The Student Room Group

What makes you think more 'lol what a prat' - guy wearing Hollister or Dre Beats?

or

Scroll to see replies

Judgmental people.
Reply 2
Hollister, definitely. It shows that you are conscious enough of what people think of you (and your potential wealth) to wear such an obvious and apparently preppy brand, but the irony is that you can't afford the truly luxury stuff like Gucci, Versace, Zegna etc. It must eat away at them everyday. So in the end they just come across as a walking advertisement who would run a mile if they saw the prices on Sloane Street... sad.
Yeh what prats, wearing headphones and all.
I wouldn't judge anyone per sei, I'd just assume the following:

Hollister: Why be a sheep and pay for that, it doesn't even look that nice.
Dre Beats: I could get the same quality for much cheaper, again what a sheep.
Neither really, i don't care enough to judge someone as a prat for wearing different clothes or headphones than i would choose, unless they make it a big thing of it and bring it up all the time and think it makes them cool, but otherwise who cares?
I think what a prat when I see people making judgments about other people based on what they wear.
Reply 7
Original post by x_Natalie_x
Hollister, definitely. It shows that you are conscious enough of what people think of you (and your potential wealth) to wear such an obvious and apparently preppy brand, but the irony is that you can't afford the truly luxury stuff like Gucci, Versace, Zegna etc. It must eat away at them everyday. So in the end they just come across as a walking advertisement who would run a mile if they saw the prices on Sloane Street... sad.

What about people who just like the clothes? :P Can we not wear something we like without having extra meaning to it?

I like the colours, cuts and design of the Hollister products I wear.

I think the shirts especially are uniquely shaped/cut to my liking, they're cut a certain way and a lot shorter than 'most' shirts which means it's acceptable to wear them untucked at all times, for example.
Beats, why the hell would you pay that money for headphones that just don't look good.
Reply 9
Original post by Miracle Day

Hollister: Why be a sheep and pay for that, it doesn't even look that nice.
Dre Beats: I could get the same quality for much cheaper, again what a sheep.

This is exactly what I was thinking of replying. I think they're all just following a trend and showing they've got the money to do so. Worthless.
Reply 10
Swop out for Dre-beats, a nice alternative that isn't breaking your wallet and ACTUALLY looks nice is UrbanEars:
http://www.urbanears.com/headphones/plattan
These plattans are great and i have a pair in blue :biggrin:
Hollister. As someone else said, it is just sad, really.

You have money, but not enough for what you really wanted.
Reply 12
Someone who wears hollister with a pair of beats on him.
Reply 13
Original post by Ali_Ludley
Swop out for Dre-beats, a nice alternative that isn't breaking your wallet and ACTUALLY looks nice is UrbanEars:
http://www.urbanears.com/headphones/plattan
These plattans are great and i have a pair in blue :biggrin:

i used to have those but tbh i prefer beats solos, maybe they are just as good but in my mind, beats are better and so i'd rather just get those-like redbull vs 35p energy drinks.
Reply 14
Original post by Nutini
What about people who just like the clothes? :P Can we not wear something we like without having extra meaning to it?

I like the colours, cuts and design of the Hollister products I wear.

I think the shirts especially are uniquely shaped/cut to my liking, they're cut a certain way and a lot shorter than 'most' shirts which means it's acceptable to wear them untucked at all times, for example.

This. So many times this.

The amount of times I hear people saying 'oh what sheep, why don't they just wear what they want, not what they think is cool', and it just comes across as a bit pathetic. I like Hollister clothes, and I'm certainly less obvious about trying to stick out and be 'cool' than half the people that will look at me with derision. I like Hollister T-shirts, I like JW and Quba shirts, and Crew do some really nice Polos. I still get my jeans from H&M and I buy trousers from M&S, Newlook or wherever. Clothes are clothes and I buy what I like, if you don't like the logo, just keep quiet. And then I wont comment on your lime green cable knit jumper, or your Primark outfit.

Theres just no need for it all.
beats are way expensive

what annoys me is if someone is wearing them i just wanna say ' you could get 4 pairs of awesome headphones for the price of them!'
and then hug them as they've been fooled by the advertising, and Dr Dre (who hasn't done anything decent for years coughDETOXcough)
but yeh its a sympathy thing, although i still got my gf a pair because i knew she liked how they looked...i guess i'd do anything for that girl wow watch out Romeo over here hahaimlonelyhaha but yeh this is MC Romeo signing out x
Reply 16
Beats headphones look ugly and are ridiculously overpriced and terrible value for money. Also everyone I know that owns a pair IS a prat.

Personally I don't shop at Hollister and I really dislike the whole overbranded look but I have to admit that a lot of their products are at least comfortable and good quality. I know a lot of people who wear them not as a status symbol but just because that's where everyone seems to shop, similar to the fact that everyone has an ipod because it's the first thing you think to get when you want an MP3 player. For them it's just the place you'd go to buy a hoodie or shorts or something...

So I'd say Beats headphones were worse. I know plenty non-douchey people that wear Hollister but 100% of the people I know that have Beats are the kind of chumps that feel the need to broadcast it and have some kind of superiority complex because of it.
Original post by x_Natalie_x

What about if you work there and get a discount and enjoy the comfort and quality of the clothing, rather than the brand?
Wearing either doesn't automatically make someone a prat. What's more concerning is if they derive some sort of status or identity from such goods or any other ones. Its not something that should concern you either way though.
Reply 19
Original post by Chris..
i used to have those but tbh i prefer beats solos, maybe they are just as good but in my mind, beats are better and so i'd rather just get those-like redbull vs 35p energy drinks.

I know what you mean but I just love my UrbanEars, have a bit of a fault with the wiring (Cut out music in left ear unless I pull on the chord a little) but nothing I can't handle (Or can be bothered to send them back to sweden...).

Quick Reply

Latest