The Student Room Group

Unable to find a date (24m)

I'm 24, still at uni because I didn't start till late (22). Haven't had a gf or even a date since Primary school. Tried asking out plenty of girls at Secondary, 6th Form College, University, church, sports clubs, online dating etc... Never manage to find anybody that wants me back. Have plenty of female friends but after I've expressed romantic interest in them, even if we stay friends, I can see that they change around me. They look at me differently and frequently seem to be uncomfortable. Never met any women my age through my job and I have a job while at uni and again, never get to meet any women my age. I've tried a few times meeting girls in pubs and clubs but it just isn't really my scene and I feel awkward. I'm probably average looking (maybe slightly better or worse), I have tons of hobbies (history, politics, theology, target shooting, fencing), I go out to events, days out, holidays (U.K. and abroad), go to church (I've been to many different churches of different denominations), joined tons of uni societies (geography, politics, Christian, fencing, dancing etc...), I try to be ambitious now with studies and prospective careers, I drive my own car, go out with friends etc... I'm confident, I can make myself presentable, I can do small talk, I take any interest in the personalities and lives of the women I'm interested in, I've done volunteer work etc... Still I'm always super lonely. I've come to the realisation that I'm probably always going to be alone and never meet anyone. I don't want this to be the case but I pretty much give up. I've tried meeting people in a fairly large town where I'm from, in the nearby villages and in a fairly big city where I'm currently at uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm 24, still at uni because I didn't start till late (22). Haven't had a gf or even a date since Primary school. Tried asking out plenty of girls at Secondary, 6th Form College, University, church, sports clubs, online dating etc... Never manage to find anybody that wants me back. Have plenty of female friends but after I've expressed romantic interest in them, even if we stay friends, I can see that they change around me. They look at me differently and frequently seem to be uncomfortable. Never met any women my age through my job and I have a job while at uni and again, never get to meet any women my age. I've tried a few times meeting girls in pubs and clubs but it just isn't really my scene and I feel awkward. I'm probably average looking (maybe slightly better or worse), I have tons of hobbies (history, politics, theology, target shooting, fencing), I go out to events, days out, holidays (U.K. and abroad), go to church (I've been to many different churches of different denominations), joined tons of uni societies (geography, politics, Christian, fencing, dancing etc...), I try to be ambitious now with studies and prospective careers, I drive my own car, go out with friends etc... I'm confident, I can make myself presentable, I can do small talk, I take any interest in the personalities and lives of the women I'm interested in, I've done volunteer work etc... Still I'm always super lonely. I've come to the realisation that I'm probably always going to be alone and never meet anyone. I don't want this to be the case but I pretty much give up. I've tried meeting people in a fairly large town where I'm from, in the nearby villages and in a fairly big city where I'm currently at uni.

Don’t give up as I have faith that you will find that person you want to be in a relationship with and god is just showing you that you will find that person and you don’t need to be in a relationship with the people you keep trying to be with you will get their in the end
What dating apps have you tried and what sorts of dating only specific events have you done?
Im the same at 23 I thought I'd have a gf and lose it. Then I tried and turned 25 then 26 and 27. And it seems to come very easily to others where they just try a bit and make an effort and that's all. But no matter how much time or energy I put into it. It doesn't work
Hard to come up with a single rule for this phenomenon... but if there is one, it would be "less is more".

I have almost total contempt for the modern dating scene, because of how common it is for people to beat one another around the bush. This is not due to a shortage of options, but the opposite. It is due to an overabundance of options and also a very uneven distribution of those options. I cannot stand it, so I shrug most people off as time wasters... and I actually am starting think that the majority of people even agree with me. Even a large % of those people that get "laid" every week probably agree with me, because for all the "action" that they're getting, they still often feel innately dissatisfied with their 'sex life' in some shape or form and most often blame the other gender for it. They think that if they increase their turnover of people and body count, and run through as many dating options as possible, then they're statistically more like to find their 'perfect match'. Of course that's just a rationalisation. The real reason is simply the dopamine rush.

Too much candy on the market. That's the fking problem. We're like 20 year old kids in a candy store that can barely control ourselves. I saw 2 people having sex in a f**ng phone booth the other night ffs. Little if any self-control.

Uninstall the dating apps, Instagram, and all that other dopamine-driven crap and just focus on yourself and the people around you. Narrow your social circles down to a manageable number. Don't try to be popular with everyone or feel like you have to remember everyone else's name either. Learn how to focus instead, and try to surround yourself with people that have similar values.
(edited 9 months ago)
bro they will come to u, ur in a villege what do u expect? get some drip and get some rizz and ur sorted
listen yh to get girls u need to look presentable , if u look like a nerd or a meedy guy no girl is gonna like u.
hit the gym, get a trim, use vaseline and get some drip and they'll flock to u

but if u look clapped and busted the will run away
Reply 7
bro they will come to u, ur in a villege what do u expect? get some drip and get some rizz and ur sorted

I don’t live in a village. I lived in a relatively large town (like 150k) that had some villages on the outskirts. I now live in a medium sized city (like 250k+) for uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Vishmaster09
What dating apps have you tried and what sorts of dating only specific events have you done?

Tried Tinder (awful), Bumble, Hinge, SALT (hardly any users) & Christian Mingle (no users in my area). Never got any dates out of any of them. Only real interactions were girls trying to talk me into doing sex stuff via the camera or trying to sell images to me. A total time waste & scam.
Reply 9
listen yh to get girls u need to look presentable , if u look like a nerd or a meedy guy no girl is gonna like u.
hit the gym, get a trim, use vaseline and get some drip and they'll flock to u

but if u look clapped and busted the will run away

I wear a mix of tracksuits & regular suits. I attend sports club. I shave, I brush my teeth, shower, I use Vaseline & face cream etc… I have attended some sports club & work out in my room with weights & an exercise mat.

I’m a woman. I’ll give some advice clothing wise and I read you wear tracksuits. BIN THEM I repeat BIN THEM (or sell them lol). They look awful I’m sorry but I’m being honest. Good that you take care of yourself otherwise tho. Clothing brands that are trendy atm include carhartt, urban outfitters (Ik not a brand but they sell fashionable stuff for men) and Etsy (another shop but good stuff). Try and find your own style- what music do you listen to? I could help you more (this sounds weird but it’ll help me workout what vibes you have perhaps). But yeah, men that dress well hands down are more attractive. If you’re average looking but dress well and have good hygiene you’re already above average overall in my books. Also find a nice daily scent to wear bc men that smell nice are a plus too. I hope that helps n lmk about the clothing stuff :smile:
Reply 11
I’m a woman. I’ll give some advice clothing wise and I read you wear tracksuits. BIN THEM I repeat BIN THEM (or sell them lol). They look awful I’m sorry but I’m being honest. Good that you take care of yourself otherwise tho. Clothing brands that are trendy atm include carhartt, urban outfitters (Ik not a brand but they sell fashionable stuff for men) and Etsy (another shop but good stuff). Try and find your own style- what music do you listen to? I could help you more (this sounds weird but it’ll help me workout what vibes you have perhaps). But yeah, men that dress well hands down are more attractive. If you’re average looking but dress well and have good hygiene you’re already above average overall in my books. Also find a nice daily scent to wear bc men that smell nice are a plus too. I hope that helps n lmk about the clothing stuff :smile:

I don’t really know much about clothing brands. I sometimes wear shirts & smart shoes such as for church. I’ll sometimes also wear blazers.

As for music, I mainly like classical music but I also like plenty of other stuff with British bands including Keane, Oasis, Frank Ferdinand etc… & American bands including Green Day, The Killers, Kiss etc... I’ve tried to broaden my horizons more so I’ll listen to pop like Kylie, rap like Dr. Dre, rock like White Zombie, country like Johnny Cash & classics like Sinatra.

If it helps, my other interests include football, samurai films, theology lectures & business/financial news.
I don’t really know much about clothing brands. I sometimes wear shirts & smart shoes such as for church. I’ll sometimes also wear blazers.

As for music, I mainly like classical music but I also like plenty of other stuff with British bands including Keane, Oasis, Frank Ferdinand etc… & American bands including Green Day, The Killers, Kiss etc... I’ve tried to broaden my horizons more so I’ll listen to pop like Kylie, rap like Dr. Dre, rock like White Zombie, country like Johnny Cash & classics like Sinatra.

If it helps, my other interests include football, samurai films, theology lectures & business/financial news.

May just be me, I'm a guy (I'm in my mid forties) but that sounds like stuff from when I was younger way back in the day. Surely that music is all very past it now and not on trend with the young.

Thing is just like in the day of my youth (I'm guessing still the same) if you mention you are into stuff way back of a previous generation your peers will see it as a bit of a laugh. They may not laugh in your face but your street cred as we called it goes down. Your peers won't respect you in terms of the all important 'being on trend', 'with it', etc on their level and though they probably see you as a nice guy, they won't rate you as worthy to be seen dating.

Your interests are your interests, in fact I like many of them (minus theology) but they aren't what I would knowingly let girls know I like unless I knew they took a particular interest in one of them. History I like, Politics I have passing interest in but both are seen as geeky, particularly Politics. If you're seen as a geek that is normally a negative with the girls. Even girls that are into say History may not necessarily want their potential bf to be into history but may want what they see as a more many guy either muscles or masculine blue collar job possibly.

I'm not saying change who you are completely in all of this as you don't want to be fake, but I'm saying think about what you put out, how you might be perceived and consider moderating your image.

In general a lot of girls aren't that bothered about dating and relationships these days. Unless they see a man who rocks their world they would rather just do their career. So gaining a big positive like a good physique, good income job, etc may help you, but in general while enjoy what you enjoy I would kind of keep quiet on a lot of the more geeky elements or stuff women wouldn't really get with like samurai films etc. I'm not saying watch girlie stuff just consider how a girl would view you and whether they would see you as dateable material they would want to get with and be happy being associated with.
May just be me, I'm a guy (I'm in my mid forties) but that sounds like stuff from when I was younger way back in the day. Surely that music is all very past it now and not on trend with the young.

Thing is just like in the day of my youth (I'm guessing still the same) if you mention you are into stuff way back of a previous generation your peers will see it as a bit of a laugh. They may not laugh in your face but your street cred as we called it goes down. Your peers won't respect you in terms of the all important 'being on trend', 'with it', etc on their level and though they probably see you as a nice guy, they won't rate you as worthy to be seen dating.

Actually, a lot of those artists the OP lists are now considered as classics or "Retro Cool" (The careers of Dr Dre (and his subjects), Green Day, Kylie etc span at least 4 decades now). And I don't know if you've been to a student gig since your heyday... but pretty much the biggest song of the night is often The Killers- Mr Brightside.

Having said that, I agree that the OP could do with being a bit more acquainted with "The Latest Sounds". A good reference point is if you listen to Radio 1... Since the late 80's / early 90's they've been at the forefront of popular music for the primary youth demographic (e.g. 16-24 year olds), and have defined the music trends since then. They're often the first to play the songs that will be on-trend in 1-2 months time, and they're also the first to stop playing them as well (other stations like Capital, Magic etc. typically play catch up). The main station covers the primary genres (e.g. pop, Indie / Rock, Urban (e.g. hip hop / RnB etc.), and commercial dance (inc D&B). Furthermore, you have all the "child" stations (e.g. 1Xtra) if you wanted to go deeper into particular genres.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 14

Your interests are your interests, in fact I like many of them (minus theology) but they aren't what I would knowingly let girls know I like unless I knew they took a particular interest in one of them. History I like, Politics I have passing interest in but both are seen as geeky, particularly Politics. If you're seen as a geek that is normally a negative with the girls. Even girls that are into say History may not necessarily want their potential bf to be into history but may want what they see as a more many guy either muscles or masculine blue collar job possibly.

I'm not saying change who you are completely in all of this as you don't want to be fake, but I'm saying think about what you put out, how you might be perceived and consider moderating your image.

In general a lot of girls aren't that bothered about dating and relationships these days. Unless they see a man who rocks their world they would rather just do their career. So gaining a big positive like a good physique, good income job, etc may help you, but in general while enjoy what you enjoy I would kind of keep quiet on a lot of the more geeky elements or stuff women wouldn't really get with like samurai films etc. I'm not saying watch girlie stuff just consider how a girl would view you and whether they would see you as dateable material they would want to get with and be happy being associated with.

I know some of the stuff is seen as nerdy but that’s why I also discuss other topics such as football & plenty of them have seen me in football shirts. I go to other events like business networking events, live sports (like I went to watch mixed sex student ice hockey & I also went to watch an FA Cup game), talks from bishops, classical music concerts, stand up comedy gigs, student pubs, museums etc… I really do a mix so that I should be seen as a more all-rounder rather than being seen as just a jock or just a nerd.

As for films, I watch all sorts. Everything from 1920s silent flicks to the latest blockbusters. I mainly like war, samurai, martial arts & western films but I also watch a ton of other stuff including romantic comedies, Marvel/DC superhero, anime, teen comedies, slashers, sci-fi etc…

Sorry, I’m just really not into most modern music. I’ve tried but most of the Radio 1 sort of stuff sounds awful.

I don’t really want a woman with the same interests or personality as me, I prefer shared values over shared interests. I like talking to women doing vastly different degrees. I’m doing a STEM course so I like talking to nursing or law women as I like understanding more topics that I’m less knowledgeable about. It’s a great chance to learn more & take an interest in something they’re passionate about.
I know some of the stuff is seen as nerdy but that’s why I also discuss other topics such as football & plenty of them have seen me in football shirts. I go to other events like business networking events, live sports (like I went to watch mixed sex student ice hockey & I also went to watch an FA Cup game), talks from bishops, classical music concerts, stand up comedy gigs, student pubs, museums etc… I really do a mix so that I should be seen as a more all-rounder rather than being seen as just a jock or just a nerd.

As for films, I watch all sorts. Everything from 1920s silent flicks to the latest blockbusters. I mainly like war, samurai, martial arts & western films but I also watch a ton of other stuff including romantic comedies, Marvel/DC superhero, anime, teen comedies, slashers, sci-fi etc…

Sorry, I’m just really not into most modern music. I’ve tried but most of the Radio 1 sort of stuff sounds awful.

I don’t really want a woman with the same interests or personality as me, I prefer shared values over shared interests. I like talking to women doing vastly different degrees. I’m doing a STEM course so I like talking to nursing or law women as I like understanding more topics that I’m less knowledgeable about. It’s a great chance to learn more & take an interest in something they’re passionate about.

...but this is your problem.

I'm not saying you have to like the stuff, but at least be aware of what the latest trends are (e.g. what songs are popular, Love Island, whatever's trending on Netflix etc.). Fair enough, you can talk about the intellectual / academic stuff sometimes, but they're also going to want to have a , 'good ol' gossip' about the latest trash TV.

If you really are adamant you don't want anything to do with "Pop-Culture", then you need to pick the kind of events that will allow you to talk / interact with other people. Typically, girls aren't that interested in football, and people go to business events to network or talk "shop"; not really to meet prospective partners. Have you ever thought about going to a pub quiz night?... or an organised tour of something (e.g. City, museum, a famous factory etc.). Have you thought about joining a dance or a drama group? Have you tried being taught a foreign language? All of the above would give you some opportunity to interact with others.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Old Skool Freak
...but this is your problem.

I'm not saying you have to like the stuff, but at least be aware of what the latest trends are (e.g. what songs are popular, Love Island, whatever's trending on Netflix etc.). Fair enough, you can talk about the intellectual / academic stuff sometimes, but they're also going to want to have a , 'good ol' gossip' about the latest trash TV.

If you really are adamant you don't want anything to do with "Pop-Culture", then you need to pick the kind of events that will allow you to talk / interact with other people. Typically, girls aren't that interested in football, and people go to business events to network or talk "shop"; not really to meet prospective partners. Have you ever thought about going to a pub quiz night?... or an organised tour of something (e.g. City, museum, a famous factory etc.). Have you thought about joining a dance or a drama group? Have you tried being taught a foreign language? All of the above would give you some opportunity to interact with others.

I do talk about some pop culture stuff as well. I don't talk extensively about sports with women, I'm just saying that some of them know I like football, they don't think I'm only interested in "nerdy" topics like politics.

Yes, I've been to a pub quiz and I was on a table with all women uni students that I spoke to and got on social media afterwards. I've attended other uni socials where there have been mainly if not all women present.

Yes, I joined a dance group after a female friend invited me. I think she has a boyfriend anyway so it wasn't because she was interested in me. I danced with several of the women there including the instructor and my female friend.

I attend tons of uni societies and speak to women. I speak to women at different churches as well. I speak to plenty of women in person and I message a few of them. I've asked out several in person or over messages on social media or text.
I do talk about some pop culture stuff as well. I don't talk extensively about sports with women, I'm just saying that some of them know I like football, they don't think I'm only interested in "nerdy" topics like politics.

Yes, I've been to a pub quiz and I was on a table with all women uni students that I spoke to and got on social media afterwards. I've attended other uni socials where there have been mainly if not all women present.

Yes, I joined a dance group after a female friend invited me. I think she has a boyfriend anyway so it wasn't because she was interested in me. I danced with several of the women there including the instructor and my female friend.

I attend tons of uni societies and speak to women. I speak to women at different churches as well. I speak to plenty of women in person and I message a few of them. I've asked out several in person or over messages on social media or text.

So it sounds like you're actively working the foundations... which is good.

How do you express your "romantic interest" in them exactly? Do you flirt or make any attempts to test the water first? Do you try and break the "touch" barrier in a safe way? Do you smile and pay attention when talking?

Give us an example of exactly how you would ask a girl out
Reply 18
Original post by Old Skool Freak
So it sounds like you're actively working the foundations... which is good.

How do you express your "romantic interest" in them exactly? Do you flirt or make any attempts to test the water first? Do you try and break the "touch" barrier in a safe way? Do you smile and pay attention when talking?

Give us an example of exactly how you would ask a girl out

Sometimes, I wait a bit of time & get to know them better before I approach them while other times, if I’m unsure I’ll see them again at a society or something, I’ll push earlier. I’ve tried asking in person, handwritten letters & social media or text with different women. Prefer doing it in person but it’s not always easy to get them on their own & I don’t want to embarrass them in front of other women.

If I know them & have maybe hung out with them platonically, I’ll ask them out to dinner if they’re interested & not seeing anyone. If I don’t know them so we’ll, I’ll ask them to go for coffee to get to know each other better but I indicate that I’m interested. Some women I flirt with aggressively, some I wouldn’t dream of saying anything too flirty too, each woman is different. I don’t try to touch them physically as I don’t want to them feel uncomfortable. If I was on a date with them then I may ask to hold hands or something but if I’m not on a date, I don’t touch them.
Just use escorts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending