The Student Room Group

Confusion regarding what A-levels to pick

I have recently decided that I would like to pursue a career in law. This has caused me to re-evaluate what subjects I should take.

Just to provide a background, I am new to the GCE board of education and have not yet properly been acquainted with what the coursework is like.

Initially, I had decided to take English Lit., Maths, Sociology and Economics. However, I now think that it would be more useful to drop Sociology and choose History instead. I am also not sure of whether I should take Economics as well since what I’ve read about taking 4 A-levels tells me that it’s a fairly tough thing to do.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply 1
Maths, English Literature and History should be fine, but you'll need A*A*A for being shortlisted for interview at Oxford or Cambridge. :wink:

If you take 4 A-Levels, then you will need to be sure you can handle the workload? :s-smilie:

But it would be easier to take Maths, Economics and History as you would do less reading!!! :wink:

Are you applying to Cambridge? Oxford? Durham? LSE? UCL? KCL? SOAS? QMUL?

Are you also an International student with IGCSEs? or IB? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 months ago)
I have not done my secondary schooling in an international board (IGCSE/IB).

I do plan on applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL and KCL.

Reading isn’t really an issue for me as I do enjoy studying English Literature and as I would have to do intensive reading if I were to study law.

I guess the question I really have is whether it would be useful to take Economics as a fourth subject, or would it just be a burden?
Reply 3
Original post by serene-discourag
I have not done my secondary schooling in an international board (IGCSE/IB).

I do plan on applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL and KCL.

Reading isn’t really an issue for me as I do enjoy studying English Literature and as I would have to do intensive reading if I were to study law.

I guess the question I really have is whether it would be useful to take Economics as a fourth subject, or would it just be a burden?

What are your IGCSE subjects and grades? :smile: If you don't have mostly 8s and 9s then you can forget about Oxford Law. But Cambridge are much more kind to GCSEs.

It would look great to have Maths, Economics, History and English Literature for LSE, UCL, KCL and especially Cambridge. Almost all of these applicants will have A*A*A or A*A*A* predicted, so by having A*A*A*A or greater predicted you'll be a at an advantage,

So yes, if you can get A*A*AA or more in Maths, Economics, History and English Literature, then you will do fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest