The Student Room Group

Should trains have female only carriages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, it's a bad idea.
Reply 21
I don't think any women should be allowed within 10 feet of me because they might sexually assault me.
Original post by Pensivedore
The one for mothers and kids is a good idea, but then again most trains have a silent carriage where kids don't normally go to.

Really? You come from a better school than me!

We get a single 4 coach train at the end of school in one direction. Several hundred students trying to get on a 4 coach train never ends well. It is like Japan.

We seriously fit five per table, ~20 in the disable space, two in the toilet, four per pair of seats, up the aisle, balancing on top of chairs, etc. etc.!

Everyone is so determined to get home earlier than there is a fight at the doors to get on at all, and the last few practically jump on and squash everyone.

I feel so embarrassed usually. You get all of these businessmen happily reading their paper, suddenly to have a couple of hundred students squash onto tables and on top of seats holding the lugguge rack/hand rails.

And then there are the times when you get trapped on, and miss your stop, or get your face squashed somewhere very awkward.

And no one respects the quiet zones!
Reply 23
Original post by katyness
Yes! Especially if they've got kids. Mums cannot control their kids and then they make so much noise. When I was a kid my mum just needed to look at me and I'd shut up! We need that.

EDIT: I meant to say we need one for mothers and kids as well as another one just for women.

And why shouldn't there be one for fathers and their kids?
That's really not helping the situation.
And become like Japan? Hell no. And I've actually been 'accidently' groped/grazed by other women more than I've done it to other women accidentally.
I can understand why some people may want them. I remember when I was 13 and my sister was 11 and there was this guy that use to touch us on the train. We travelled to school during rush hour into central London so it got really packed, my sister used to get upset so we tried to avoid getting that train we saw him again though and he continued. I know he wasn't 'accidently' touching us he was rubbing is genitals all over us and when we moved he would move with us.
Reply 26
Original post by CJKay
And why shouldn't there be one for fathers and their kids?
That's really not helping the situation.

Fathers and their kids can go to the men's carriage. I don't care about the noise there.

I wasn't trying to ease anything, simply my line of thought.
No. We don't live in Saudi, thank you very much.

Child-free quiet carriages on the other hand . . . YES!
Reply 28
Yeah, that'll help the overcrowding on our trains which already don't have enough carriages... :rolleyes:
Pervy people are everywhere. I hate to do the ol' "If you do this, you must do x, y and z too", but what's the point in public roads, pavements, transport, etc if you have to find a way to separate everyone?

Sort out the problem people, not divide everyone. Trains are usually packed anyway. Where are the normal people going to sit?
Reply 30
Frankly most times I go to London I'm just glad to get on the tube, who cares what carriage it's in!
Reply 31

Yes. Why not?

A male-only carriage at the front, and a female-only carriage at the back.
Seems stupid if your justification is based on the exception rather than the rule, i.e. I've never heard of any major perverts on a train or the concept being common for a train journey.
Original post by ihatebrownbread
yeah, the same carriages that have cookers, dishwashers etc fitted into them

This.

But also, what? No, obviously they shouldn't.
Reply 34
Original post by Pensivedore
No, this isn't a good idea, and it won't really do much to deter some men (who are like that), to be honest.

(Though I also think it's a bad idea because then I won't be able to stare at the hot men..and stuff)

You realize you can just sit in a 'mixed carriage' right? There will probably only be one male-only and one female-only carriage. The rest will be just like tehy are at present.
Original post by effofex
You realize you can just sit in a 'mixed carriage' right? There will probably only be one male-only and one female-only carriage. The rest will be just like tehy are at present.

Oh right, I didn't realise. For some reason I just assumed that there will only be female-only and male-only carriages, and no mixed ones. Which is why I was a bit like :hmmm:
Reply 36
Original post by JG1233
Only if we get male only ones.

This.

This is quite a sexist idea tbh
And i dont see why we would need them anyway, i use trains several times a week and ive never had a problem with any guys :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Defiantly not! If there are ones for women only, then there should be one for men only, but in todays society that would probably be seen as sexist as we all live in some corrupt patriachy where everyone's oppressed or some **** like that.
Reply 38
Original post by katyness
Fathers and their kids can go to the men's carriage. I don't care about the noise there.

I wasn't trying to ease anything, simply my line of thought.

Wait, what..?

So women should get their own carriages, women with children should get their own carriages, and men and men with children are clumped together..?

Wow.

You are going to base this radical change on the reporting of one incident? To answer your question; no, don't be so ridiculous. Also, is that covert sexism I sense? Why not male only carriages? Are you insinuating that women do not do the same thing to men?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending