The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

With my GCSEs can I get into LSE?

I'm going to be finishing my GCSEs in 2013.

The truth is I've been slacking terribly during the course of my GCSEs and well, I've f'd them up. What I'm predicted to get will be:

A/A* Economics (1 year course, don't even know what a test looks like yet).
A* Maths
A* English Lit
A* Religious Studies
A/A* Physics
A English Lang
A History
A PE
A IT
A/B Business Studies (****ey teacher, yes I can blame the teacher if we aren't taught the correct syllabus and not taught how to answer the test papers).
B Chemistry
B Biology
C/D French
D/E Product Design (Didn't do any coursework)

The point is I could've got pretty much everything A* if I did any sort of revision/homework/coursework (maybe not in French :frown:).

I'm going to be taking: Further Maths & Maths / Economics / English Lit.
I won't drop any of them. I aim to pick up my game during the A levels (and the remainder of my GCSE). I've been told further maths is a challenging but fun for some A level, especially if you found maths @ GCSE extremely easy as I have done (and we've started some of the A level course and I've found it fairly straight forwards). Economics I've been told is more interesting @ A level, and hopefully I'll get a new teacher seeing as my current one is a machine who bores me to death (hate his method of teaching seeing as he has no interaction with the students and literally reads the textbook to us). I'm taking English Lit because I'm guessing that not many people who go to LSE (to take maths or economics) will have an English Lit A level, and it will hopefully give me more unique qualities when searching for a job.

So if I end up with 2 A*s in Maths A level, an A* in Economics, maybe not in English Lit, but in those 3, will I have a shot of going to LSE to do some sort of higher maths, or an economics course?

If not, what route do you reckon I should take?

Thanks in advance.

Brook x
Reply 1
Well the truth of the matter is that most people at the LSE in the more competitive courses (Economics, Law, Accounting and Finance, etc.) have a string of As and A*s at their GCSEs. There's nothing you can do about your situation now except hope that your Bs and Cs are greatly limited.

Work on your A-Levels. Try and get some work experience somehow and make sure your recommendation and PS is amazing beyond compare and you should have a chance. Remember that with the top Unis, it's always an uphill battle no matter where you start from.

Best of luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Broooook
I'm going to be finishing my GCSEs in 2013.

The truth is I've been slacking terribly during the course of my GCSEs and well, I've f'd them up. What I'm predicted to get will be:

A/A* Economics (1 year course, don't even know what a test looks like yet).
A* Maths
A* English Lit
A* Religious Studies
A/A* Physics
A English Lang
A History
A PE
A IT
A/B Business Studies (****ey teacher, yes I can blame the teacher if we aren't taught the correct syllabus and not taught how to answer the test papers).
B Chemistry
B Biology
C/D French
D/E Product Design (Didn't do any coursework)

The point is I could've got pretty much everything A* if I did any sort of revision/homework/coursework (maybe not in French :frown:).

I'm going to be taking: Further Maths & Maths / Economics / English Lit.
I won't drop any of them. I aim to pick up my game during the A levels (and the remainder of my GCSE). I've been told further maths is a challenging but fun for some A level, especially if you found maths @ GCSE extremely easy as I have done (and we've started some of the A level course and I've found it fairly straight forwards). Economics I've been told is more interesting @ A level, and hopefully I'll get a new teacher seeing as my current one is a machine who bores me to death (hate his method of teaching seeing as he has no interaction with the students and literally reads the textbook to us). I'm taking English Lit because I'm guessing that not many people who go to LSE (to take maths or economics) will have an English Lit A level, and it will hopefully give me more unique qualities when searching for a job.

So if I end up with 2 A*s in Maths A level, an A* in Economics, maybe not in English Lit, but in those 3, will I have a shot of going to LSE to do some sort of higher maths, or an economics course?

If not, what route do you reckon I should take?

Thanks in advance.

Brook x

Read through my post named 'misconceptions about LSE - current student'. Should answer your question...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending