The Student Room Group

PGCE in physics or maths or both?

I'm about to enter my final year of undergraduate physics, planning on training to teach secondary (and potentially sixth form too?). Some unis, including UoM where I currently study, offer a Physics & Maths PGCE. Some, like Oxbridge, only offer them as separate courses. I'm really stuck on which to apply for when applications open! Could I train in physics, then teach maths later, or vice versa? Or could the combined course almost double my prospects?

Then again, I'm not sure which subject would suit me more. I feel confident that I could handle the material of either physics or maths, but Im wondering how the challenges of teaching physics or maths compare. Which is more fulfilling? Are physics practicals/labs a total pain?

Would it be reasonable or desirable to teach both physics and maths? Would a physics teacher be expected to also teach some chemistry and biology? Is there a discernable difference in pay, and promotion prospects, in either department? As a female teacher, would I be in demand or disadvantaged at all?

Apologies for the long list of questions. Any answers at all, or suggestions of factors I've not considered here, would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by erisology
I'm about to enter my final year of undergraduate physics, planning on training to teach secondary (and potentially sixth form too?). Some unis, including UoM where I currently study, offer a Physics & Maths PGCE. Some, like Oxbridge, only offer them as separate courses. I'm really stuck on which to apply for when applications open! Could I train in physics, then teach maths later, or vice versa? Or could the combined course almost double my prospects?

Then again, I'm not sure which subject would suit me more. I feel confident that I could handle the material of either physics or maths, but Im wondering how the challenges of teaching physics or maths compare. Which is more fulfilling? Are physics practicals/labs a total pain?

Would it be reasonable or desirable to teach both physics and maths? Would a physics teacher be expected to also teach some chemistry and biology? Is there a discernable difference in pay, and promotion prospects, in either department? As a female teacher, would I be in demand or disadvantaged at all?

Apologies for the long list of questions. Any answers at all, or suggestions of factors I've not considered here, would be much appreciated.

Your PGCE qualifies you to teach - mine doesn't name the subject I trained in. However you may want to think about taking the joint one as it will prepare you for practicals. Both Physics and Maths are shortage subjects so finding a job will be relatively straightforward. I'm female and it has made no difference [I teach Maths].

Personally I do enjoy A level teaching the most because students have chosen to study the subject. However I do enjoy Year 7 as well and spotting talent ...

It's good to 'belong' to a deaprtment so I'd suggest which is going to be your main and have the other as a second subject - in my school you'd be unlikely to have to teach other sciences if you teach Maths and do some Physics or vice-versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending