best" school. It was a state school!

UCLA is not mediocre.
I find it ironic that a lot of students complain about this country's loan system whereby it assumes that parents earning over £x will pay for their kids' fees and yet now that it's happening to a student with a multi-millionaire father they're applying the double standard.

Firstly, the scholarship will obviously have been based on merit and strength of application as opposed to one that's based around the criteria of financial hardship.

Secondly, maybe, just maybe , the student would rather pay his own way through college as opposed to using his father's riches? Maybe he refused his dad's offer to pay. Or maybe Diddy himself refused to pay for his education and told him he has to make it his own way.

I just don't get it, when rich kids use their parents money people complain that they're sponging off rich daddy. Now rich kid isn't using his parents money and again there's complaints.

I agree that there will of course be many students who desperately need a scholarship but it is offered at the uni's discretion and if it's based on merit alone then financial capacity is irrelevant, he clearly must have done very well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
But HE CAN pay when most who want scholarship CANNOT. When you have enough money to put fifty plus LCDs in your bathroom, you should not get a scholarship that others less wealthy than yourselves could utilize.

Equal opportunity? Distributive justice?

EDIT: Being negged for advocating equal opportunity? Only on TSR folks!

You got negged because of the highlighted.

They are not given out on the basis of background or whether someone "wants" it. It is given purely on the basis of ability. They are not going to give more scholarships to the poor if they stop giving the odd rich kid here and there one.
Reply 30
So, what is the purpose of a scholarship again? I think that word needs to be re-defined after this event.

Fair enough he earned it and deserves it, but should he accept it?
(edited 11 years ago)
They can't not give it to him because of his wealth, as they would have to draw a line, and then it becomes financial aid. He earned it, and should get the scholarship.

However, he ought to take the title but tell them to award the money to another student. Anyone saying maybe he wants to pay his own way - he almost certainly has that money himself if his parents really gave him a $300,000 gift, and he can still say he earned the scholarship. He can still say he could have done it without his parents.

What to him is a little quibble over idealism could to another student change the entire course of their life. Nobody should force him to give it away - it's his - but doing so would change the world for the better.
Reply 32
Original post by doggyfizzel
The entire point of a scholarship is for people who want to go, UCLA wants at their uni, but cannot afford it. For every version of this story, there is the other half where the next great scientist, writer, or the surgeon that saves his dad later in life, doesn't get in for the sole reason they aren't rich enough.

Scholarship should be like a grant means tested. Its stupid people can get sports scholarships anyway, might as well include a drinking scholarship thats a popular extra curricular activity too.

this isnt actually true, scholarships are designed to reward those students who have proven to be exceptionally talented in a particular sport, extra-curricular or academic wise. in america anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending