The Student Room Group

Reading & Leeds 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Toshiya
I put something about better toilets... I'd definitely pay to not go in toilets that smelt that bad!! I think I put rhcp as part of my ideal line up, I've always wanted to see them live, but I've heard they suck so I think I'll avoid it just so I'm not disappointed ever. I don't understand people buying tickets now though. I'd be so miffed if I bought my ticket and the line up sucked, I only got my ticket in April once some of the really big ones were confirmed.
Were there not toilets inside the main arena, (proper toilets)?
Great weekend! Eminem & Biffy were my favourites.

Also, I don't suppose if anyone knows (apart from the merch store) where I can get a Reading fest hoodie? I didn't wanna pay £40!
Reply 1182
The major change that is required (Leeds) is for the festival to be better prepared for the weather. Every festival I have camped at has at some point experienced heavy rain but the site at Leeds was ridiculous at points. At Download this year the moment it started raining there were loads of teams around trying to help avoid serious issues arising from the mud. At Leeds I didn't see any attempts made to try do anything. Even doing stuff as simple as laying straw everywhere defiantly helps make conditions better. When a festival allows people of all ages to attend then they have a responsibility to make sure accessibility is always a priority.

This also extends to the car parks. Leaving on Monday morning we didn't see anyone from the festival helping out in the car park. Under normal conditions this wouldn't be too bad but parts of the car park were just a disaster.
Original post by Toshiya
I put something about better toilets... I'd definitely pay to not go in toilets that smelt that bad!!
I think I put rhcp as part of my ideal line up, I've always wanted to see them live, but I've heard they suck so I think I'll avoid it just so I'm not disappointed ever.
I don't understand people buying tickets now though. I'd be so miffed if I bought my ticket and the line up sucked, I only got my ticket in April once some of the really big ones were confirmed.

haha yeah i did that in 2011 and went in hating most of the headliners. although luckily the smaller bands were okay and whilst i dislike MCR they put on a pretty good performance with brian may. that's not a bad one though...announce the ****ing line up earlier haha. hmm yeah i was tempted to RHCP as i love them as a a band my friends said they were rubbish at reading in 2010 i think it was. hmmm what has everybody put as an activity or event sponsors to provide...i don't know what this could realistically include! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1184
Original post by Iso
Were there not toilets inside the main arena, (proper toilets)?

Dunno about Reading but at Leeds the arena toilets are portaloos. On Friday they were bad enough but Saturday and Sunday... Grim.
Original post by Devel
The major change that is required (Leeds) is for the festival to be better prepared for the weather. Every festival I have camped at has at some point experienced heavy rain but the site at Leeds was ridiculous at points. At Download this year the moment it started raining there were loads of teams around trying to help avoid serious issues arising from the mud. At Leeds I didn't see any attempts made to try do anything. Even doing stuff as simple as laying straw everywhere defiantly helps make conditions better. When a festival allows people of all ages to attend then they have a responsibility to make sure accessibility is always a priority.

This also extends to the car parks. Leaving on Monday morning we didn't see anyone from the festival helping out in the car park. Under normal conditions this wouldn't be too bad but parts of the car park were just a disaster.

Yep I put about improving the bad weather provisions on mine. Really, all they needed to do was give the CATS guidance on what to do and we could have helped out ... that's what we're there for after all.
Reply 1186
Original post by Harpoon
Yep I put about improving the bad weather provisions on mine. Really, all they needed to do was give the CATS guidance on what to do and we could have helped out ... that's what we're there for after all.

I agree completely. It is a management issue as opposed to individual staff on site. I can to an extent understand not much being done in the campsite and arena, as it was constantly being used by thousands of people. Although small measures can make a big difference maybe they just weren't anticipating the downpour that came on the Saturday and had nothing prepared. With the car park however there was no excuse. The weather turned drastically throughout Saturday and the site was still awful on Monday. I don't think we saw any staff on the Monday morning in the car park until we got to the exit and when thousands of people are leaving it just isn't acceptable. I think management will learn from it and handle it better next year though. Download were brilliant this year because they were prepared but they had major issues the year before.

I will say that I had no other issues aside from these. I not only thought that the arena layout and sound quality was outstanding but the general diversity of the line up meant that bands got generally amazing crowds. I know bands like NIN didn't get huge crowds but the people who were there down the front really made it incredible. Basically every concern I had about the festival was misguided and it was brilliant. Had they handled issues that came about due to the weather better I don't think I could have personally found a fault with the event.

Hopefully the Arctic Monkeys rumours are true for next year! :woo:
Reply 1187
Original post by Devel
At Leeds I didn't see any attempts made to try do anything. Even doing stuff as simple as laying straw everywhere defiantly helps make conditions better.

They did put straw around the main stage and at the bit where you get an 18+ wristband. It felt like they were trying to do the bare minimum..

Original post by Toshiya
Dunno about Reading but at Leeds the arena toilets are portaloos. On Friday they were bad enough but Saturday and Sunday... Grim.

You're lucky you got to go in a hotel/home afterwards!! I had to hold it for 5 days!!
Reply 1188
Original post by 0range
They did put straw around the main stage and at the bit where you get an 18+ wristband. It felt like they were trying to do the bare minimum..

You're lucky you got to go in a hotel/home afterwards!! I had to hold it for 5 days!!

Haha true, I got a nice shower as well :P but going to the toilet during the day was still a grim experience...
Original post by Devel

Hopefully the Arctic Monkeys rumours are true for next year! :woo:

I'm fairly sure they are, can't see them not headlining to be honest, with QOTSA subbing that would be one awesome day!
Original post by Superunknown17
I'm fairly sure they are, can't see them not headlining to be honest, with QOTSA subbing that would be one awesome day!

That would be ****ing awesome! I think QOTSA are more likely to be headlining though tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As in, QOTSA and Arctics will both headline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
That would be ****ing awesome! I think QOTSA are more likely to be headlining though tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think? I think they're too similar to headline together seeing as Josh Homme has worked on a load of Arctics songs and Turner has been on some QOTSA songs but I'd be perfectly happen with them both headlining :biggrin:

I'd also love Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, RATM or The Prodigy for the bands that are being thrown about.
Original post by Superunknown17
You think? I think they're too similar to headline together seeing as Josh Homme has worked on a load of Arctics songs and Turner has been on some QOTSA songs but I'd be perfectly happen with them both headlining :biggrin:

I'd also love Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, RATM or The Prodigy for the bands that are being thrown about.

Didn't Arcade Fire headline/sub a few years back? Similar thing with Rage, although I'd be so happy with any of them. I thought the headliners this year were underwhelming, to be honest, which is why I didn't go. Although, I've never really liked Eminem and am ambivalent towards Green Day so that probably explains it.

AM + QOTSA would be so sweet though, it's just I've been seeing everywhere that QOTSA are apparently a shoe in to headline next year.
Reply 1194
Original post by Endless Blue
Didn't Arcade Fire headline/sub a few years back? Similar thing with Rage, although I'd be so happy with any of them. I thought the headliners this year were underwhelming, to be honest, which is why I didn't go. Although, I've never really liked Eminem and am ambivalent towards Green Day so that probably explains it.

AM + QOTSA would be so sweet though, it's just I've been seeing everywhere that QOTSA are apparently a shoe in to headline next year.

Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA and The Prodigy would be incredible.

RATM are one of my favourite bands but ideally they would accept sub spots now. They have played four huge shows in the UK since ending their lengthy hiatus (R&L, Finsbury & Download) and if they aren't willing to write new music they should let other bands step up. They don't play long headline sets anyway and they could probably fit it into a longer sub spot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1195
Reply 1196
Original post by OConnell

Lit just jizzed.
Reply 1197
Metallica
Slipknot
Enter Shikari

The Prodigy
Rage Against The Machine
You Me At Six