The Student Room Group

Writing down UMS scores on the UCAS form

I have 100/100 in some of my AS and A2 modules. Do you think I should put those down on my UCAS form in the 'other' section instead of just putting down 'a' in the module section as this should look more impressive? I just think it would be foolish not to tell Oxford this as they do not have an SAQ.
Original post by Wellie
I have 100/100 in some of my AS and A2 modules. Do you think I should put those down on my UCAS form in the 'other' section instead of just putting down 'a' in the module section as this should look more impressive? I just think it would be foolish not to tell Oxford this as they do not have an SAQ.

Get your referee to mention it. You can't put them on the UCAS form (although I still don't get why Oxford don't ask for UMS :confused:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm sure you can put them on the form - I definitely remember entering mine and if you're proud of your scores, why not put them down?
Reply 3
Original post by TheMagicMan
Get your referee to mention it. You can't put them on the UCAS form (although I still don't get why Oxford don't ask for UMS :confused:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I thought it was possible to put it in the 'other' part in the modular section? It is annoying (or I guess sometimes advantageous to the applicant) that Oxford do not ask for UMS. It would aid in differentiating the thousands that get As at AS and A level.

The only query I have with this is that I am only putting it down for certain modules and so it may look suspicious as I haven't obviously got 100% in every module (perhaps I am just being a little picky?).
Original post by Wellie
I thought it was possible to put it in the 'other' part in the modular section? It is annoying (or I guess sometimes advantageous to the applicant) that Oxford do not ask for UMS. It would aid in differentiating the thousands that get As at AS and A level.

The only query I have with this is that I am only putting it down for certain modules and so it may look suspicious as I haven't obviously got 100% in every module (perhaps I am just being a little picky?).
Oxford prefer to differentiate in other ways.

I put mine down, e.g. "A (80/80)". I'd recommend using that format so that the grade is obvious as well as the mark. Some would advise that you shouldn't put UMS in this box, because that's technically not what it's for. It worked for me though.

However I would recommend either putting down every module, or not of them. As long as they're all A grades, then there's little to be lost.
Reply 5
Original post by fluteflute

I put mine down, e.g. "A (80/80)". I'd recommend using that format so that the grade is obvious as well as the mark. Some would advise that you shouldn't put UMS in this box, because that's technically not what it's for. It worked for me though.

However I would recommend either putting down every module, or not (I assume you mean 'not at all' here?) of them. As long as they're all A grades, then there's little to be lost.

Well here is the issue. At AS my module grades are:
English Lit: b(in the exam part=94/120)/a
Latin: a/a
Economics: a(100)/a(100)
History: a/a

At A2:
Economics: a/a
English a(120)/a(80/80)

I would love to put down all my module grades but as you can see the AS English has a b in that module. Would that matter as technically my A2 english should supersede it? If Oxford take an average of all AS modules then my application would actually be weakened, especially as it is in English. Although, this would be mightily unfair considering my A2 scores. As I already have 3 A*s wouldn't you consider my module grades irrelevant, especially as it may even be a disadvantage? A unique and decidedly picky situation I know. What should I do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wellie
Well here is the issue. At AS my module grades are:
English Lit: b(in the exam part=94/120)/a
Latin: a/a
Economics: a(100)/a(100)

At A2:
Economics: a/a
English a(120)/a(80/80)

I would love to put down all my module grades but as you can see the AS English has a b in that module. Would that matter as technically my A2 english should supersede it? If Oxford take an average of all AS modules then my application would actually be weakened, especially as it is in English. Although, this would be mightily unfair considering my A2 scores. As I already have 3 A*s wouldn't you consider my module grades irrelevant, especially as it may even be a disadvantage? A unique and decidedly picky situation I know. What should I do?
Hmm I see your dilemma. Obviously your B in one exam is nothing to be ashamed of, but it seems a shame to have the otherwise straight A grades tarnished.

Is there any particular reason you'd prefer not to just have this information in your reference?
Reply 7
Hmm I see your dilemma. Obviously your B in one exam is nothing to be ashamed of, but it seems a shame to have the otherwise straight A grades tarnished.

Is there any particular reason you'd prefer not to just have this information in your reference?

Well, I just think it looks more official/impressive on the UCAS form. I could imagine a tutor trying to look over the grades between two applicants and then seeing the maximum UMS scores. I was thinking of actually putting them in both just to hammer the point home.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Wellie
Well, I just think it looks more official/impressive on the UCAS form. I could imagine a tutor trying to look over the grades between two applicants and then seeing the maximum UMS scores. I was thinking of actually putting them in both just to hammer the point home.

If someone has become an Oxford admissions tutor I'd say it's relatively likely they're capable of reading your UMS scores once and taking the point.
Original post by Wellie

Please don't do that. If you really must mention UMS scores, ask to put them in your reference.

Do bear in mind that this is much ado about nothing. Oxford don't really take your UMS scores into account (I got an offer with a D in a module in one of my subjects), and pre-interview tests and the interviews themselves will matter much, much more. Worry about something else, like getting into all those other universities. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Apostropartheid
Please don't do that. If you really must mention UMS scores, ask to put them in your reference.

Do bear in mind that this is much ado about nothing. Oxford don't really take your UMS scores into account (I got an offer with a D in a module in one of my subjects), and pre-interview tests and the interviews themselves will matter much, much more. Worry about something else, like getting into all those other universities. :smile:

Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't? Did you put down all of your module scores and was the d in the subject that you were applying for? Also, any other tips on applying (especially if your subject is English)?
Original post by Wellie
Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't? Did you put down all of your module scores and was the d in the subject that you were applying for? Also, any other tips on applying (especially if your subject is English)?

Because that's not what that bit in the form is for. Besides, putting it in your reference allows you to omit the B without making it look like you're hiding something :smile:

Yes, the D was in a subject I applied for (History and French). There isn't anything special I could tell you that you couldn't already glean from the forums already, but remember not to burn out. It's stressful, with the essays, then the test, and then (hopefully!) the interview, the personal statement, &c. Remember Oxford is just one of the amazing universities in this country, and don't tie your hopes and dreams into it (because I've seen a lot of people do that, and it's heart-breaking.)

Other than that, I'm sure you'll find lots of panicky English students around when the test comes. You're not alone!

However I would recommend either putting down every module, or not of them. As long as they're all A grades, then there's little to be lost.

If you're applying post-a2 and try to enter modules for your A2, ucas automatically tries to stop you... It is very confusing though, it says

'Entering unit details for A levels is optional'

and then says:

'Warning: you must not enter module titles for GCE Advanced Level. Ignore this message if this is not a module title.'

Does that mean you can put the module grades in just not the titles?
Original post by welleducatedmoron
If you're applying post-a2 and try to enter modules for your A2, ucas automatically tries to stop you... It is very confusing though, it says

'Entering unit details for A levels is optional'

and then says:

'Warning: you must not enter module titles for GCE Advanced Level. Ignore this message if this is not a module title.'

Does that mean you can put the module grades in just not the titles?
I have no idea, that sounds strange. I had one A2 and I remember being able to enter module titles and results for it.
I have no idea, that sounds strange. I had one A2 and I remember being able to enter module titles and results for it.

How did you put in the results? Did you put in in the 'other' box: Grade (UMS)?

In the module section that is.
Original post by welleducatedmoron
How did you put in the results? Did you put in in the 'other' box: Grade (UMS)?

In the module section that is.
Yes.
Yes.

That's what I've done, and it's let me do it. I'll keep it in for now and see if any of my teachers have any problems with it.

EDIT: In fact, screw that, admissions tutors probably have a tiresome job as it is without seeing loads of numbers from UCAS forms which shouldn't actually be there. I'll just get the referee to mention my UMS and put my unit grades in.
(edited 11 years ago)

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is this method of listing all your module UMS marks on UCAS still seen as acceptable?
Original post by Joe7
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is this method of listing all your module UMS marks on UCAS still seen as acceptable?

I'm pretty confident it is (although it is three years since I did it myself).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending