The Student Room Group

Premier League Draft

Classic Forum Draft game - will need 16 players (or 8 if there's not enough interest). We'll also need a couple of reserves willing to step in. Post your username in bold if you're interested in playing.

- All players will be judged at their best for performances from the start of the Premier League up until the completion of last season (11/12).

- Players must have played at least 20 games in the Premier League.

- 3 players max from one football club

How the game works:

Spoiler

Look at the previous game for more information. You will need to be committed though - last draft was a whole lot of fun and really popular as quite a few players were involved!

Spoiler

Player List:
1. Welsh Leprecaun | Ronaldo | Alonso | Vidic | Irwin | Song | Ashley Young | Gary Kelly | Deco | Ivanović | Lehman | Adebayor | R.Keane
2. Mastermind' | Henry | G.Neville |Stam | Modric | J.F.Hasslebaink | Lucas Leiva | Mata | Nigel Martyn | Silvestre | Assou-Ekotto | Saha Guðjohnsen
3. Cll_ws | Cantona | Overmars | McGrath | Robben | Dixon | Juninho | Anelka | Parlour | John Arne Riise | Di Canio | Southgate | Bosnich
4. Kenan and Kel | Scholes | Fabregas | Terry | Petit | Carragher | Klinsmann | Reina | Wiltord | Robinho | P.Neville | Arbeloa | Lescott
5. Kevmeister | Andy Cole | VDS| Sol Campbell | Gilberto Silva | Finnan | Sheringham | Butt | Ugo Ehiogu | Pedersen | Solano | Babayaro | Sutton
6. Stu Laverty | Shearer | Beckham | Petr Čech | Evra | Fletcher | Tevez | Mellberg | Speed | Ferreira | Bellamy | Skrtel | Wilshere
7. samiz20891 | Ferdinand | Wright | David Batty | Pallister | Anderton | Winterburn | Waddle | Petrescu | Peter Beardsley | Southall | Popescu | Rob Lee
8. Multitalented me | Giggs | Lampard | Torres | Desailly | Ramires | Stuart Pearce | Nani | Joe Hart | Micah Richards | Heskey | Dunne | Hamann
9. Pn94 | Drogba | Makélélé | Carvalho | Mascherano | Nasri | Steve Bruce | Jay-Jay Okocha | Luis García | Aurelio | Chimbonda | Jääskeläinen | Balotelli
10. VQG | Keane | Le Tissier | Essien | S.McManaman | Keown | Aguero | Agger | Malouda | Baines | Lauren | Flowers | Leboeuf
11. pinda.college | A.Cole | van Nistelrooy | Solskjær | Sagna | Bale | Friedel | van der Vaart | Valencia | Dempsey | Hangeland | G.Cahill | Berbatov
12. 419 | Gerrard | Robin van Persie | Ljungberg | Gallas | Fabriccio Coloccini | Joe Cole | Suarez | Babbel | Poyet | Distin | Kanu | Fabian Barthez
13. Davesmith99 | Zola | Fowler | L.King | Paul Ince | Parker | Seaman | Kanchelskis | Arteta | Mark Wright | Clichy | R.Jones | Kieron Dyer
14. Tommyjw. | Schmeichel | Rooney | Owen | Hyypia | Carrick | Stephen Carr | Duff | Le Saux | Colin Hendry | McAllister | Lennon | James Milner
15. TheInvincibles14 | Bergkamp | Pires | Kompany | Ginola | Kolo Toure | Ballack | Fellaini | Given | J.Hernández | Zabeleta
16. little_wizard123 | T.Adams | Vieira | Y.Toure | D.Silva | Yorke | Les Ferdinand | Kewell | Harte | Martin Laursen | G.Johnson | Schwarzer | Merson

Round One

Kevmeister v Tommyjw.
Kenan and Kel v TheInvincibles14
little_wizard123 v Stu Laverty
Pn94 v pinda.college
Davesmith99 v 419
samiz20891 v VQG
Welsh Leprecaun v Multitalented me
Mastermind` v Cll_ws

Round Two

Stu Laverty v Welsh Leprecaun
Mastermind` v 419
Kenan and Kel v pinda.college
VQG v Tommyjw.

Semi-Finals

VQG v Kenan and Kel
Mastermind` v Welsh Leprecaun

Final:

VQG vs Welsh Leprecaun

Bios:
VQG
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
VQG
TheInvincibles14
Reply 3
Kevmeister

Just a thought, there should be some limit on players per PL team - 2 from any team? Players team based on longest spell if he played for multiple teams?
Reply 4
I'll go for it.

Tommyjw.
Original post by Kevmeister
Kevmeister

Just a thought, there should be some limit on players per PL team - 2 from any team? Players team based on longest spell if he played for multiple teams?

True, I imagine there will be a lot of United/Arsenal/Chelsea dominated teams if this isn't in place.
Mastermind`

Support Kev's suggestion on a limit on players per PL team.
I'll give it a go. samiz20891.
Reply 8
Kevmeister

Original post by TheInvincibles14
True, I imagine there will be a lot of United/Arsenal/Chelsea dominated teams if this isn't in place.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. Those are the three most successful teams of the Premier League era so it's natural to expect them to have had a lot of the better players. Plus we're judging the players at their best so I don't know if that should be the club they spent the most time at, or where people believe he was at their best (which is quite subjective). I wouldn't mind if everyone agrees but I think 2 is far too low, I'd go along with 3 or 4 players max from a club.
Reply 9
Original post by VQG
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. Those are the three most successful teams of the Premier League era so it's natural to expect them to have had a lot of the better players. Plus we're judging the players at their best so I don't know if that should be the club they spent the most time at, or where people believe he was at their best (which is quite subjective). I wouldn't mind if everyone agrees but I think 2 is far too low, I'd go along with 3 or 4 players max from a club.

3 max, tbh. 4 means nearly half a team can be picked.

2 or 3, we could have a vote. 2 does mean that one has to think outside the box, though. Gives more variation too.
Reply 10
I'll go again.

Reply 11
3 max, tbh. 4 means nearly half a team can be picked.

2 or 3, we could have a vote. 2 does mean that one has to think outside the box, though. Gives more variation too.

With 2 I think you'll find quite a few of the better players left out, plus remember we need to find 16 quality goalkeepers in this era which is going to be a challenge in itself.

The reason I put a limit on the number of nationalities in the previous draft was that the pool of quality players was quite big. The pool of players for this is just about okay. We don't exactly want lower mid table players in this.
little_wizard123
Original post by VQG
With 2 I think you'll find quite a few of the better players left out, plus remember we need to find 16 quality goalkeepers in this era which is going to be a challenge in itself.

The reason I put a limit on the number of nationalities in the previous draft was that the pool of quality players was quite big. The pool of players for this is just about okay. We don't exactly want lower mid table players in this.

But that's all part of the fun, picking the right players. Who cares if one or two of the better players are left out? 16 players means that 32 players from the dominant teams can be picked, that's the equivalent of three teams from any team during the PL era. I can think of 4 keepers still active that should be picked, and again, that's part and parcel, surely?

Also, some of the better players played for teams lower down. Not to mention the elitist element being brought in if you can pick 3/4 from any team.

Just my two cents. Lets vote on it once the draft is full. :smile:
I'll give this one a go, last one looked fun

Davesmith99
I'll have a pop

Welsh Leprecaun
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
I'll have a pop

Welsh Leprecaun

The order is picked through a random sequence generator (someone not playing can post it), in the second turn the order is reversed. It's explained a bit better in the OP.
I would join if I was entirely sober right now ...I have read the guideline atleast twice and still dont get it lol
Reply 18
I have no idea how it works as the rules just confused me even more, but I'll give it a go.
Reply 19
Original post by Thugnificent.
I would join if I was entirely sober right now ...I have read the guideline atleast twice and still dont get it lol

Original post by Musester
I have no idea how it works as the rules just confused me even more, but I'll give it a go.

Basically you pick a team of 11 players - in this case players from the Premier League era in a draft style. So everyone takes it in turns to pick a player, after everyone has picked a player the order is reversed. All the way up until we get a team of 11 players each.

Then we have a straight knock out competition where your teams play each other. The winner of each match is decided via a poll.

Quick Reply

Latest