The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stickyelmo
I only got the mark scheme. :<mark scheme evolution.jpg

Thanks, where did you get that from ? The long answer questions are the worst just can't seem to nail them.
Original post by John Dogg
Can anyone give me a model answer for the evolution of the universe ? Would be ever so grateful

Sea of quarks and leptons.
Quarks combine to form hadrons.
Hydrogen and helium nuclei form as well as electrons and photons.
Matter and radiation separate which is origin of background radiation.
Atoms form, gravity causes stars and planets to form, and microwave background radiation cools.
Original post by Stickyelmo
v=(hubble constant)*x
45000000/ (65000/(1x10^6*3.1x10^16) = x
x = 2.15x10^25 m

Thats what I got.

so which one is hubbles constant?
Original post by John Dogg
Thanks, where did you get that from ? The long answer questions are the worst just can't seem to nail them.

June 2012 That has like 3 essay questions in lol.
(65000/(1x10^6*3.1x10^16) this part.
so 65000 = 65km
and its per Mega parsec so you divide by Mega (1x10^6) and times the mega by a parsec.

You need to convert the 65 into meters. Look at the units and it will show you how to do it.

Original post by patterson
so which one is hubbles constant?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eggfriedrice
Is this correct for when a star dies;
The outer layers expand and the star becomes a red giant. Then the core shrinks and collapses and becomes a white dwarf?

When the star starts to run out of hydrogen to fuse, gravity overcomes radiation pressure. The star starts to collapse which increases the pressure in the hydrogen shells around the core so they start fusing again. This increased radiation pressure causes the outer layers to expand into a red giant. The core continues to collapse, with stars < Chandrasekhar limit (1.3 solar masses) helium shell around the core fuses very quickly, the energy from this process blows off the outer shells leaving behind a white dwarf.
Edit: The white dwarf stops collapsing due to the electron degeneracy pressure (Fermi pressure) acting against gravity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chrisxstone
Use Hubble's law to work it out. V = Ho d where Ho = Hubble's constant. Speed of recession = 4.5x10^7 m/s
So,

distance = (4.5x10^7)/65x10^3 = 692.3 Mpc
1 Mpc = 10^6 x 3.1x10^16 = 3.1x10^22 m

Final distance in meters = 692.3 x 3.1x10^22 = 2.15x10^25 meters

so to find the distance you have divided the speed by the hubbles constant? but hubbles constant is 65kms^-1 mpc^-1? you divided it by 65000? where has the mpc^-1 gone?
(edited 10 years ago)
so to find the distance you have divided the speed by the hubbles constant? but bubbles constant is 65kms^-1 mpc^-1? you divided it by 65000?

That got the distance in megapersecs :smile: Then just you convert to meters
so to find the distance you have divided the speed by the hubbles constant? but hubbles constant is 65kms^-1 mpc^-1? you divided it by 65000? where has the mpc^-1 gone?

since it's 1/mpc^-1, the units just become mpc. Which, can be converted to meters with the data you are given
Reply 989
What do we need to know about nuclear waste?
When the star starts to run out of hydrogen to fuse, gravity overcomes radiation pressure. The star starts to collapse which increases the pressure in the hydrogen shells around the core so they start fusing again. This increased radiation pressure causes the outer layers to expand into a red giant. The core continues to collapse, with stars < Chandrasekhar limit (1.3 solar masses) helium shell around the core fuses very quickly, the energy from this process blows off the outer shells leaving behind a white dwarf.
Edit: The white dwarf stops collapsing due to the electron degeneracy pressure (Fermi pressure) acting against gravity.

So hydrogen runs out.
Gravitational pressure overcomes radiation pressure.
Star collapses increasing pressure so fusion starts again (but I thought the problem was that the hydrogen had run out and not that the pressure was decreasing).
Increased pressure causes outer layers to expand and surface area cools, forming a red giant.
When the core collapses, does the red giant disappear?
And the bit after the red giant up till the energy blowing off, I haven't learnt this. :s
I basically just know that the core collapses and becomes a white dwarf.
Do you think I'll need to learn about the chandrasekhar limit and Fermi pressure? ):
Original post by gwqr21

Just a long half life and it harms people via ionisation.
Reply 992
Perhaps it's worth noting that in every single past paper, Flemings right hand rule for generators has not come up once.
Original post by gwqr21

Nuclear waste is radioactive and can have a long half life so long term storage is needed.

If it has short half life then initial activity is high so more precautions needed when for the first period of storage until activi lowers.

If it has long half life then long term precautions needed.
Reply 994
Original post by Spheniscidae
For capacitors in series: the charge Q is the same across both capacitors (as effectively they are a single capacitor with a large plate separation). The PD is split between the capacitors according to their capacitance. So work out the charge of the capacitors first using Q=VC for the whole circuit, then work out the PD across a single capacitor by using V=Q/C for one capacitor.

For resistors in series, current I is the same for all the resistors, and PD is split according to resistance. So work out I for the whole circuit with I=V/R and then work out V for one resistor with V=IR.

In parallel, V is the same for resistors and capacitors as they are effectively all connected in series to the battery so there is the same PD across them all.

Hooe this helps!

Thanks for writing this up. I have a couple of questions about this if you don't mind:colondollar:.

In regard to the first bold bit of text: I am right in thinking that the Q used in the second equation is half of the Q found in the first?

With the second piece of bold text: the p.d. is split so that, if 6.0V is split across a 4.5ohm and a 1.5ohm, the 1.5ohm has 4.5V and the 4.5ohm has 1.5V?
Reply 995
I need to know the function of a.c generator in short so I can memorise.
Original post by eggfriedrice
So hydrogen runs out.
Gravitational pressure overcomes radiation pressure.
Star collapses increasing pressure so fusion starts again (but I thought the problem was that the hydrogen had run out and not that the pressure was decreasing).
Increased pressure causes outer layers to expand and surface area cools, forming a red giant.
When the core collapses, does the red giant disappear?
And the bit after the red giant up till the energy blowing off, I haven't learnt this. :s
I basically just know that the core collapses and becomes a white dwarf.
Do you think I'll need to learn about the chandrasekhar limit and Fermi pressure? ):

After hydrogen runs out, the collapse will increase the rate of fusion of all elements, including the small amount of hydrogen left, causing outer layers to expand to red giant.

In a red giant, the core is still collapsing, until large increase in rate of fusion of helium (helium flash) causes outer layers to be blown off, so then there is only the remnant white dwarf left so the star is no loner a red giant. :smile:
Original post by gwqr21

It gives off harmful ionizing radiation, long half life so dangerous for a long time.
Picked this up from the 2010 june mark scheme which also makes a good point.
- Material with large decay constant/ short half life have initial high activity hence precautions needed for initial period of disposal
- Material with small decay constant/ long half life activity will last for a long period hence need for long term disposal
Use Hubble's law to work it out. V = Ho d where Ho = Hubble's constant. Speed of recession = 4.5x10^7 m/s
So,

distance = (4.5x10^7)/65x10^3 = 692.3 Mpc
1 Mpc = 10^6 x 3.1x10^16 = 3.1x10^22 m

Final distance in meters = 692.3 x 3.1x10^22 = 2.15x10^25 meters

sorry but I still cannot picture this question on how to do it. you got the right answer but i just don't know how you done it. like why would you find the distance in mega parsecs first? are there steps you have to follow?
Reply 999
Original post by Namod
I need to know the function of a.c generator in short so I can memorise.

A coil of wire rotates in a magnetic field. The angle between the field and the normal to the cross-sectional area of the coil changes, and hence the magnetic flux linkage changes. This induces a current in the coil of wire, as explained by Faraday's law. It is A.C. because, as the coil rotates, the current travels a different direction through the wire.

The direction of the current in the wire can be determined using Fleming's right hand rule.

I hope this has helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending