The Student Room Group

struggling with reference

I'm a private candidate and have asked a tutor of mine to do a reference for music but he's not sure what to put. I know it has to be 4000 characters though and worry it will let my application down if it's not anywhere near this. Can anyone give me an indication of what to write.
Reply 1

make sure the reference comments on your personality. not just cliche stuff like 'good at music', but actually make sure they write about niche, applicable qualities which will help your application

statistics + facts!!! they are so important. talk about the impressive score you go in a music exam, talk about the grades you got at GCSE, talk about any good test scores or your high-quality responses to an exam question. these are the most important part of a reference since they are genuinely true, not something made up by a biased teacher

talk about anything you haven't put in your personal statement. eg. a book you've read or a MOOC you've participated in.

these are the top 3 things - i hope they help!!
Original post by kkaaaaa
I'm a private candidate and have asked a tutor of mine to do a reference for music but he's not sure what to put. I know it has to be 4000 characters though and worry it will let my application down if it's not anywhere near this. Can anyone give me an indication of what to write.

Three's a guide for what to include here:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference

NB. 4000 characters is for the personal statement. (Unless it's also the maximum for the ref.)
Reply 3
Original post by aloevera4

make sure the reference comments on your personality. not just cliche stuff like 'good at music', but actually make sure they write about niche, applicable qualities which will help your application

statistics + facts!!! they are so important. talk about the impressive score you go in a music exam, talk about the grades you got at GCSE, talk about any good test scores or your high-quality responses to an exam question. these are the most important part of a reference since they are genuinely true, not something made up by a biased teacher

talk about anything you haven't put in your personal statement. eg. a book you've read or a MOOC you've participated in.

these are the top 3 things - i hope they help!!

Thank you! This was super helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending