The Student Room Group

Threshold payments

Currently schools claim back money from the Government to pay for those teachers who have
successfully crossed the 'Threshold' (on a termly basis I think).

My belief is that this was for the first two years of the scheme. Does anyone know if this is likely
to continue to be funded from Central Government?

If not, how will schools continue to pay this? I don't think my primary school could afford even the
first year's cost unless we receive support for this via the budget (our reserve would be more than
wiped out).

I have had a quick search on the DfES website, but I couldn't find much about the 'funding' issues.

Does anyone know?

Martyn
--
Martyn Reason [email protected]

- The views/information contained here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
- I respectfully reserve the right to be wrong.
- Any errors or omissions are a fault of the transmission medium (either that or you are thinking
bad thoughts).

Spam Trap: Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Reply 1
In article <[email protected]>, Martyn Reason <[email protected]> writes:

[q1]>Currently schools claim back money from the Government to pay for those teachers who have[/q1]
[q1]>successfully crossed the 'Threshold' (on a termly basis I think).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>My belief is that this was for the first two years of the scheme. Does anyone know if this is[/q1]
[q1]>likely to continue to be funded from Central Government?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>If not, how will schools continue to pay this? I don't think my primary school could afford even[/q1]
[q1]>the first year's cost unless we receive support for this via the budget (our reserve would be more[/q1]
[q1]>than wiped out).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I have had a quick search on the DfES website, but I couldn't find much about the 'funding' issues.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Does anyone know?[/q1]

Like most of the half-a**ed schemes this gov't has introduced, it's likely that the funding will
phase out and your school will be up the creek. More experienced teachers will be released in favour
of cheapies and the shortage will worsen.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Reply 2
Your right about the timescales. I don't actually know the answer as to continuance of funding, but
it was clear that the Government was hoping not to have to face the question.

In my area there is an 'understanding' that the funding will continue. After all, it's going to
be politically disastrous if central funds are withdrawn, with the DfES, Treasury and the Local
Authorities in virtual civil war. Not a very good situation in the lead up to a general
election in just a few years now, what with Health, Transport etc continuing to fail to
deliver. The cost of keeping the Education field relatively quiet is cheap by comparison. Or is
this just a touch cynical?
Reply 3
SLieber24 wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> In article <[email protected]>, Martyn Reason <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Currently schools claim back money from the Government to pay for those teachers who have[/q2]
[q2]> >successfully crossed the 'Threshold' (on a termly basis I think).[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >My belief is that this was for the first two years of the scheme. Does anyone know if this is[/q2]
[q2]> >likely to continue to be funded from Central Government?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >If not, how will schools continue to pay this? I don't think my primary school could afford even[/q2]
[q2]> >the first year's cost unless we receive support for this via the budget (our reserve would be[/q2]
[q2]> >more than wiped out).[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >I have had a quick search on the DfES website, but I couldn't find much about the 'funding'[/q2]
[q2]> >issues.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Does anyone know?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Like most of the half-a**ed schemes this gov't has introduced, it's likely that the funding will[/q1]
[q1]> phase out and your school will be up the creek. More experienced teachers will be released in[/q1]
[q1]> favour of cheapies and the shortage will worsen.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ----------------------------------------------------[/q1]
[q1]> Sandi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q1]

Good, experienced teachers will never be released in my school. OK, I'm rather partial to NQTs, but
it's not the only factor we are interested
in.

Martyn
--

- The views/information contained here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
- Any errors or omissions are a fault of the transmission medium (either that or you are thinking
bad thoughts).

Reply 4
And I wish I could spell!
Reply 5
Martyn Reason wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> SLieber24 wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > In article <[email protected]>, Martyn Reason <[email protected]> writes:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > >Currently schools claim back money from the Government to pay for those teachers who have[/q3]
[q3]> > >successfully crossed the 'Threshold' (on a termly basis I think).[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >My belief is that this was for the first two years of the scheme. Does anyone know if this is[/q3]
[q3]> > >likely to continue to be funded from Central Government?[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >If not, how will schools continue to pay this? I don't think my primary school could afford[/q3]
[q3]> > >even the first year's cost unless we receive support for this via the budget (our reserve would[/q3]
[q3]> > >be more than wiped out).[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >I have had a quick search on the DfES website, but I couldn't find much about the 'funding'[/q3]
[q3]> > >issues.[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >Does anyone know?[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Like most of the half-a**ed schemes this gov't has introduced, it's likely that the funding will[/q2]
[q2]> > phase out and your school will be up the creek. More experienced teachers will be released in[/q2]
[q2]> > favour of cheapies and the shortage will worsen.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > ----------------------------------------------------[/q2]
[q2]> > Sandi[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Remove NoSpam to reply.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Good, experienced teachers will never be released in my school. OK, I'm rather partial to NQTs,[/q1]
[q1]> but it's not the only factor we are interested[/q1]
[q1]> in.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Martyn[/q1]

Hmmm, just read my post - it sort of implies that we'll imprison our teachers forever...I'm sure you
know what I mean :-)

Martyn
--

bad thoughts).

Latest

Trending

Trending