The Student Room Group

How to take SLC to court?

TLDR: Is it a small claims case or a commercial litigation court that I need?

I took a student loan back in the year 2000/1, life fell apart and I couldn't continue for the next academic year. I never heard anything from them in terms of repayments as I never earned above the threshold. I then emigrated in 2012 then moved back to the UK in 2022.

I have still never earned above the threshold yet SLC have taken payments from any wage I have earned. I don't mind this to be honest but they have now tried to charge me £246 per month in arrears due (now £492) to them thinking I am still living in a different country. I have proven that I am again a tax resident, sent them all official records of my earnings abroad proving that I never earned above the threshold there either. Yet they are still threatening me with sending my arrears account to debt collection agencies.

I am now sick of this and of trying to contact them as they never answer the phone nor reply to letters so I would like to take them to court for a refund of any monies taken whilst I was below the threshold (all of them) and to remove the arrears as they were accounted for by mistake on their part.

There is seemingly zero point in trying to negotiate with them in a normal manner such as by telephone or by letter and there is no way to contact them via email so I would honestly like to take them to court.

My question is: Which court would be the most approriate? A simple small claims court, a county court or a crown court under a commercial law claim?
Original post by SignUp101
TLDR: Is it a small claims case or a commercial litigation court that I need?

I took a student loan back in the year 2000/1, life fell apart and I couldn't continue for the next academic year. I never heard anything from them in terms of repayments as I never earned above the threshold. I then emigrated in 2012 then moved back to the UK in 2022.

I have still never earned above the threshold yet SLC have taken payments from any wage I have earned. I don't mind this to be honest but they have now tried to charge me £246 per month in arrears due (now £492) to them thinking I am still living in a different country. I have proven that I am again a tax resident, sent them all official records of my earnings abroad proving that I never earned above the threshold there either. Yet they are still threatening me with sending my arrears account to debt collection agencies.

I am now sick of this and of trying to contact them as they never answer the phone nor reply to letters so I would like to take them to court for a refund of any monies taken whilst I was below the threshold (all of them) and to remove the arrears as they were accounted for by mistake on their part.

There is seemingly zero point in trying to negotiate with them in a normal manner such as by telephone or by letter and there is no way to contact them via email so I would honestly like to take them to court.

My question is: Which court would be the most approriate? A simple small claims court, a county court or a crown court under a commercial law claim?

Hi there,

We'd first suggest sending a private message to the Repayments team to see if they're able to offer any help or advice.

You can message them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=806835849916719104 or Facebook: http://m.me/SLCRepayment - alternatively they are also available on the phone, their number is 0300 100 0611.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Thanks Graeme,

I will try the number tomorrow, I have zero expectation that they will even answer within an hour however. I refuse to engage in the absurdity of contacting them via Twitter or Facebook when they do not supply an email address, I do not wish to be social with them I wish to speak with them about my account.

Anyone else have any advice as to which legal sphere I should be using if contacting them in the above manner fails?
Original post by SignUp101
Thanks Graeme,

I will try the number tomorrow, I have zero expectation that they will even answer within an hour however. I refuse to engage in the absurdity of contacting them via Twitter or Facebook when they do not supply an email address, I do not wish to be social with them I wish to speak with them about my account.

Anyone else have any advice as to which legal sphere I should be using if contacting them in the above manner fails?

Hi there, They don't have a email address available, the best way to discuss this for you would be by ringing them. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending