The Student Room Group

hard exponential integration area under curve a2

Please can someone who is really good at maths/ explaining stuff please help. It looks really messy the way I've set it out but trust once you start reading its easy to follow.

Appreciate it so much to anyone that helps. :smile:

Please see attatched (oh please don't make it really complicated as my head is already hurts lol)

The very first attatchment outlines the exact place I'm stuggling with however its quite busy! to say the least lol so I've uploaded the question and mark scheme so you can get your head around the situation and then refer back to the very first one to see what I was stuggling with :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CasualSoul
Please can someone who is really good at maths/ explaining stuff please help. It looks really messy the way I've set it out but trust once you start reading its easy to follow.

Please see attatched (oh please don't make it really complicated as my head is already hurts lol)

dat text o.o
Reply 2
Original post by boner in jeans
dat text o.o

Original post by Haesights
It might be my eyes but the text is too small to read- can you just type out the question?

Wow I was gonna say that was fast reply LOl. If you click on the attatchment it comes up and appears sall but if you click again a little magnifying glass sshould come up and then if you click again it magnified it to the size you want. Does that work?
Reply 3
dat text o.o

It might be my eyes but the text is too small to read- can you just type out the question?

Wow I was gonna say that was fast reply LOL. If you click on the attachment it comes up. If you click again it opens in a new window and then if you click again a little magnifying glass should come up and then if you click again it magnifies it to the size you want. Does that work?
(edited 11 years ago)
Wow I was gonna say that was fast reply LOL. If you click on the attachment it comes up. If you click again it opens in a new window and then if you click again a little magnifying glass should come up and then if you click again it magnifies it to the size you want. Does that work?

wish you told me that before I did the impossible and read that tiny text :smug:

OP, sorry, but could you post the link to the full question? in the midst of your working and the sketch and the random bits and bobs, i'm getting kind of confused
Reply 5
wish you told me that before I did the impossible and read that tiny text :smug:

OP, sorry, but could you post the link to the full question? in the midst of your working and the sketch and the random bits and bobs, i'm getting kind of confused

So am I.. what part of the question are you stuck on exactly? You've made so many annotations I'm not quite sure where to start!

I was trying to make it easier lol :colondollar: but yeah you're right. Gimme a sec and I'll upload the whole question and the answer
I was trying to make it easier lol :colondollar: but yeah you're right. Gimme a sec and I'll upload the whole question and the answer

If you look at the graph of f and g sideways, i.e. with the y-axis as the new x-axis and the x-axis as the new y-axis, then can you see anything similar about the two functions, in terms of the area below the graphs? EDIT: And their shapes.

I mean like this: 30wwpjd.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

I think the key thing you need to understand/remember here is that the inverse of the function is a reflection about the line y=x, hence you have symmetry. So the area bounded by f(x) and y=0 from 0 to ln2, is equal to the area bounded by g(x), x=0 and y=ln2. The image below might help reinforce what I've said. The green and blue areas are identical, the red is what the question asks you to calculate.

(Also, it may help if you look at the curve g(x), and rotate the axes by 90º anti-clockwise, then flip horizontally. The curve should look like f(x). You can then deduce the relevant areas from there.)
(edited 11 years ago)

get what you're asking now and dark lord's right :smug:

OP, what do you know about functions and their inverses? the inverse is the reflection of the function on the line y = x

now as the integral of f(x) from 0 to ln2 (the area between f(x) and the x-axis and the line x = ln2) is the same as the area between g(x) and the y-axis from 0 to ln2 on the y-axis (and the corresponding x-coordinate of ln2 on g(x) is x = 1, the same thing you're finding the area of)

and since you have the area of the rectangle, the area between g(x) and the y-axis from 0 to ln2, you have the area between g(x) and the x-axis from 0 to 1 by subtracting them, which is what the m.s. did
Reply 9
Original post by F1Addict
I think the key thing you need to understand/remember here is that the inverse of the function is a reflection about the line y=x, hence you have symmetry. So the area bounded by f(x) and y=0 from 0 to ln2, is equal to the area bounded by g(x), x=0 and y=ln2. The image below might help reinforce what I've said. The green and blue areas are identical, the red is what the question asks you to calculate.

(Also, it may help if you look at the curve g(x), and rotate the axes by 90º anti-clockwise, then flip horizontally. The curve should look like f(x). You can then deduce the relevant areas from there.)

get what you're asking now and dark lord's right :smug:

OP, what do you know about functions and their inverses? the inverse is the reflection of the function on the line y = x

now as the integral of f(x) from 0 to ln2 (the area between f(x) and the x-axis and the line x = ln2) is the same as the area between g(x) and the y-axis from 0 to ln2 on the y-axis (and the corresponding x-coordinate of ln2 on g(x) is x = 1, the same thing you're finding the area of)

and since you have the area of the rectangle, the area between g(x) and the y-axis from 0 to ln2, you have the area between g(x) and the x-axis from 0 to 1 by subtracting them, which is what the m.s. did

Get itnow! Thanks (rep for u both) :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Get itnow! Thanks :biggrin:

no problem sweet cheeks :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest