The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Middlesbrough Life

So, just got an unconditional offer from Teeside! I've heard great things about the university and...not so great things about the surrounding area.

I'm looking to rent my own flat in Middlesbrough, since I have bad experiences with shared living and student accommodations in the past, plus I'm an extreme introvert and I love my solitude.

So just wondering what are some of the nicer and quiet areas of Middlesbrough? I'm thinking of either Yarm, Nunthrope or Redcar, but I don't mind living all the way out in Darlington and commuting via train to university if need be.

I don't drink and I don't party so the nightlife, clubs or events is not of any interest to me. I'm a nerd so I'm more interested in somewhere quiet and peaceful that I can just tuck myself away when I'm not at uni to do my assignments or work on my hobbies. But I do cycle occasionally so maybe somewhere with good cycling routes or near the countryside?

Should also mention that I'm female, and Asian and I wonder what would it be like in Middlesbrough for someone like me? I've heard that there are some tensions between the locals and anyone that looks foreign, but I want to know how it is like realistically. Are there places I should avoid if I don't want to cause any trouble? And if I try applying for some part-time jobs will there be discrimination?

Regardless, I'm looking forwards to attending the university and I hope I would enjoy my stay in Middlesbrough.
Hi!
I live in Stockton-On-Tees which is pretty close to Middlesbrough and I go there frequently. Middlesbrough has both bad and good locations, but as it's a place that's quite good for nightlife, it can be pretty hectic and loud.

Yarm is a really nice place, but is more on the expensive side. Stockton, well Norton in particular has good transport links to Middlesbrough and is in a cute little village with a library and is pretty and is close enough for you to walk into Stockton town.

There are unfortunately people who are hostile towards people from ethnicities that differ from their own, but they are a minority!

I hope this helps, let me know if you'd like to know anything else. :smile:
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by CrimsonPromise
So, just got an unconditional offer from Teeside! I've heard great things about the university and...not so great things about the surrounding area.

I'm looking to rent my own flat in Middlesbrough, since I have bad experiences with shared living and student accommodations in the past, plus I'm an extreme introvert and I love my solitude.

So just wondering what are some of the nicer and quiet areas of Middlesbrough? I'm thinking of either Yarm, Nunthrope or Redcar, but I don't mind living all the way out in Darlington and commuting via train to university if need be.

I don't drink and I don't party so the nightlife, clubs or events is not of any interest to me. I'm a nerd so I'm more interested in somewhere quiet and peaceful that I can just tuck myself away when I'm not at uni to do my assignments or work on my hobbies. But I do cycle occasionally so maybe somewhere with good cycling routes or near the countryside?

Should also mention that I'm female, and Asian and I wonder what would it be like in Middlesbrough for someone like me? I've heard that there are some tensions between the locals and anyone that looks foreign, but I want to know how it is like realistically. Are there places I should avoid if I don't want to cause any trouble? And if I try applying for some part-time jobs will there be discrimination?

Regardless, I'm looking forwards to attending the university and I hope I would enjoy my stay in Middlesbrough.

Hi :smile:

We're really looking forward to you joining us! Congratulations on securing your place.

We love it here and have a very friendly and diverse community around us. As with all towns you'll find places you like more than others but we hope you'll feel happy, safe and secure here. Lots of students don't partake in the nightlife side of things but there are many brilliant societies available through the University's Students' Union if you have any spare time - it may be worth you exploring your options during welcome week (have a quick look here) - it could be a way to share or develop your hobbies with others.

Have a look at our region pages for information on the surrounding towns and nice places to visit :smile: There are lots of coastal towns which you may enjoy spending time in. And lots of nearby countryside to enjoy too.

You're welcome to give our accommodation team a call - they can advise on nearby towns and villages and can give you some guidance on where you might like to live. :redface: 01642 342255. [email protected].

Call in to the Students' Union when you arrive - there's a job shop and a jobs wall which is a great way to find flexible, part-time work to fit around your studies. You might like to consider working as a student ambassador too - working for the university, alongside other students, helping out at open days, events, working in local schools and lots more, it's a wonderful job and a brilliant way to connect with like-minded individuals :smile:.

We're here to support you during your studies - please let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything we can help with (now or when you arrive).

:flower2:
Reply 3
Middlesbrough is generally a bad area and you DO NOT want to out alone at night, my friends have been followed home and we've seen girls being dragged by men from car parks, so you have to be careful!

In terms of your looks you will be fine, it's just a lot of middle eastern people seem to be rude so people didn't take well to that.

My friend said there are plenty of jobs going in greggs if you want one (they're actually struggling to hire someone who speaks english)

good luck :smile:
Reply 4

Hello,
My name is Dawn and I'm a student ambassador at Teesside University.
First of all, congratulations on gaining a place at Teesside, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
I have only just signed up to Student Room and apologise for the delay in replying to you.

As far as where to live?... I am a mature student so don't have vast knowledge of student accommodation but live 5 minutes away from Yarm. There is a train station in Eaglescliffe (and also Yarm) for commute to university with the Middlesbrough train station only being a 10-15 minute walk away.

Eaglescliffe/Yarm is a wonderful part of the area and you will have no problems as a female Asian living in this area. Please do not worry🙂.

You will also experience no discrimination when applying for jobs...the Teesside area is very diverse.

I truly hope this is useful and hasn't thrown a 'spanner in the works' as it has been 2 weeks since you posted...there are other lovely lovely places to live in Teesside and I am only talking from my own experience.

If you need any advice just ask and hopefully we'll see you as an ambassador once you get settled in.

Good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I have lived in Darlington all my life and it’s nice here, a bit chavvy but harmless, if you’re moving to Darlington let me know the areas you’re looking at. Stockton is also okay in parts, especially the Hartburn area. If you move to Darlington you can get a monthly bus pass for 85.00 that will get you to uni and back and also can be used on any Arriva journey in the Darlington and Middlesbrough. From experience I’d certainly not move to Middlesbrough centre In a hurry unless you like knife fighting but my friend lives in the Eaglescliffe area and that is really nice.

If you consider looking at Darlington let me know what your options are and I will tell you if it is okay.
Reply 6
Sadly this seems to be very popular these days in most towns :frown:

Yeah I agree Norton or Yarm. Yarm especially if you like going to a decent pub or two on a Saturday night :wink:

I know you don't need a reply now but for anyone else, if you don't mind commuting for 20mins to the centre of Middlesbrough then Stokesley, Great Ayton and surrounding area probably nicest place close to teesside. Like Yarm but prettier, smaller, cheaper, less pretentious and closer to beautiful countryside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending