The Student Room Group

2023-24 MSc Finance applicants + GMAT prep

Hi guys,

I thought I'd make this thread for MSc Finance (or similar) applicants in 2023-24 to connect and also a place for those doing the GMAT to discuss / study.

I'm a 2021 Maths grad (2:1, Southampton) working at a Fintech in London as a Business Analyst. Looking at applying to London based MSc Finance courses (definitely LSE, Imperial, UCL and then perhaps Cass/LBS) and planning on doing the GMAT at the start of Jan (so I can spend most of Christmas studying, but might do it sooner if prep goes well).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DocsAnalyst
Hi guys,

I thought I'd make this thread for MSc Finance (or similar) applicants in 2023-24 to connect and also a place for those doing the GMAT to discuss / study.

I'm a 2021 Maths grad (2:1, Southampton) working at a Fintech in London as a Business Analyst. Looking at applying to London based MSc Finance courses (definitely LSE, Imperial, UCL and then perhaps Cass/LBS) and planning on doing the GMAT at the start of Jan (so I can spend most of Christmas studying, but might do it sooner if prep goes well).

Do you think I could get in from Kent Accounting and Finance? I’m in year 13.
Original post by Blablu
Do you think I could get in from Kent Accounting and Finance? I’m in year 13.

Your best bet is focussing on your degree at Kent - get a 1st and a good GMAT score, some relevant internships etc and I see no reason why not.
Hi guys,

Hello,

Thanks for starting this thread.

I think going forward we should follow the following structure;

- Current/Previous University:
- Current/Previous Course:
- Current/Previous Experience:
- Achieved/Expected Grade:
- Prospective Course:

If you've already applied can you share a timeline?

- Completed application (including references and supporting doc) on:
- Contacted for interview on (if any):
- Interview date (if any):
- Outcome date:

- Then follow up with GMAT related questions.

What do you think?
(edited 1 year ago)
- Current/Previous University: Heriot Watt University
- Current/Previous Course: BSc Computer Science (Graduate '21)
- Current/Previous Experience: Graduate Software Engineer in Edinburgh
- Achieved Grade: 2:1 (Graduate '21)
- Prospective Course: MSc Financial Technology/ Risk Management and Financial Engineering
- Other Universities you’re applying to: UCL, KCL, LBS

I'll be following a similar schedule, with a test date at the start of Jan. How far into the GMAT Prep are you?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by FinTechDLT
Hello,

Thanks for starting this thread.

I think going forward we should follow the following structure;

- Current/Previous University:
- Current/Previous Course:
- Current/Previous Experience:
- Achieved/Expected Grade:
- Prospective Course:

- Completed application (including references and supporting doc) on:
- Contacted for interview on (if any):
- Interview date (if any):
- Outcome date:

- Then follow up with GMAT related questions.

What do you think?

Sure I guess, I didn't plan on it being so formal but if that's the way people want to set it up then sure.
Current/Previous University: The University of Southampton
- Current/Previous Course: Mathematics BSc
- Achieved/Expected Grade: 2:1 (graduated 2021)
- Current/Previous Experience: Business Analyst at a hyper-growth Fintech, Sales Operations Analyst at another hyper-growth fintech.
- Prospective Course: MSc Finance

-Universities you’re applying to: UCL, LSE, Imperial, Cass/LBS maybe.

Haven't started the GMAT yet, but will be doing ASAP. If I could get it finished sooner rather than later, it'd be a real result. Not looking for a crazy score (700 or so and I'm happy).
(edited 1 year ago)
Sure I guess, I didn't plan on it being so formal but if that's the way people want to set it up then sure.

hahah, I won't call it formal; we are however able to quickly look at information and act.
Current/Previous University: The University of Southampton
- Current/Previous Course: Mathematics BSc (graduated '21)
- Achieved/Expected Grade: 2:1 (graduated '21)
- Current/Previous Experience: Business Analyst at a hyper-growth Fintech, Sales Operations Analyst at another hyper-growth fintech.

-Universities you’re applying to: UCL, LSE, Imperial, Cass/LBS maybe.

Haven't started the GMAT yet, but will be doing ASAP. If I could get it finished sooner rather than later, it'd be a real result. Not looking for a crazy score (700 or so and I'm happy).

Fair play, I only just started this week. Likewise, I would be aiming for 730+ to compensate for the lack of BSc maths.
Original post by FinTechDLT
Fair play, I only just started this week. Likewise, I would be aiming for 730+ to compensate for the lack of BSc maths.

What are your plans to study?
Reply 10
- Current/Previous University: Durham University
- Current/Previous Course: Economics
- Current/Previous Experience: Hedge Fund summer internship
- Achieved/Expected Grade: 2:1 (2023 Graduation)
- Prospective Course: LSE, Imperial, Warwick, LBS, (UCL)

Looking to take GMAT in October.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Hi all,

-Current University: Lancaster University (2023 graduation)
-Current Course: Economics
-Expected Grade: 1st Class
-Prospective Course: MSc Finance/MSc Finance & Accounting
-Other Universities I am applying to: Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick

If you've already applied (Imperial) can you share a timeline?

-Applied for MSc Finance & Accounting
-Completed application on: Submitted on 25/09/22 and received final reference on 30/09/22
-Contacted for interview on: 11/10/22
-Completed interview on: 15/10/22
-Outcome: TBC
(edited 1 year ago)
Going through, and testing myself on the official GMAT guide, what about yourself?
What are your plans to study?
Good luck, do let us know how it goes.
Original post by TFBM14
Hi all,

-Current University: Lancaster University (2023 graduation)
-Current Course: Economics
-Expected Grade: 1st Class
-Prospective Course: MSc Finance/MSc Finance & Accounting
-Other Universities I am applying to: Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick

-Applied for MSc Finance & Accounting
-Completed application on: Submitted on 25/09/22 and received final reference on 30/09/22
-Contacted for interview on: 11/10/22
-Completed interview on: 15/10/22
-Outcome: TBC
Hi guys,

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm considering MSc Finance and only recently started seriously looking into it so have some open questions and would appreciate any input. Seems like LSE and Imperial are pursued alot, but other than that, I'd appreciate any suggestions on good universities. I'm not too keen on pursuing a big name as long as the course content is good. I understand a good university is likely to offer better content and opportunities but just puting it out there. Funding is also a concern so any input on that would also be appreciated. I'll share the details I'm comfortable sharing below.

- Previous Course: Software Eng.
- Current Experience: Junior Dev
- Achieved Grade: First (2022)

Questions:
- Do I need a GMAT since I have a first in a STEM qualification?
- What are some good universities in and out of the UK?
Reply 15
Original post by anonwashere
Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm considering MSc Finance and only recently started seriously looking into it so have some open questions and would appreciate any input. Seems like LSE and Imperial are pursued alot, but other than that, I'd appreciate any suggestions on good universities. I'm not too keen on pursuing a big name as long as the course content is good. I understand a good university is likely to offer better content and opportunities but just puting it out there. Funding is also a concern so any input on that would also be appreciated. I'll share the details I'm comfortable sharing below.

- Previous Course: Software Eng.
- Current Experience: Junior Dev
- Achieved Grade: First (2022)

Questions:
- Do I need a GMAT since I have a first in a STEM qualification?
- What are some good universities in and out of the UK?

I recently accepted my offer to study an MSc in Finance & Accounting at Imperial commencing 2023 so I can offer some advice. Whether you should take the GMAT depends on how quantitative your undergraduate was and whether it is required for the course. I did not do the GMAT because my undergraduate degree was very quantitative and the MSc in Finance & Accounting isn't as quantitatively demanding as the MSc in Finance programme. However, the GMAT will open more doors for you as many institutions require it (LSE and LBS for example) and it will add value to your application if your undergraduate degree is less quantitative.

However, you should ideally apply as soon as possible since most universities apply on a rolling basis. You might be better off applying to courses/universities which do not require the GMAT (or only recommend it) in order to submit an early application. If you decide to take the GMAT, I would say that the latest you should take it is January if you want to be as competitive as possible.
(edited 1 year ago)
Sending a warning to anyone considering ucl for the msc finance, if you don't fancy having 16 group projects with harsh marking in your first term alone, pick somewhere else
hi! has anyone applied for kcl msc banking and finance? any progress on your application so far? thank you :smile:
Original post by dustbin101
hi! has anyone applied for kcl msc banking and finance? any progress on your application so far? thank you :smile:

I'm Imperial, UCL and LSE MSc Finance. No progress on my applications, but got 700 on my first full GMAT yesterday.
Applied MSc finance at LSE and Warwick
Update : got on LSE waitlist on 9/12
Anyone on the same boat ?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending