The Student Room Group

Security tag

Scroll to see replies

Oh this has happened to me before... I thought it was really odd when I kept setting off alarms! I must have gone into about 5 other shops before I realised it was me setting them off, so I went back to the shop and they took it off.

My dad's managed to take one off before, with a lot of effort, and leaving a little hole where the tag used to be... definitely try and get back to the shop or another one near you. If you do try it yourself and rip it or stain it then you've wasted your money when you needn't have.
Reply 21
Like the others have said, try and take it back to the shop as you are at risk of ruining the item if you remove it yourself. Some shops will offer to give you your expenses back if you have had to travel far to take it back to get the tag removed.

These things do happen, for example sometimes the tags are in stupid places and cant always been seen at the point of sale, but if the assistant was on the phone and not paying attention then you have every right to complain. Unfortunately there are so many shop lifters about these days (I work in a shop so I see it all the time, drives me mad), that most items have to be tagged, even if it only acts as a detterent.
Reply 22
i work at new look and we get this all the time, if you can't get to the original shop then just take it into any clothes shop, tell them what happened and show them the receipt, and if they should just take it off with their tillpoint magnetty thing for you, it's really not a big deal, we do it all the time for people! DON'T TRY AND TAKE IT OFF YOURSELF!!!!
i once bought my gf some sexy underwear, and the checkout girl didn't take the security thing off, i felt more embarrassed taking it back than i did buying it! lol!
this is quite an alarming story *waits for laughter* *taps microphone* "is this thing on?"

I did actualy hear somewhere that only 1 in 3 of those tags are real and set the alarm off, because they are expensive so the shops assume a 1 in 3 chance of getting caught should be a large enough deterant for most people.

Speaking of which, i have seen people walk out of a shop anf the alarm goes off but there is no one to stop them.

The employees dont care, i was in GAME and some doggy looking guy is browsing the computer games by the exit, he picks one up shoves it under his coat and walks fast towards the door, the manger saw him and goes after him, the guy starts running, but the manger, who was not fat or anything continues to walk after him. On my way out of the shop i saw the manger wlaking back empty handed, however maybe he just went after this kid to remind him that the cases on the shelves are empty :P:
Reply 25
Most employees do care about stuff being stolen from where they work, I definately do. It really annoys me that people have the cheek to steal stuff. All of our stock has security tags on but people just rip them off or use magnets to remove them. The problem is that theres actually not much you can do, and most staff are taught to let the person go in case of risk of personal injury/abuse.
Reply 26
*titanium*
Speaking of which, i have seen people walk out of a shop anf the alarm goes off but there is no one to stop them.

i've seen shop alarms go off many times over the years and i have never once seen anyone being stopped/chased by staff or security..

:rolleyes:
Whenever the alarm goes off with me I just walk back in :p: although sometimes it goes off when i go into the shop so I dont bother when walking out if it goes off coz I know its my purse or summat :p:
Reply 28
in my shop, u just touch the bottom with a magnet and the tag just pops off.
If it looks like this

or this

You need this

Basically you need a powerful magnet as these tags working on a spring system. Place the pin over the magnet and it should pop out. Such magnet can be found in a audio speaker. Just carnt see why you dont just go into store and ask them to remove it. If you have the reciept that is...
Reply 30
Where I work, we have to make sure that anyone who sets the alarm off is stopped... not cos they're shoplifters, a lot of the time they aint... but purely cos if tags have been left on items it can lead to complaints etc.

Often when I've tried to stop someone, on realising they set the alarm off, they start walking faster to avoid you. Generally, we are told to inform the store manager and never to go after them due to safety issues.
Yeah in Boots we have tags on a lot of stuff and I'm sure they're pretty much all real because we have to beep them to demagnetise them, and if they're duds they aren't magnetised so won't beep, but they all do, except when we forget/they beep but secretly don't demagnetise (grr!!)/they're hidden and so the customer sets off the alarm and we go oopsy daisy :smile:

We've recently got a security guard who has stopped a lot of shoplifters!
when i used to work at boots we had a wierdo security guard who once jumped on some poor guy and pinned him to the ground.
last time someone left a tag on my clothes i went to some random shop with the reciept and asked them to take it off for me- and they did.
Reply 33
mintcake
i work at new look and we get this all the time, if you can't get to the original shop then just take it into any clothes shop, tell them what happened and show them the receipt, and if they should just take it off with their tillpoint magnetty thing for you, it's really not a big deal, we do it all the time for people! DON'T TRY AND TAKE IT OFF YOURSELF!!!!

omg my new look NEVER takes the tags off! all the other shops HATE THEM! because they see people walking in their shops dorothy perkins, topshop, boots, etc with a new look bag and know instantly when the alarm beeps that the stupid idiots havent taken the tags off! mind you looking at the ppl employed by my local new look its a wonder they actually remember how to put the item in a bag in the first place! lol
Reply 34
bunthulhu
Yeah in Boots we have tags on a lot of stuff and I'm sure they're pretty much all real because we have to beep them to demagnetise them, and if they're duds they aren't magnetised so won't beep, but they all do, except when we forget/they beep but secretly don't demagnetise (grr!!)/they're hidden and so the customer sets off the alarm and we go oopsy daisy :smile:

We've recently got a security guard who has stopped a lot of shoplifters!

That's like the sticky tags that HMV use. I've gotten into the habit of removing the tags as soon as I leave HMV, since I've found that sometimes the tags don't deactivate properly, and so set off the alarms in other shops!
The dye is also used, as it stains your hands, and if someone walks out of the changing rooms without the top they were tryin on, with dye all over their hands, it's pretty obious what they're doing!
In my last job, if they tag was left on (even if they had just left the shop & the alarm had just gone off) & the customer complained, they had the right to a £5 gift voucher! Alllllriiiiight :p:

I don't really see the point in dye tags. Yeah, they explode if you try & pull them off, but you can steal stuff out the shop, no alarm will go off & it is so easy now to get a strong magnet to take them off. At least with the alarm, there is SOME chance of the thief (or innocent victim of silly shop assistants) being caught.
Reply 37
My mum bought a jumper in france a few years ago, they didn't take the tag off which she didn't notice till she got home, so tried to take it off and RUINED the jumper when dye leaked out all over it. Never DIY with those kind of tags!!
something like this happened to my sister as well,i think my brother managed to get the tag off using a pair of plyers
different?
:mad: I bought an item of clothing today and unbeknown to me she forget to take the security tag off because she was on the phone. I didn't notice and it didn't set the alarm off in any of the shops i went in. I was going to wear this item tomorrow, I have the receipt and everything but i have no way of going back to the shop to get them to take it off, so does anyone have any idea how i may be able to get the tag off without ruining the material? Any advice would be much appreciated...so cross with with shop assistant :mad:

u can go to another shop which has security devices, they might be able to take them off for you. this happened to me once, bought a pair of shoes in H&M and everywhere i went the alarm went off and i got funny looks. Finally decided to check the shoes and there was a tag on, so I went back to H&M and the shop assistants jumped on me and pretty much accused me of stealing until I showed them the receipt and they were then apologetic, seeing as it was their fault the alarm was going off!

Quick Reply

Latest