The Student Room Group

What makes you think more 'lol what a prat' - guy wearing Hollister or Dre Beats?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think either would make me think that they're a prat. I'd rather date a guy who wore beats headphones with a hollister hoody than one who went around saying 'what a prat!' about everyone who wore something that he couldn't afford for himself or thought was pointless. Anyway I think Jack Wills is a much bigger rip off to be honest and probably more popular atm (where I live anyway) so I'm not sure why hollister is being used as an example.
Reply 101
Original post by StuTheCockatoo

or

The last three photos, I mean, a yellow cap - seriously?
Original post by Astronomical
I am indeed. I own Beats earphones, as I've said, and they are twice as good as my old Sennheisers and have also lasted much longer. I also love the cable which rarely ever gets tangled.

I have also tried the Beats Pro headphones and the sound quality is phenomenal; whether or not it is £350 of phenomenal I don't know, as I've not tried any other headphones recently to compare them to. I much prefer earphones.

I don't even think the earphones are that badly priced at about £120. People spend far more on things they'll use much less frequently, so I don't see why it's such a big deal. I know you can get BOSE earphones similar in quality for about £100 but the difference is only very slight, and I'd much rather pay an extra £20 to have a cable I don't have to untangle every time I want to use my earphones.

£120 for Beats earphones is a waste. I paid £140 for my HD-25's and the sound is gorgeous, they're one of the best portable headphones if not the best. The general consensus with Beats is that they have average sound and slap a ****load of bass in it then charge you £100+ more than they are worth for the privelege.

I know someone who bought Beats because of the fashion and would argue with me that if they are so **** why do DJ's use them (ignoring sponsorship etc), after using his for a while he admitted they are not worth the money but still likes his (buyer's remorse imo), plus if you break your headphones, you're gutted. If I break mine I can go on the Sennheiser website and purchase individual parts cheaply. Every part is replaceable.

If you go on somewhere like www.head-fi.org/ and post a thread sayig you've got £200 and need headphone recommendations, I doubt anyone on there would recommend a pair of Beats. These are audiophiles who spend thousands of pounds on equipment and compare for themselves.

If you enjoy them I'm not trying to stop that, but they are not worth the price you pay.

Even Dre himself doesn't use them :biggrin:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews

Scroll down, here he is using the Audio Technica ATH M-50 (which cost £130)

http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/2731e146_DrDrewithM50s.jpeg
Reply 104
I have no aversion to Hollister. I bought quite a few items from there. Not only are they virtually popular in my sixth form, they're rather good quality to say the least. They've survived in the wash so far. I certainly don't judge people who wear Hollister. If people want to wear Beats by Dre headphones or Hollister clothes (simply because they like the brand), that's their prerogative. People who actually judge people by what they wear come across as condescending and pretentious, just saying...
People wearing Beats, because Sennheisers are wayyyy better (and yes, I have some Beats that I got with my phone)
Original post by Wilfred Little
£120 for Beats earphones is a waste. I paid £140 for my HD-25's and the sound is gorgeous, they're one of the best portable headphones if not the best. The general consensus with Beats is that they have average sound and slap a ****load of bass in it then charge you £100+ more than they are worth for the privelege.

I know someone who bought Beats because of the fashion and would argue with me that if they are so **** why do DJ's use them (ignoring sponsorship etc), after using his for a while he admitted they are not worth the money but still likes his (buyer's remorse imo), plus if you break your headphones, you're gutted. If I break mine I can go on the Sennheiser website and purchase individual parts cheaply. Every part is replaceable.

If you go on somewhere like www.head-fi.org/ and post a thread sayig you've got £200 and need headphone recommendations, I doubt anyone on there would recommend a pair of Beats. These are audiophiles who spend thousands of pounds on equipment and compare for themselves.

If you enjoy them I'm not trying to stop that, but they are not worth the price you pay.

Even Dre himself doesn't use them :biggrin:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews

Scroll down, here he is using the Audio Technica ATH M-50 (which cost £130)

http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/2731e146_DrDrewithM50s.jpeg

Quite right most people buy beats "because their friend has them" but to my knowledge I was the first person I know to have had beats earphones. :tongue:

I wasn't saying you couldn't get better for less, either; rather I was trying to address the fact that the difference in price we're talking about, relative to the disparity in prices between other things people buy, is almost nothing. People quite happily pay over the odds for things all the time without anyone saying anything, and I personally think the "attack," so to speak, on Beats, is because they've gone mainstream. It's akin to apple computers, I suppose.

Nevertheless, I will have a look at that head-fi forum, as I am actually looking for a new pair or earphones anyway. Whilst I do like the beats, as you say, they are very bass heavy, and I've recently started listening to a lot of House and, oddly enough, classical piano, which the beats don't "fit" so well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Astronomical
Nevertheless, I will have a look at that head-fi forum, as I am actually looking for a new pair or earphones anyway. Whilst I do like the beats, as you say, they are very bass heavy, and I've recently started listening to a lot of House and, oddly enough, classical piano, which the beats don't "fit" so well.

Definitely look at the Sennheiser HD-25, I cannot recommend them enough.

Even the Grado SR-60i (bit ugly though but if you don't mind that then great), these are the best sub-£100 headphones imo. Could even get the SR-80i if your budget allows it as they are not much more.

Those Audio Technicas seem to have rave reviews too, and absolutely are worth the money. I wouldn't mind a pair myself in fact.:cool:
A guy I know bought a pair of beats to wear purely round his neck for fashion, so yeah dre beats for the sheer stupidity of that guy.
I dont really understand why people care so much, some people in this thread seem to be getting really excited about people who wear Beats or Hollister, who gives a **** in all seriousness? I wish nothing else was on my mind so I had the time to judge every person who walks past and the brand of clothes/electronics they are wearing. Also, I had Beats before everyone started 'wearing' them, I dont wear them around my neck cus I find it uncomfortable but I still use them cus they sound decent and are comfortable as well as me wanting to get my moneys worth.

Plus Hollister isnt even expensive and its pretty decent quality, their sizes are just completely wrong. Its as if theyre trying to fit kids and mens clothing into 4 sizes (S, M, L, XL)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hypercaine.
I dont really understand why people care so much, some people in this thread seem to be getting really excited about people who wear Beats or Hollister, who gives a **** in all seriousness? I wish nothing else was on my mind so I had the time to judge every person who walks past and the brand of clothes/electronics they are wearing.

Well clearly you have a sufficient lack of anything better to do to do something even more pointless than judging: post in a thread which you know is going to be full of 'judgemental people' from the title, in full knowledge that you are only fuelling our stereotypes and are not going to change our mind.
Original post by x_Natalie_x
Hollister, definitely. It shows that you are conscious enough of what people think of you (and your potential wealth) to wear such an obvious and apparently preppy brand, but the irony is that you can't afford the truly luxury stuff like Gucci, Versace, Zegna etc. It must eat away at them everyday. So in the end they just come across as a walking advertisement who would run a mile if they saw the prices on Sloane Street... sad.

What happens if you like Hollister and aren't rich enough to buy Gucci? Just because someone wears a piece of clothing doesnt turn them into a prat, nor should they be bullied because they cant afford or be prepared to waste ludicrous amounts of money on rip off clothes. People like Hollister as it's good quality, stylish and fairly cheap, maybe they don't want to walk around in Primarki or on the other side of the spectrum soend like £350 on a polo shirt
Original post by Copperknickers
Well clearly you have a sufficient lack of anything better to do to do something even more pointless than judging: post in a thread which you know is going to be full of 'judgemental people' from the title, in full knowledge that you are only fuelling our stereotypes and are not going to change our mind.

Do you not think he has a point? Find it strange that people have the time or desire to judge someone for wearing a Hollister shirt..I would have thought that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid unless someone was kitted out from head to toe in the brand :dontknow:
Reply 113
People wearing ****ty Beats headphones, which have the audio quality that is equivalent to taking two modules from a talking birthday card and sticking them onto two crushed cans.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
It's OK if you wear say one piece from Hollister, but if your entire wardrobe consists of the same label with their brand plastered all over it, you look like a douche... Same applies for Jack Wills.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Do you not think he has a point? Find it strange that people have the time or desire to judge someone for wearing a Hollister shirt..I would have thought that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid unless someone was kitted out from head to toe in the brand :dontknow:

No, I don't think he has a point. It's often the same people who wear Hollister and Dre Beats that go around making judgments about me, because I am not 'fashionable' or I look 'chavvy'. And all this rubbish about 'time' is ridiculous. It takes 5 minutes to post a reply on a forum, and it's the summer holidays. Anyone who cannot spare 10 minutes in a week for doing something they enjoy must be working themselves to death.

I think, though, that you are mistaking true anger for simple venting. Just because I don't like Hollister it doesn't mean I have a visceral hatred for anyone who wears it, I'm just defending the fact that I occasionally like to mock people for being caught up by clever marketing to the tune of hundreds of pounds spent unnecessarily.
I bought a nice hollister shirt for £40 for my holiday last weekend am I a prat?
Original post by Left Hand Drive
I bought a nice hollister shirt for £40 for my holiday last weekend am I a prat?

Probably, but I also have a Hollister polo. I wear it with my Jack Wills gilet and my vans. :cool:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Probably, but I also have a Hollister polo. I wear it with my Jack Wills gilet and my vans. :cool:

lol So what brands are not 'prattish'
Reply 119
i hate both of those styles. but i wouldn't judge them badly for it... i just probably wouldn't talk to them if i could help it because i'd assume we have nothing in common.

Quick Reply

Latest