The Student Room Group

What's your main personal statement worry?

Poll

What's your main personal statement worry?

Writing a personal statement can feel like a very daunting task. You can be sat there with a blank page or 10 pages of writing - either way, it can be stressful wanting it to be the best it can be before submitting your application.

What is your biggest worry about your personal statement at the moment? Share your fears, help other students out or give some great advice - whatever happens, it's always best to talk about these things! :hugs:

If you need some extra support, check out our personal statement hub where you can find example personal statements in our library and find great articles to support you with the writing process.

Our wonderful personal statement mega FAQ, written by personal statement reviewers, will also give you some fab tips to make your personal statement stand out.

Good luck with your application!

*Disclaimer: PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY PART OF YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT ON THE PUBLIC FORUM. If this happens, there is a chance that it will be plagiarised, or that it will be cached by Google, and therefore come up on the plagiarism check on UCAS.*
(edited 1 year ago)
I clicked "something else" (and to be clear, I am parent not the person submitting the statement)

An issue we had was teachers offering conflicting feedback / advice, and sometimes contradicting themselves (and each other) as the Statement iterated in later versions. I suspect a lot of students look to their teachers for help, but I think a lot of teachers don't really know what they are doing.
Original post by LittleSkink
I clicked "something else" (and to be clear, I am parent not the person submitting the statement)

An issue we had was teachers offering conflicting feedback / advice, and sometimes contradicting themselves (and each other) as the Statement iterated in later versions. I suspect a lot of students look to their teachers for help, but I think a lot of teachers don't really know what they are doing.

It's really hard with personal statement feedback, as some people will do it differently to others. There is no absolute set guidance like exams or the application form itself - it's a really useful point.

If anyone is looking for some advice, this amazing resource is one I refer back to as it has an in-depth guide on how to write a personal statement from TSR's personal statement reviewers here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418

Thanks for voting :biggrin:
Hi, there’s no one to offer me feedback for my personal statement, as I’m an independent applicant.
Original post by ieyeirte
Hi, there’s no one to offer me feedback for my personal statement, as I’m an independent applicant.

You can get it reviewed safely on this TSR!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/get-your-personal-statement-draft-reviewed-by-a-tsr-ps-reviewer
(edited 1 year ago)
I chose 'something else' because while I was writing my PS, it felt like it wasn't going anywhere. Now I'm pretty sure this is just relevant to me, but I would write a line I liked, then the next day I'd hate it and cut it out. I made 18 drafts doing this :redface: Rinse and repeat, this went on for a month before I submitted something I hope is halfway decent :biggrin: Got me an offer though, so maybe there's some hope for it after all :laugh:
Hi!

Writing your personal statement can be a daunting task and we understand that it can be difficult to know where to start or whether you've included all the right things.

If you feel you need support and advice in writing your personal statement, the University of Wolverhampton has a webinar available to all on Wednesday 11th January 2023 17:00 - 18:00! :smile:
Original post by ChiefBrody

Generally I would say listen to admissions directors load of information online-on course websites/YouTube & open days, and I definitely agree not all teachers offer good advice (unfortunately they will often say what they think is right but is often just a best guess).

Of course seeking advice from university admissions means you won’t be able to get personal feedback but they will tell you honestly what they want in a statement; parents & teachers can then help ensure the spelling/grammar is alright.

id also say, the personal statement is often made out to be a far more complex thing then it really is, in reality it should be very easy to write. Students should know why they are interested in the subject, and be familiar with their relevant experience… its really just putting this on paper.
Original post by mnot
Generally I would say listen to admissions directors load of information online-on course websites/YouTube & open days, and I definitely agree not all teachers offer good advice (unfortunately they will often say what they think is right but is often just a best guess).

Of course seeking advice from university admissions means you won’t be able to get personal feedback but they will tell you honestly what they want in a statement; parents & teachers can then help ensure the spelling/grammar is alright.

id also say, the personal statement is often made out to be a far more complex thing then it really is, in reality it should be very easy to write. Students should know why they are interested in the subject, and be familiar with their relevant experience… its really just putting this on paper.

In terms of the PS being made out to be far more complex than it actually is, true, but (in my experience) students tend to find it difficult for two reasons- first, that their interest is genuine, but they aren't sure how to articulate it properly, and second, that they actually aren't interested or don't know what exactly interests them in the subject. (Honorary third reason is that the PS needs to be written for multiple courses, but if done smartly this should not be an issue either.)

Also, the majority of PS's I've read through tend to be an amalgamation of soft skills, flattery and filler. Not the greatest combo! :redface:

Would it be possible to request feedback from admissions on your PS if it is rejected from any uni? Or is this only provided by some unis and not others?
Original post by sleep_supremacy

Would it be possible to request feedback from admissions on your PS if it is rejected from any uni? Or is this only provided by some unis and not others?

I doubt many admissions offices would go down this rabbit hole, last thing they would want to do is see growing numbers of rejections expecting more & more detailed feedback.

You can ask.. but I doubt you’ll get much back. The other thing is unless you go through the UCAS process next cycle, the die has been cast already with your PS.
Original post by mnot
I doubt many admissions offices would go down this rabbit hole, last thing they would want to do is see growing numbers of rejections expecting more & more detailed feedback.

You can ask.. but I doubt you’ll get much back. The other thing is unless you go through the UCAS process next cycle, the die has been cast already with your PS.

That's fair, I think admissions would collectively resign from the stress alone if they had to reply to every single rejection with personalized, detailed feedback of their PS :lol:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
That's fair, I think admissions would collectively resign from the stress alone if they had to reply to every single rejection with personalized, detailed feedback of their PS :lol:

Indeed, it'd be more laborious typing out individual feedback than it already is to read and score a PS. It's not typically that useful because you're just opening up the door for some long winded debate, ("well actually, I think my extra-curriculars are relevant...").

There is also the issue that the more feedback you provide, the less useful the PS becomes because you're coaching people to hit all the scoring points and everyone would produce identical statements rather than something unique to them. There's already a huge amount of info out there.
Original post by Admit-One
Indeed, it'd be more laborious typing out individual feedback than it already is to read and score a PS. It's not typically that useful because you're just opening up the door for some long winded debate, ("well actually, I think my extra-curriculars are relevant...").

There is also the issue that the more feedback you provide, the less useful the PS becomes because you're coaching people to hit all the scoring points and everyone would produce identical statements rather than something unique to them. There's already a huge amount of info out there.

PRSOM :biggrin:
I'm worried because I attend a drama college yet intend to apply for Linguistics, so none of the advisors at my college have applicable advice and can help me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending