The Student Room Group

Forensic accounting

How would you enter this field post uni? Would any strong academic degree suffice just like other types of accountancy?
Bump. There seems to be very little info on the net from a UK perspective. Plenty of info for people in the US tho. Would you get your ACCA/ACA then look to move into the field as a NQ CA?
Reply 2
At graduate level very few companies offer Forensic schemes. This is because they prefer to hire people who have qualified as auditors with an ACA - that's when people tend to go into Dispute Advisory Services, which is a very traditional Forensic Accounting service line (there are quite a number of them).

Also, if you see grad schemes for Forensic, this is most likely because they are looking for people for their Anti-Money Laundering Compliance team. This is a major push in "Forensic" at present and generates a lot of revenues... the only issue is, it isn't really Forensic - which is why I quit part way through my ACA contract.

If you have any specific questions, just reply to this message and I'll try to answer.
Original post by 2late
At graduate level very few companies offer Forensic schemes. This is because they prefer to hire people who have qualified as auditors with an ACA - that's when people tend to go into Dispute Advisory Services, which is a very traditional Forensic Accounting service line (there are quite a number of them).

Also, if you see grad schemes for Forensic, this is most likely because they are looking for people for their Anti-Money Laundering Compliance team. This is a major push in "Forensic" at present and generates a lot of revenues... the only issue is, it isn't really Forensic - which is why I quit part way through my ACA contract.

If you have any specific questions, just reply to this message and I'll try to answer.

So could you give me firms which deal in forensic accounting? I know with ACA you can get forensic qualifications through ICAEW, but which route did you take to get into this field? Did you go to uni and then what did you do?

Just saw you studied at the LSE, so you may name firms which are most probably out of reach for me :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
http://www.accountancyage.com/static/top50-this-year - have a look at their recruitment pages.

Also don't be discouraged, there are people from a range of backgrounds that go into Forensic and it doesn't require a top uni. As long as you can demonstrate that you are a competent individual you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit!

I've had a look and can only find US info really. I note there is a separate qualification over there. Do we have something similar? I am doing CIMA and a bit scared I have cut myself off from forensics forever.
Reply 6
http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/careers/whatwedo/financial-advisory.jhtml

There's a tab on that page entitled "Forensic Services". From what I can make out you still do the ACA, you're just attached to the forensic services team (split between financial advisory and assurance). I'm sure other UK accountancy firms have similar positions but, to be honest, I haven't looked.
On a side note, when you apply for internships etc. Do the big4 restrict how many different applications you can make to the company. I.e. Assurance in London, Liverpool and Norwich etc. are they unrestricted?

Thanks livefires, that actually looked really interesting :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
On a side note, when you apply for internships etc. Do the big4 restrict how many different applications you can make to the company. I.e. Assurance in London, Liverpool and Norwich etc. are they unrestricted?

Thanks livefires, that actually looked really interesting :biggrin:

Think it's one application per company.
I'm about the graduate in the arts and see forensic accounting as a potential option though am interested in what the actual tasks are like. Could you give any examples of how Forensics proper would differ from Anti-Money Laundering Compliance on a day-to-day basis? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending