The Student Room Group

Bed Tax: Victims of Cuts? Social Cleansing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kibalchich
You haven't made an argument. You made a stupid statement. I then posted one consequence of your position. If you were burning in front of me, screaming in pain, begging for someone to save you, I wouldn't even waste my p*ss on you.

Except of course, I would. Because I'm not a pscyhopath. I'd do everything in my power to save your life. That has nothing to do with childish notions of "duty" or "voluntary agreements" or even the fact that I'm training to be a nurse. Its out of basic human empathy. Something which you appear to lack. Now, that's either a pathetic affectation or you're a genuine psychopath.

'Anyone who disagrees with my point of view is a psychopath' is an argument so valueless that it deserves no response.
Reply 21
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
'Anyone who disagrees with my point of view is a psychopath' is an argument so valueless that it deserves no response.

No, that's not what I said. Try again.
No, that's not what I said. Try again.

It plainly is.
Original post by L i b
alternatively they would be expected to pay it out of their existing disability benefits.

They're already taken by social services to pay for social care. Contrary to what most people think, benefits aren't an awful lot and don't cover everything. Some people will also have to pay for their council tax out of benefits. So what exactly do they live on?
My family are going to be subject to this bedroom tax. (Since my sister moved out we now have an extra teeny tiny box room upstairs which could only fit a single bed and a small chest of drawers). We've decided to just pay it as we refuse to move. I've lived in this house for 14 years and we have spent thousands over the years decorating and improving it. Couple of extra pounds out of my wages are worth less to me than my home.
Reply 25
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
lol.

I presented a philosophical argument.

You did nothing of the sort.

Ignore him, he's a troll.
Original post by Iron Lady
Ignore him, he's a troll.

It had became quite obvious I was wasting my time, hadn't it?
Reply 27
It's not a bed tax, it's refusing to subsidise luxury. And if only luxury is available, then either forcing them to share it, or to pay back the extra.
Reply 28
Original post by Hopple
It's not a bed tax, it's refusing to subsidise luxury. And if only luxury is available, then either forcing them to share it, or to pay back the extra.

Luxury? What luxury is that?
Reply 29
Luxury? What luxury is that?

A spare room at the taxpayer's expense.
Reply 30
As somebody who's parents will actually be affected by this i have mixed feelings.

On the one hand we were fortunate 12 and a half years ago that we were able to move from a council estate to a 90% private area with a few council houses scattered around, this is experiencing is something that has defined my view that grouping the poor together on a council estate is an absolutely idiotic policy when trying foster an environment of aspiration.

On the other however, the fact is that i moved out in September 2011 and whilst i did stay over the summer, i could have really gotten a job beforehand and just extended my student accommodation contract. As a result of this, one bedroom just sits empty for the large part that i am not there and i can understand that charging £15 per week is i actually think a reasonable price.

As a result of this, as much as this policy is not ideal (my parents have decided to get another council house), in terms of providing housing i think its a good policy, especially since its not forcing you to move but charging a reasonable rate.
Reply 31
Original post by Hopple
A spare room at the taxpayer's expense.

Why do you think it is at the taxpayer's expense? Why is a spare room "luxury"?
Reply 32
Original post by Rakas21
As somebody who's parents will actually be affected by this i have mixed feelings.

On the one hand we were fortunate 12 and a half years ago that we were able to move from a council estate to a 90% private area with a few council houses scattered around, this is experiencing is something that has defined my view that grouping the poor together on a council estate is an absolutely idiotic policy when trying foster an environment of aspiration.

On the other however, the fact is that i moved out in September 2011 and whilst i did stay over the summer, i could have really gotten a job beforehand and just extended my student accommodation contract. As a result of this, one bedroom just sits empty for the large part that i am not there and i can understand that charging £15 per week is i actually think a reasonable price.

As a result of this, as much as this policy is not ideal (my parents have decided to get another council house), in terms of providing housing i think its a good policy, especially since its not forcing you to move but charging a reasonable rate.

A reasonable rate if working on an OK wage.
Reply 33
Why do you think it is at the taxpayer's expense? Why is a spare room "luxury"?

These are social housing tenants whose rent/housing benefit is subsidised by the taxpayer. How is a spare room not a luxury? You certainly don't need one.
Reply 34
Original post by Hopple
These are social housing tenants whose rent/housing benefit is subsidised by the taxpayer. How is a spare room not a luxury? You certainly don't need one.

Social housing is not subsidised. And if you think a spare room is "luxury", you ought to get out more!
Social housing is not subsidised. And if you think a spare room is "luxury", you ought to get out more!

What world are you living in?
Reply 36
A reasonable rate if working on an OK wage.

No, i think a lot of people on benefits like my parents could make nessesary cutbacks (i'll exempt those with young children because the child benefit is'nt enough).

Whilst my parents have decided that they would rather maintain their current lifestyle they could probably cut £15 just off shopping and thats before considering what a rip off sky is when i sit here streaming for free and on top of that electricity and gas cutbacks could certainly be made.

This may require a reigning in of finances but then you have a choice of the extra room or the upgraded Sky package.
Reply 37
Do you know what social housing is? And okay, a spare room isn't caviar and champagne luxury, but you not having one isn't something the state should care about.
A spare isn't that much a luxury. For some people, they need it.

Where are all these smaller houses then? Oh I forgot, there aren't any. You can't just move either - that costs money.

Some of you have no idea what you're talking about. You've never been in the situation where you've been on benefits and are struggling to find the money to pay the rest of your rent every single week.
Reply 39
Original post by OU Student
A spare isn't that much a luxury. For some people, they need it.

Where are all these smaller houses then? Oh I forgot, there aren't any. You can't just move either - that costs money.

Some of you have no idea what you're talking about. You've never been in the situation where you've been on benefits and are struggling to find the money to pay the rest of your rent every single week.

How do you define 'spare' then? The odd spina bifida patient aside, the rules in the article don't seem unreasonable for people needing to claim money from the government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending