The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by awilson008
Hello people! This shall be an interesting exam. There's a lot to cover but with enough time and quality revision we can get the grades we want :smile:

Gonna' make a start on this today and try to cover most of electric and magnetic fields.

Hey mate,

Surprisingly takes longer than I thought to do the questions, (errr well I have taken a large number of breaks today...:confused:)

Make sure to do all the Practice Questions and Exam Questions. I still have 5 more questions to do from Mod 1 - the exam questions 2.... Great practice though I guess. So glad people told me to stop reading and start doing questions.

I realized I did no Exam Style Questions from the book for Physics Unit 4 even though there are loads... 0_o

Argh I was supposed to go through all the Capacitors questions today too.... oh well
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Better
Hey mate,

Surprisingly takes longer than I thought to do the questions, (errr well I have taken a large number of breaks today...:confused:)

Make sure to do all the Practice Questions and Exam Questions. I still have 5 more questions to do from Mod 1 - the exam questions 2.... Great practice though I guess. So glad people told me to stop reading and start doing questions.

I realized I did no Exam Style Questions from the book for Physics Unit 4 even though there are loads... 0_o

Argh I was supposed to go through all the Capacitors questions today too.... oh well

Yeah it's best to do a wide range of question styles!

With physics it definitely is better to practice than just 'revise'. Although don't worry about getting all of these questions done straight away, it's best to do them over a longer period of time so they stay fresh in your head during the exam period :smile:
Reply 22

With physics it definitely is better to practice than just 'revise'. Although don't worry about getting all of these questions done straight away, it's best to do them over a longer period of time so they stay fresh in your head during the exam period :smile:

Ah kk yeah thanks good shout!

I just never knew before, I feel so stupid but its better I found out 2 Months before exams than on Results day!!! Now I can do something about it!! Currently on AAAA D(unit 4-retaking) Unit 5 pending........

Half-term lets do this!

AS I was able to get away with such poor Exam Technique, but A2 builds on AS so much that my poor exam technique was exposed this January!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Lilmzbest
There are past OCR papers called 'Nuclear and Particle Physics', 'Health Physics' and 'Cosmology' that seem to have a lot of questions relevant to the last 3 topics in the G485 exam (i've only flicked through them briefly though) so have a look for those :smile:

Let me know if you need them, i've got quite a few but no idea where on my computer they are so it'll take a bit of hunting around :tongue:

Ooh okay thank you so much. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by LeaX
Ooh okay thank you so much. :smile:

No probs :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Better

AS I was able to get away with such poor Exam Technique, but A2 builds on AS so much that my poor exam technique was exposed this January!!

Lol my problem exactly, i'm fine with all my other subjects (chem, maths, further maths) but physics i just don't get :confused: ....i bluffed an A at AS but got a D in this exam in jan....it was awkward though because i totally came out of the exam thinking i'd get a B :colondollar:

I dunno about doing the exam questions in the book though, the unit 4 ones seem relevant but the unit 5 ones have all these answers that i don't think you need to know for the exam ... or maybe i should know them? ...that would explain why i failed :tongue:
Reply 26
Lol my problem exactly, i'm fine with all my other subjects (chem, maths, further maths) but physics i just don't get :confused: ....i bluffed an A at AS but got a D in this exam in jan....it was awkward though because i totally came out of the exam thinking i'd get a B :colondollar:

I dunno about doing the exam questions in the book though, the unit 4 ones seem relevant but the unit 5 ones have all these answers that i don't think you need to know for the exam ... or maybe i should know them? ...that would explain why i failed :tongue:

Haha, we are doing the same subjects except you are superior as you are doing further maths.

It seems like we have offers from the same Uni's too :/ :/ Crazy

I'll drop you a note on your wall

Btw need help guys:

Question 3 Part e - 2.1 Examination Questions 1 - Module 1 - Page 120 in the book.

Got the rest of it but if anyone can help me on part E that would be handy please
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Better
Haha, we are doing the same subjects except you are superior as you are doing further maths.

It seems like we have offers from the same Uni's too :/ :/ Crazy

I'll drop you a note on your wall

Lol not sure it makes me superior, just stupid for attempting too much at once :tongue:

I feel like i should be weirded out that you know what offers i have :colondollar: but i'm not :smile:
Reply 28

Nah trust me go through them all. My Teacher just set a Unit 5 Mod 1 and Mod 2 Test which I got a D in on Wednesday - it was only based on the current Spec Questions.

If I had done these Exam Style questions from the book I literally would have killed it, the same questions come up over and over -

its not hard when you know that if you have Electric/Magnetic Fields Question you will probably end up having to look at something to do with Circular motion / Resultant Forces / Work Done to move a particle.

Hopefully I will feel this same way about all the Topics by the end of Unit 5

I am making Question Sheets as I go along which I can share with you later on
Reply 29
Could someone please help me with question 5. I missed the lesson on this module and I just can't get the same answer as the book. :colondollar:

The answer for question two is 0.66N.

Thank you so much. :smile:

physics.jpg
Reply 30
Original post by Better
Nah trust me go through them all. My Teacher just set a Unit 5 Mod 1 and Mod 2 Test which I got a D in on Wednesday - it was only based on the current Spec Questions.

If I had done these Exam Style questions from the book I literally would have killed it, the same questions come up over and over -

its not hard when you know that if you have Electric/Magnetic Fields Question you will probably end up having to look at something to do with Circular motion / Resultant Forces / Work Done to move a particle.

Hopefully I will feel this same way about all the Topics by the end of Unit 5

I am making Question Sheets as I go along which I can share with you later on

I think the problem was that i only looked at them about a week before the exam so panicked and just convinced myself i shouldn't know stuff :tongue:

I'm doing all the questions in the book this time so will hopefully be super prepared by the exam :smile:

Question sheets sound good, let me know when you're done, i'm always up for extra practice :smile: btw have you checked out the worksheets linked in the first post in this thread? i think they're great for practicing as well :biggrin:
Reply 31
I think the problem was that i only looked at them about a week before the exam so panicked and just convinced myself i shouldn't know stuff :tongue:

I'm doing all the questions in the book this time so will hopefully be super prepared by the exam :smile:

Question sheets sound good, let me know when you're done, i'm always up for extra practice :smile: btw have you checked out the worksheets linked in the first post in this thread? i think they're great for practicing as well :biggrin:

Ironically I made the thread but I haven't looked at everything on it, basically copied and pasted it from last year thanks for the heads up
Reply 32
Original post by LeaX
Could someone please help me with question 5. I missed the lesson on this module and I just can't get the same answer as the book. :colondollar:

physics.jpg
:confused:

I'm so confused, your school must have different books to
me:confused:
Reply 33
Original post by Better
Ironically I made the thread but I haven't looked at everything on it, basically copied and pasted it from last year thanks for the heads up

So you did! lol i'm ridiculousy unobervant at times :colondollar: i mean the second link under the heading 'powerpoints and worksheets' :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Better
:confused:

I'm so confused, your school must have different books to
me:confused:

My school doesn't use any textbooks lol. That question is just from a revision guide I got from Amazon.
Reply 35
Original post by LeaX

physics.jpg

My book's upstairs and i'm lazy so cba to walk all the way there :tongue: but isn't there a formula for calculating radius? r = (mv^2)/F
Reply 36
Original post by LeaX
My school doesn't use any textbooks lol. That question is just from a revision guide I got from Amazon.

Ohh no worries - I normally just look at the datasheet for questions like this. The equation given is F=BILSinθ. I personally have it printed

Here you go:

F = BILsinθ
F = (80x10-3) x (2) x (5)sin55
F = 0.655....

You choose 55 and not the other angle because you you are looking at the Vertical Area that is cut. I.e. the Vertical Component of the Wire hence the need for trig (or sin)

But you always do it to Sig Fig quoted in the Question which is normally 2s.f for OCR

So F=0.66N
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi guys,

Thanks for making the thread, I think the G484 thread on here was the only reason I managed to get an A (only just, 72UMS!) Will have a look through the resources tomorrow :smile:

Question for people doing this exam for the first time, how far through the content are you? We've done most of module 1 (or possibly all of it, I've missed a few lessons), about half of module 2, all of module 3 and that's it. None of 4 or 5. Just wanted to see if we're behind?

Reply 38
Original post by hrbrox
Hi guys,

Thanks for making the thread, I think the G484 thread on here was the only reason I managed to get an A (only just, 72UMS!) Will have a look through the resources tomorrow :smile:

Question for people doing this exam for the first time, how far through the content are you? We've done most of module 1 (or possibly all of it, I've missed a few lessons), about half of module 2, all of module 3 and that's it. None of 4 or 5. Just wanted to see if we're behind?

All of Module 3................... Wow. I have catch up to do. Don't worry Module 2 is like the thinnest one.

We've done 1 and 2...... I need to step my game up. I'll aim to have Module 1---4 and Questions done by end of Sunday or so next week

A in G484... Great work mate! I thought I did okay, that exam actually slapped me across the face.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Better
All of Module 3................... Wow. I have catch up to do. Don't worry Module 2 is like the thinnest one.

We've done 1 and 2...... I need to step my game up. I'll aim to have Module 1---4 and Questions done by end of Sunday or so next week

A in G484... Great work mate! I thought I did okay, that exam actually slapped me across the face.

I have 2 teachers and 9 lessons over a fortnight, 5 with one 4 with the other. We did Module 3 with the teacher I have 5 lessons with so we've spent more time on it. We did a module test on friday and I got an A so I'm happy with nuclear physics but I'm awful at anything to do with electricity, I can never make the practicals work :confused:

Think I might have a flick through module 4 and 5 in my revision guide before we go back so I understand the basics at least.

Latest

Trending

Trending