The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

birds??????

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing intrinsic to people who are doctors or from LSE/Harvard/MIT/Oxbridge though. People do... slide as it were.

Almost everyone is intelligent in some way. Taking a purist approach as an economist, with comparative advantage even. Your own superficial tendancies are showing :wink:

I usually talk a little - ask her what's she doing at the moment

Makes (more) sense. Going. 'Hi, I go to LSE' as the first thing you say would likely be blanked.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Well President,
I think you're trying to quantify something that is inherently not academic - this is more an art than science my friend - and you can rationalize the situation - but we're dealing with irrational actors.

And yes, LSE does come up - I do go to school - it's what I do full time now - I'm not sure how I would need/want to avoid it - I'm proud of it and it's a big part of my life now - if girls like it - all the better.
President_Ben
There's nothing intrinsic to people who are doctors or from LSE/Harvard/MIT/Oxbridge though. People do... slide as it were.

Almost everyone is intelligent in some way. Taking a purist approach as an economist, with comparative advantage even. Your own superficial tendancies are showing :wink:

Makes (more) sense. Going. 'Hi, I go to LSE' as the first thing you say would likely be blanked.

That's a good point - I wasn't thinking about it like that.

And yeah, if anyone ever came up to me and said, 'Hi, I go to Yale', then I'd more than likely be tempted to walk off.
Reply 23
Angel Interceptor
Meh, I think that name-dropping of a prestigious university would only appeal to the shallowest of girls. I love intelligent girls as well, however I've met some complete idiots from Oxford that didn't appeal to me, whilst I've also met girls from 'lesser' universities such as Kent or City that have been wonderfully smart and interesting. However, one can only find out what these girls and people in general are like by actually conversing properly with them - loud bar or not.

The girls that you've dated just like the LSE thing? My, that'd upset me if someone I was dating was going out with me simply because of the institution I attend as opposed to the character of my soul.

I didn't say that girls date me because of the LSE thing - it just another attractive quality, like a pretty face or long legs on a girl. I personally like taller girls because I am tall - does that mean that all tall women are girls I am going to dig? No, not a all - but it's something I def. notice and use in my assessment of a girl - that's all dude.

I'm sure there are brilliant people everywhere, but all I'm telling you is that girls like the LSE thing, and I'm reasonably smart - so it works. I'm just telling some new LSE folk that it does work.

An analogy - my friend has an english accent - he's a complete douche - but when he comes to visit me back home in N.A, he gets mad women - why? because girls are super attracted to his accent - many girls are attracted to my NA accent as well - so it might seem shallow, but it's an attractive quality - it's innate dude, I'm not sure if you want the slag in the corner who fills your soul - I just like tall, pretty smart girls.
Angel Interceptor
That's a good point - I wasn't thinking about it like that.

And yeah, if anyone ever came up to me and said, 'Hi, I go to Yale', then I'd more than likely be tempted to walk off.

Quite. Don't let yourself become someone that clings onto the heels of something else that starts to define you. Define yourself and all that jazz...

Well President,
I think you're trying to quantify something that is inherently not academic - this is more an art than science my friend - and you can rationalize the situation - but we're dealing with irrational actors.

And yes, LSE does come up - I do go to school - it's what I do full time now - I'm not sure how I would need/want to avoid it - I'm proud of it and it's a big part of my life now - if girls like it - all the better.

No, some things are empirically pretty clear. eg. walking up to someone and smacking them with a glass bottle is not likely to win their favour. I don't think bragging has ever managed to develop or start any of the relationships or friendships I have or have had.

That people would only be interested in me because of what I do, where I go rather than who I am would be something I'm intelligent enough to pick up (usually, alcohol can make things tricky).
rboogie

I'm sure there are brilliant people everywhere, but all I'm telling you is that girls like the LSE thing, and I'm reasonably smart - so it works. I'm just telling some new LSE folk that it does work.

I have a feeling it is completely irrelevant, actually.

An analogy - my friend has an english accent - he's a complete douche - but when he comes to visit me back home in N.A, he gets mad women - why? because girls are super attracted to his accent - many girls are attracted to my NA accent as well - so it might seem shallow, but it's an attractive quality - it's innate dude, I'm not sure if you want the slag in the corner who fills your soul - I just like tall, pretty smart girls.

No, what is really going on is that your mate is picking up slags and I would venture that you could well be doing the same if you are going after people interested in something other than, as was eloquently put, the character of your soul.
Reply 26
President_Ben
Quite. Don't let yourself become someone that clings onto the heels of something else that starts to define you. Define yourself and all that jazz...

No, some things are empirically pretty clear. eg. walking up to someone and smacking them with a glass bottle is not likely to win their favour. I don't think bragging has ever managed to develop or start any of the relationships or friendships I have or have had.

That people would only be interested in me because of what I do, where I go rather than who I am would be something I'm intelligent enough to pick up (usually, alcohol can make things tricky).

yeah, alcohol does make it a mess - but isn't what I do part of who I am? I am student, I go to LSE - I'm doing an MSc, I like sports and cars and a whole bunch of things - what I do is related to who I am. I like politics - and I have worked for some politiicians - I mention that because it's important to me and does define me.

I don't know man - I think the point is that it's not bragging - it's just something chicks dig. I dig pretty girls - does that make me a terrible person? I don't know, but I don't think so.
rboogie
I didn't say that girls date me because of the LSE thing - it just another attractive quality, like a pretty face or long legs on a girl. I personally like taller girls because I am tall - does that mean that all tall women are girls I am going to dig? No, not a all - but it's something I def. notice and use in my assessment of a girl - that's all dude.

The girl would like you because you're a smart guy - why should they care what institution you attend? It seems more than irrelevant in most circumstances unless they are some nitwit social climber.

Your 'douche' friend with the English accent probably gets so much attention in N.A., because it's unusual to properly converse with someone that speaks 'proper English' out there, and perhaps the same could be true of yourself to a lesser extent in London as well.

I don't want any 'slag' thank you very much - I just choose to like girls and people in general because of who they are, not where they go.
Reply 28
well ben, I don't stash a wedding ring in my pocket when I go out to cheapskates - I guess if you're interested in soul searching all the time when you're drunk and at the bar, then so be it.

In my experience, I just find that when I'm drunk, I look for pretty girls - if they're donks, then they're donks, but a pretty girl with a nice smile and something interesting to say is enough for me - this kind of stuff needn't be this complicated fellas - and it's not.

Drop the LSE line once - see what happens - you can then judge for yourselves and see if it's 'soul-worthy' enough or not - if not, then move on - go find what you like.
rboogie
yeah, alcohol does make it a mess - but isn't what I do part of who I am? I am student, I go to LSE - I'm doing an MSc, I like sports and cars and a whole bunch of things - what I do is related to who I am. I like politics - and I have worked for some politiicians - I mention that because it's important to me and does define me.

You are not your products nor the things that are external to you. You, the person, are a complex being that reacts to other things and it is how you react that defines who you are. Something that is best observed rather than deduced or inferred.

The past is not always a guide to the present. Especially since people do tell porkies or spin yarn. Not saying you are, but people are mindful of these things.

I don't know man - I think the point is that it's not bragging - it's just something chicks dig. I dig pretty girls - does that make me a terrible person? I don't know, but I don't think so.

Makes you superficial. Them too. Is this bad? Is ignorance bliss?

Philosophising over the human condition and the nature of human interaction at 3am and beyond :cool: Now that is a sign of intelligence :wink: (or stupidity)
rboogie
well ben, I don't stash a wedding ring in my pocket when I go out to cheapskates - I guess if you're interested in soul searching all the time when you're drunk and at the bar, then so be it.

Bit old for cheapskates aren't you!! :eek:

I'm a second year and feel ancient. Nevermind postgrad (which you are, I think)

Drop the LSE line once - see what happens - you can then judge for yourselves and see if it's 'soul-worthy' enough or not - if not, then move on - go find what you like.

I've done my fair share of social experimentation in all kinds of collaborated ways. As someone in a stable and looking increasingly long-term relationship, doing such things now would probably be a bad idea. Walls have ears you know.
rboogie
In my experience, I just find that when I'm drunk, I look for pretty girls - if they're donks, then they're donks, but a pretty girl with a nice smile and something interesting to say is enough for me - this kind of stuff needn't be this complicated fellas - and it's not.

See, something interesting to say - saying 'I go to LSE' is hardly interesting - it's just a fact - that's all. I would have a better chance of enticing a girl by saying 'Excuse me, but did you know that there have been 776 Nobel Prize winners up until now?'.
President_Ben
You are not your products nor the things that are external to you. You, the person, are a complex being that reacts to other things and it is how you react that defines who you are. Something that is best observed rather than deduced or inferred.

The past is not always a guide to the present. Especially since people do tell porkies or spin yarn. Not saying you are, but people are mindful of these things.

Makes you superficial. Them too. Is this bad? Is ignorance bliss?

Philosophising over the human condition and the nature of human interaction at 3am and beyond :cool: Now that is a sign of intelligence :wink: (or stupidity)

Agree with the whole lot - nicely put.

As for the last bit, I think that the twin faces of intelligence and stupidity are equally responsible for me being up at this hour, but as least discussint the finer points of the human conditon amongst other things. And on that note, I shall finally yearn to reason and head off to bed. Goodnight guys. :smile:
Angel Interceptor
See, something interesting to say - saying 'I go to LSE' is hardly interesting - it's just a fact - that's all. I would have a better chance of enticing a girl by saying 'Excuse me, but did you know that there have een 776 Nobel Prize winners up until now?'.

How interesting Pratik. Would you like a drink? How about coffee at mine?

:eek:

:rofl:

And it is 777. There's a secret just for me. It is the Nobel Prize for pwning people :wink:
Reply 34
Angel Interceptor
See, something interesting to say - saying 'I go to LSE' is hardly interesting - it's just a fact - that's all. I would have a better chance of enticing a girl by saying 'Excuse me, but did you know that there have been 776 Nobel Prize winners up until now?'.

haha man - you use that? oh no dude, don't do that - seriously man, seriously.
President_Ben
How interesting Pratik. Would you like a drink? How about coffee at mine?

:eek:

:rofl:

And it is 777. There's a secret just for me. It is the Nobel Prize for pwning people :wink:

Quite. No thank you, I'm not parched. Nah, I'm going to go to bed.

I never realised that saying something so staid would ever garner me so much attention! :p:

A secret just for you? That you've just told people? My, there seem to be a couple of flaws in your logic on that one. :wink:

And anyhows, if there was a Nobel Prize for pwning people, then it would undoubtedly belong to me. End of, Mr no-sex-in-the-library! :wink:
Reply 36
President_Ben
Bit old for cheapskates aren't you!! :eek:

I'm a second year and feel ancient. Nevermind postgrad (which you are, I think)

I've done my fair share of social experimentation in all kinds of collaborated ways. As someone in a stable and looking increasingly long-term relationship, doing such things now would probably be a bad idea. Walls have ears you know.

I used to work as a bartender there - it's sketch on some nights for sure, but a lot of postgrads do make it out - that being said, I have been there since the first weeks of term - it's pretty sketch for sure I do agree.
Hi Im skeletal and enormous.
Reply 38
Angel Interceptor
Yes, I'm sure that some girls are attracted to smart men, however I think a decent intellect would come across better in conversation - if a girl liked me purely because they assumed that I was smart because of dropping the name of my university, then I would be quite frankly appalled.

But wouldnt it just come naturally in a conversation...ie i would be interested in knowing what the guy does by asking "so what do you do?", ie studying? getting pissed? working? Then hopefully that gets the conversation going..

and besides being smart and going to LSE is definitely a turn on for me :p: :wink:
Reply 39
rboogie
Um, I disagree - I think girls are looking for a stable, intelligent person - I think the LSE seems to convey that - I don't openly reveal that information, but I think the response when I say it has been very positive - that's just my experience - it may be incorrect, but I can't really explain it.

i'm a bit bias...but UCL is known as a more "en vogue" university that has an amazing social life coupled with excellent academics. LSE is known solely for its acedemics and its world class reputation. Woman pick and choose and most of the time i think they would pick the former.

*sorry to turn this into a UCl vs. LSE debate but it's just my oppinion :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending