The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lilmzbest
My book's upstairs and i'm lazy so cba to walk all the way there :tongue: but isn't there a formula for calculating radius? r = (mv^2)/F

Yeah but we don't get given the velocity.

Original post by Better
Ohh no worries - I normally just look at the datasheet for questions like this. The equation given is F=BILSinθ. I personally have it printed

Here you go:

F = BILsinθ
F = (80x10-3) x (2) x (5)sin55
F = 0.655....

You choose 55 and not the other angle because you you are looking at the Vertical Area that is cut. I.e. the Vertical Component of the Wire hence the need for trig (or sin)

But you always do it to Sig Fig quoted in the Question which is normally 2s.f for OCR

So F=0.66N

Thank you but it was question 5 I was stuck on. :P
Reply 41
[QUOTE="LeaX;42033034"]Yeah but we don't get given the velocity.

Thank you but it was question 5 I was stuck on. :P[/QUOTE

I think its referring to question 3 because it mentions an electron? :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by LeaX

Thank you but it was question 5 I was stuck on. :P

Oh not sure if your still stuck. I'm in bed so can't really get to my calculator.....but I'm a nice guy

Edit: Got the values wrong, but the method here is right:

F=BQv
F=mv^2 / r

Equate and Cancel v's
Then re-arrange into r

simplifies to r= mv/BQ
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
[QUOTE="Lilmzbest;42033218"]
Original post by LeaX

Thank you but it was question 5 I was stuck on. :P[/QUOTE

I think its referring to question 3 because it mentions an electron? :smile:

Limzbest here is my "question sheet" for mod 1, you may/may not like it but it helps me revise quickly...

-The Highlighted Blue/Turquoise means Equations that are in the Datasheet
-The baby blue highlight means Definitions I know
-Then the Describe bit is for Practicals/Theory that will be part of the longer wordy questions

If I can do that for Each Module after I've done book questions I THINK I should do well.

For notes, I'm not making any notes or definitions anymore, as people made them last year, so just using their documents. Will do the same thing for Unit 4 but should take no time
Reply 44
Hi guys! There's loads of awesome stuff here already, so I feel a bit cheeky for asking, but does anybody has a list of the experiments we can be asked to describe in the exam?

Thanks.
Reply 45
Original post by leo99756
Hi guys! There's loads of awesome stuff here already, so I feel a bit cheeky for asking, but does anybody has a list of the experiments we can be asked to describe in the exam?

Thanks.

Here you go mate, yeah there are alot of attachments so takes to filter through

Essay Type Questions - G485.pdf (73.4 KB, 17 views)

Good thing you mentioned it, I might print these off now!
Reply 46
Original post by Better
Here you go mate, yeah there are alot of attachments so takes to filter through

Essay Type Questions - G485.pdf (73.4 KB, 17 views)

Good thing you mentioned it, I might print these off now!

Thanks a bunch :biggrin:.
Reply 47
Just flicked through a past paper, I can't remember anything at all... Im so screwed..
Reply 48
Hi, does anybody know if we have to remember the value for Astronomical Units and for Parsecs because I can't see them in the formula booklet?
It only seems to have the value for a light year.

EDIT: Actually I found in the specification that we are expected to 'state the approximate magnitudes in metres, of the parsec and light-year'
Still don't know about AU though, I guess we'll just have to remember it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Hey, where are you guys up to in your classes and revision? We're up to nuclear fission and fusion in class and I've managed to revise up to there this week but I'm not sure if I should get ahead of my class or just spend more time on the chapters we've already covered.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by LeaX
Hey, where are you guys up to in your classes and revision? We're up to nuclear fission and fusion in class and I've managed to revise up to there this week but I'm not sure if I should get ahead of my class or just spend more time on the chapters we've already covered.

We finished just before Easter although we spent very little time on the medical bits (x-rays, diagnostic methods & ultrasound).
Nearly finished making revision cards for everything now though.
Original post by LeaX

We had one lesson on Medical Physics before we broke up and halfway through Electric and Magnetic Fields, but I've finished the book twice over so that when I go back it will only really be revision, and very little new stuff. It's better to know it in advance, because then your brain starts making new connections, which then ultimately make it easier to remember.
Reply 52
Original post by GeorgeL3
We finished just before Easter although we spent very little time on the medical bits (x-rays, diagnostic methods & ultrasound).
Nearly finished making revision cards for everything now though.

Original post by Rhodopsin94
We had one lesson on Medical Physics before we broke up and halfway through Electric and Magnetic Fields, but I've finished the book twice over so that when I go back it will only really be revision, and very little new stuff. It's better to know it in advance, because then your brain starts making new connections, which then ultimately make it easier to remember.

Oh god now I feel really behind haha. Thank you both for replying. :smile: Rhodopsin94, I like the idea of going ahead so class work turns into revision - such a good idea. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by LeaX
Oh god now I feel really behind haha. Thank you both for replying. :smile: Rhodopsin94, I like the idea of going ahead so class work turns into revision - such a good idea. Thanks. :smile:

No problem, once you read over something 3 or 4 times, you start to remember things already stored in your mind, and find a new way of trying to remember what you're revising. I did it for the last biology exam, F214, and I was so far ahead, that I knew the book inside out by the exam, and got 98% (you can bet I was happy with that) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
No problem, once you read over something 3 or 4 times, you start to remember things already stored in your mind, and find a new way of trying to remember what you're revising. I did it for the last biology exam, F214, and I was so far ahead, that I knew the book inside out by the exam, and got 98% (you can bet I was happy with that) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

98% not sure if srs, or not sure if God of studying.....

What did you get in Physics 4 and any tips?

Yeah all of you guys are waaaaay ahead. I really need to pick my game up in Physics.

My class has pretty much been like this all year....

[video="youtube;YXS2_2_IffQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXS2_2_IffQ[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow that's such a good way of doing things haha. May I ask what your revision techniques are for physics and biology? Do you just read the book? Or do you make notes too? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by LeaX
Oh wow that's such a good way of doing things haha. May I ask what your revision techniques are for physics and biology? Do you just read the book? Or do you make notes too? Thanks. :smile:

Well I mainly just read the book until a month or so before the exam, because I find that way gets it into my head best, but I always read other (reliable) text books as well at the same time, as this reinforces it better. For example, I'm reading 'Medical Physics' by Jean A Pope which supports radioactivity on it's own and with respect to medical physics, and mainly x rays (as it's name suggests). I got that from the library. I find revision guides are only good for reinforcing something from the book, as that is what the exam will be based on.
I have to admit I have photographic memory, which probably helps to an extent, and that's only any good to you if you have it. As for notes, yes, I often write out definitions several times on scrap paper and that helps. Another thing I do, is to fold an A4 piece of paper into 32 (small I know), and then write a prompt on one side, say e.m.f, then on the reverse write the definition or whatever I want to remember. Then I randomly point at the prompt side, and which ever box my finger lands on, I have to recall what's on the other side, it takes a while, but I found it bet effective for G482 ( if you land on the same box three times in a row it doesn't matter). And finally, my revision is concentrated. As in I don't do one hour biology, one hour physics, then do the same the next day. I cover a whole module (depending on how big) reading each spread twice, and keep my mind solely focussed on what I'm doing, because biology then physics don't support each other.

That was a lot longer than I expected, but I hope some of it helps at least :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Well I mainly just read the book until a month or so before the exam, because I find that way gets it into my head best, but I always read other (reliable) text books as well at the same time, as this reinforces it better. For example, I'm reading 'Medical Physics' by Jean A Pope which supports radioactivity on it's own and with respect to medical physics, and mainly x rays (as it's name suggests). I got that from the library. I find revision guides are only good for reinforcing something from the book, as that is what the exam will be based on.
I have to admit I have photographic memory, which probably helps to an extent, and that's only any good to you if you have it. As for notes, yes, I often write out definitions several times on scrap paper and that helps. Another thing I do, is to fold an A4 piece of paper into 32 (small I know), and then write a prompt on one side, say e.m.f, then on the reverse write the definition or whatever I want to remember. Then I randomly point at the prompt side, and which ever box my finger lands on, I have to recall what's on the other side, it takes a while, but I found it bet effective for G482 ( if you land on the same box three times in a row it doesn't matter). And finally, my revision is concentrated. As in I don't do one hour biology, one hour physics, then do the same the next day. I cover a whole module (depending on how big) reading each spread twice, and keep my mind solely focussed on what I'm doing, because biology then physics don't support each other.

That was a lot longer than I expected, but I hope some of it helps at least :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I repeat - not sure if serious or god of exams.

Didn't you do any Questions at all. Revision isn't really a problem for me or getting the material into my head.But I still got a D in January on Unit 4. And a B (80% Raw Marks) on Chem 4.

Your method pretty much contradicts everything each TSR Geek as told me. And I asked ALOT. Like over 10 people who score straight 100UMS they just told me Material is like 10% of the work 90% of it is Questions and finding what you don't get from questions.

Right now I am so so so confused. You must be some freak of nature!!!
Original post by Better
I repeat - not sure if serious or god of exams.

Didn't you do any Questions at all. Revision isn't really a problem for me or getting the material into my head.But I still got a D in January on Unit 4. And a B (80% Raw Marks) on Chem 4.

Your method pretty much contradicts everything each TSR Geek as told me. And I asked ALOT. Like over 10 people who score straight 100UMS they just told me Material is like 10% of the work 90% of it is Questions and finding what you don't get from questions.

Right now I am so so so confused. You must be some freak of nature!!!

Hey sorry, didn't see your post. Well I was surprised too, I knew I'd done well but didn't think THAT good...
With me it's slightly different because I'm autistic (only mild aspergers but sufficient so it would seem) and I have synaesthesia, which basically gives me a brilliant memory. In view of that, my techniques may only fit me (or someone like me) so that might explain it. Yes, actually, I wrote so much I forgot to mention my main technique (in the weeks just before exam) which is to revise for a day for a past paper, take it under exam conditions the next day, and mark it as strictly as possible, then write out everything I got wrong on a separate piece of paper, and revise specifically that stuff. The next day I repeat the process and revise again etc. as for other questions, they really do matter, and try not to fall into the habit I do, which is see a question I don't want to answer, and then think nahh and skip it. If you don't know it before the exam, you're not likely to know it in the exam, so it s the things you don't like which you really need to revise.

unfortunately I'm not a god, because for G484 I scraped a C (not too good at all given I need an A...), but that's because I focussed too hard on biology and missed out on physics (explaining my 98% probably but if I meet my predicted A* for biology then maybe I can get away with a B for physics.
Reply 59
Hey sorry, didn't see your post. Well I was surprised too, I knew I'd done well but didn't think THAT good...
With me it's slightly different because I'm autistic (only mild aspergers but sufficient so it would seem) and I have synaesthesia, which basically gives me a brilliant memory. In view of that, my techniques may only fit me (or someone like me) so that might explain it. Yes, actually, I wrote so much I forgot to mention my main technique (in the weeks just before exam) which is to revise for a day for a past paper, take it under exam conditions the next day, and mark it as strictly as possible, then write out everything I got wrong on a separate piece of paper, and revise specifically that stuff. The next day I repeat the process and revise again etc. as for other questions, they really do matter, and try not to fall into the habit I do, which is see a question I don't want to answer, and then think nahh and skip it. If you don't know it before the exam, you're not likely to know it in the exam, so it s the things you don't like which you really need to revise.

unfortunately I'm not a god, because for G484 I scraped a C (not too good at all given I need an A...), but that's because I focussed too hard on biology and missed out on physics (explaining my 98% probably but if I meet my predicted A* for biology then maybe I can get away with a B for physics.

Ah I see cheers my man! Yeah glad you mentioned the past paper thing a few weeks before.

Nah you are a beast ! Strong strong effort mate keep it up

Latest

Trending

Trending