The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

advice needed LSE or UCL

got rejected for maths and economics at LSE 2day, was gna be my 1st choice but never mind, neway i already got an offer for managemental sciences from lse n they want bbb, and i also got an offer from ucl for mathematics and economics and they want aaa. im not sure which one to put as my first choice as i really want to go to lse cuz of its rep n cuz i like the uni, but i also dont mind ucl that much but the degree course there is better. any advice on what i shud do, n what dus everyone think of managemental sciences, seeing as i want to go into investmenst banking or accountancy afterwards plz help!!!shud i go for a degree from a very good uni (lse) or do the degree course thats better but ucl isnt as respected as lse, eventho it is still very highly repuable

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
princess
got rejected for maths and economics at LSE 2day, was gna be my 1st choice but never mind, neway i already got an offer for managemental sciences from lse n they want bbb, and i also got an offer from ucl for mathematics and economics and they want aaa. im not sure which one to put as my first choice as i really want to go to lse cuz of its rep n cuz i like the uni, but i also dont mind ucl that much but the degree course there is better. any advice on what i shud do, n what dus everyone think of managemental sciences, seeing as i want to go into investmenst banking or accountancy afterwards plz help!!!shud i go for a degree from a very good uni (lse) or do the degree course thats better but ucl isnt as respected as lse, eventho it is still very highly repuable

Well, if it was me I would choose LSE cos it's next to Oxford Street so my advice probably isn't the best!

I think the course is the main thing - do the one you will enjoy and benefit from the most because you will have to study it for three years. I think maths and economics would be more respected and UCL is a good uni.

I say UCL first and LSE insurance. That way even if you don't get AAA you will still have LSE to fall back on. It's a win-win situation!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
princess

check ur PM.
Reply 3
princess

for me i would go to economics and maths at ucl. As i have said many times before, ucl has one of the best economics department in the uk, and managemental sciences is not that well regarded esp from employers, esp comparing to economics and maths.
Reply 4
princess

At the end of the day it's all up to you, and I'm not clear on how well management BA is respected.

Saying that though, what analytical skills does a degree in management sciences provide you? You'll need to write reports when you're an investment banking novice, to help your boss decide where to invest.

Several years later, if you are successful, the bank will send you to do an MBA, because afterwards you'll be elevated to associate position, where you'll need team management skills.

LSE does have an amazing reputation but if you did a less respected degree from there, will it give you any advantage in the job market at all?
Reply 5
Mysticmin
At the end of the day it's all up to you, and I'm not clear on how well management BA is respected.

Saying that though, what analytical skills does a degree in management sciences provide you? You'll need to write reports when you're an investment banking novice, to help your boss decide where to invest.

Several years later, if you are successful, the bank will send you to do an MBA, because afterwards you'll be elevated to associate position, where you'll need team management skills.

LSE does have an amazing reputation but if you did a less respected degree from there, will it give you any advantage in the job market at all?

exactly
Reply 6
TheWolf
for me i would go to economics and maths at ucl. As i have said many times before, ucl has one of the best economics department in the uk, and managemental sciences is not that well regarded esp from employers, esp comparing to economics and maths.

I don't think this is particularly good advice. I'm not going to suggest either way, as this is a decision that you're going to have to make. However, LSE Management is one of the most marketable degrees in the UK if you're looking to work in the City, without doubt. The people on this course seem to do incredibly well, quite a few go into the top IB's as well as the large accounting firms. To suggest it isn't so highly regarded by employers is laughable, literally.
Reply 7
LSE all the wayy, but then thats just cuz i applied for the same course and have made it my firm choice.. although i based my decision on the fact that i dont really think i would be happy studying eco for THREE yrs straight, and secondly, in Pakistan(wher i come from) LSE has a much much better reputation. So.. but, do let me know what u decided !
Reply 8
J.S.
I don't think this is particularly good advice. I'm not going to suggest either way, as this is a decision that you're going to have to make. However, LSE Management is one of the most marketable degrees in the UK if you're looking to work in the City, without doubt. The people on this course seem to do incredibly well, quite a few go into the top IB's as well as the large accounting firms. To suggest it isn't so highly regarded by employers is laughable, literally.

I disagree with you. I cant stand listening to people saying. ' it is really your choice at the end of the day....etc' Dont you think that the person doesnt know that? This forum is for giving out opinions, so stop being so conservative. My uncle works in Lehmann Brothers and employs many people every year, and he thinks that a degree in economics is better than a degree in management...so i think TheWolf is right
Reply 9
ABCD
I disagree with you. I cant stand listening to people saying. ' it is really your choice at the end of the day....etc' Dont you think that the person doesnt know that? This forum is for giving out opinions, so stop being so conservative. My uncle works in Lehmann Brothers and employs many people every year, and he thinks that a degree in economics is better than a degree in management...so i think TheWolf is right

Exactly, i know a few of my friends' parents who work for the City, and they do favour people who to economics. Investment banking is very mathematically based, and a degree in economics is more mathematically based than a degree in management. S
Reply 10
umm, all these opinions have made me think, is economics that better than management sciences?, and are there any chances of me chaning my course once i get in??, maybe to something like accounting and finance if not economics!
Reply 11
princess

GO TO lse !

if u dont like the course, u can always change it !
Reply 12
illumintai
GO TO lse !

Are you sure that u can change courses in LSE?, last i heard is that they dont let u change!..
Reply 13
illumintai
GO TO lse !

how do you change it?
sorry i'm just wondering...what do ppl think about econ and stat. in UCL?
is it regarded as a good course? comparing to acc n fin (e.g. in LSE or Warwick) which one is more useful and well-regarded?
thx
Reply 15
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
sorry i'm just wondering...what do ppl think about econ and stat. in UCL?
is it regarded as a good course? comparing to acc n fin (e.g. in LSE or Warwick) which one is more useful and well-regarded?
thx

i would say both are about the same, lse in acc n fin is sooo hard to get into with minimum requirements at aab yet so many aaa people cant get in. But i would choose economics as it is more broad, but both are really useful and well-regarded. :cool:
Reply 16
ABCD

The LSE Management degree is KNOWN specifically for its employability. I can think of 3 people just off the top of my head from that particular course who are now working for the top IB's, I'm referring here to Morgan Stanley and JP. If you're looking for a job in the City you *CANNOT* go wrong with Management *FROM LSE* (you seem to have overlooked that this isn't Management from Derby University!). If s/he does that particular course and does well, s/he will get interviews from absolutely anywhere providing their answers on their app. form match whatever it is the particular company is looking for. Trust me, throughout the LSE Management is known as a very very highly regarded degree in the city. Take a look at the postgrad. course in the same subject at the same Uni., it's priced at 14 k a year-for home students also (!!!), go find me a degree, indeed any degree that's priced at 14k at UCL!

As for the IB's wanting Maths, I know people working in IB who've studied International Relations at the LSE! Your degree does **NOT**get you a job per se, it only brings you an interview, and providing it's an impressive looking application form you've filled out, you will get an interview. That is whether you've studied Government, Law, International Relations, Economics or Management at the LSE.
Although what's most amusing is that Management Sciences is actually very highly maths based, it's organised by the dept. Operational Research. Note, there are actually 2 Management degrees, the other is held at the Management Institute, both are exceptionally well regarded. Also, both would encourage you, perhaps even be necessary for you to take outside modules in Accounting/Finance/Economics/Maths/Stats and the like.

Also, LSE carries greater clout in both academia and the City than UCL!
I don't think Wolf is wrong, I know for a fact he is wrong.
Reply 17
J.S.
The LSE Management degree is KNOWN specifically for its employability. I can think of 3 people just off the top of my head from that particular course who are now working for the top IB's, I'm referring here to Morgan Stanley and JP. If you're looking for a job in the City you CANNOT go wrong with Management FROM LSE (you seem to have overlooked that this isn't Management from Derby University!). If s/he does that particular course and does well s/he will get interviews from absolutely anywhere providing their answers on their app form match whatever it is the particular company is looking for.

look at one of the top investment bank's websites, and look at the profiles, which one of these people have got a degree in Marketing? from my memory - none, most have economics degree or joint economics degree.
Reply 18
ABCD
look at one of the top investment bank's websites, and look at the profiles, which one of these people have got a degree in Marketing? from my memory - none, most have economics degree or joint economics degree.

By Marketing, do you mean Management Studies? :wink:
Reply 19
mg84
By Marketing, do you mean Management Studies? :wink:

lol yea i think he does

Latest

Trending

Trending