The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Beliefs in society 5 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustDisturbia
Can someone help me? ive just freaked myself out, and into thinking im going to get a C because of this paper. question 1 and 3 went fine for me, question 2,cant really tell=/ . i got an A overall at AS [10marks over], so if i got a C in this paper and an A in the next one do you think id be ok to get atleast a B? someone ease my anxiety!lol

I got a B overall in AS, few marks under.

I got an A in the crime and deviance exam. To get a B I only had to get 6 UMs in the beliefs paper

You'll be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 781
[QUOTE="matthewhernon;43038438"]
Original post by Yussuf94

Are you taking about unit 4? I did it in jan and got 120/120 ums...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mistake, yes I am talking about unit 4. It appears that you did a different unit- which did you do?
Reply 782

I got an A in the crime and deviance exam. To get a B I only had to get 6 UMs in the beliefs paper

You'll be ok

The crime and deviance paper in Jan was a blessing, all the questions were great, except for the !!!SCIENCE ONE!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be ok

The crime and deviance paper in Jan was a blessing, all the questions were great, except for the !!!SCIENCE ONE!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah! I got 25/33 for it, was bliss

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Yussuf94;43050837"]
Original post by matthewhernon

My mistake, yes I am talking about unit 4. It appears that you did a different unit- which did you do?

I did unit 4 crime and deviance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 785
Can someone please explain to me in simple language lol, what the hell is Phenomenlogy and Ethnomethodology?! I just think the social action theorists are going off on one and making their argument too long. Also, anyone got any predictions for C&D? Cheers!
Original post by K1BBE-CFC
Can someone please explain to me in simple language lol, what the hell is Phenomenlogy and Ethnomethodology?! I just think the social action theorists are going off on one and making their argument too long. Also, anyone got any predictions for C&D? Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive done that...go up the thread. Ethnomethodology is a dead perspective. Phenomeology is philsosophy, there are some rules governing social behaviour rhough these are subjective they become intrapersonal. Ethnomethodology is sociology, there are no intrapersonal rules, we just imagine there is....
Reply 787
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive done that...go up the thread. Ethnomethodology is a dead perspective. Phenomeology is philsosophy, there are some rules governing social behaviour rhough these are subjective they become intrapersonal. Ethnomethodology is sociology, there are no intrapersonal rules, we just imagine there is....

Are you implying that social behaviour is a social construct, or at least, according to ethnomethodologists?
Reply 788

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, Matthew, however science and sociology really isn't my thing- I find it very dull!
Reply 789

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you know how much you got?
Did you get a copy of your script or recieve the real one?
Are you implying that social behaviour is a social construct, or at least, according to ethnomethodologists?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Behaviour is a social construct for ALL sociologists.

If you mean that they claim to be adding to sociological knowledge by claiming that there are no social rules merely imagined ones - then yes.

You'll be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

so does that mean youre only aiming for a B overall? or an A? and 6 really?!
Reply 792
Original post by Lindsay.Brown
I completely forgot to talk about neo-Marxism in my 33mark :-((( do you's think this will have a big effect on my mark?

Apparently, in sociological essays, you don't lose marks. Rather, they award you marks and work upwards, then stop based upon set criteria.

Therefore, as you didn't mention N-Marxism, i'm sure you would have only (I use only losely here in the sense that you did well in other areas) lost marks for interpretation of the question 'Asess the MARXIST (both trad and neo) perspective in understanding the role and function of religion in society today (I think)'. This means that you didn't uncover part of what the question asked, thus lost- hehe I mean gain marks for a more fuller interpretation.

Did you mention other perspectives?

Were your paragraphs linked well to the debate?

Did you come to an original conclusion or one which seeks to provide some input into the debate?

Did you have a good structure (intro, main, conc)?

Did you evaluate?

If you can say yes to most of these things, then I reckon you could at least get a grade B on the 33 marker; if so, credit to you- well done!
Reply 793
so does that mean youre only aiming for a B overall? or an A? and 6 really?!

From the information that Matthew has given us, we can safely assume that he is currently on 276 ums (280 for a B)- providing he has got his calculations right, of course.

Which means...

If he got a high B in as then he must have got around the 156 ums range, which means... GASPS, he got full ums in crime and deviance (walks out the room speechless).
From the information that Matthew has given us, we can safely assume that he is currently on 276 ums (280 for a B)- providing he has got his calculations right, of course.

Which means...

If he got a high B in as then he must have got around the 156 ums range, which means... GASPS, he got full ums in crime and deviance (walks out the room speechless).

impressive! but doesnt make me feel any better about my results! lol!

I have 274 ums at the moment...

And yeah, I got full marks in crime and deviance, you can achieve anything if you put in the hard work and dedication!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Behaviour is a social construct for ALL sociologists.

If you mean that they claim to be adding to sociological knowledge by claiming that there are no social rules merely imagined ones - then yes.

For the 'no social rules', yes that's what I meant.

Do all sociologists believe behaviour is a social consruct though?
-Functionalists- behaviour structurally determined
-Marxism- behaviour also structurally determined, but more so to benefit the capitalist system- the ruling classes and state use institutions in which to control behaviour etc.
-Well... there is symbolic interactionism and how behaviour is formed through our interactions with others and the development of the self.

This is what I have been taught. Either one of three things...
1) What I was taught was false.
2) The sociologists that argue behaviour is not socially constructed are lying to themselves and others.
3) The idea of social construction is not only bound within the perspective of interactionism and perhaps it can be argued that behaviour is socially constructed, depending on the perspective and other variables: Marxism constructed by ruling class: Functionalism constructed by social institutions in order to bring about social order, through a collective consciosness etc.

But, it highly depends on the context, is there social construction on a micro or macro level?

If Macro, which is what structuralist believe, then it is unlikely that they see social behaviour as a SOCIAL construct.

We could also get philosophical and argue that social institutions have a consciousness themselves and so can acively construct behaviour... in which case, social behaviour can be seen as socially constructed on a macro level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 797

Thank you.

Let me try to put you at ease, with regards to your results...

Firstly, I would like to say that I too got an A in AS and I say this not because I want to put myself on a pedestal, but because I want to show you that there have been some who are in a similar situation.

Like you in the beliefs paper, I felt that question 2 was really difficult and I admit that I struggled and I am happy to admit that.

Put it this way, the max mark is 60 right, question one is 9 and three is 33. You said those questions went alright. A possible scenario then, you got 9/9, 25/33 and 9/18. This translates into about a B grade.

If you get an A grade in unit 4 and as you have a few points over an A in AS, that should be enough to pull you up to an A overall; even if you got a low B in this paper. From what little I know, chances are you probably got a B in this paper, one way or another.

Just to finish, I was worried about unit 4 as it is so big (in our college, we sat it in Jan), but I worked harder than I ever did before in sociology and do you know what? It paid off!

Remember that this paper is not the end of you and you musn't give up, unit 4 is what counts now.
Beliefs is worth 80ums compared to the large 120 of unit 4- that 40 ums difference could be the difference between c-b or... B-!A!
Reply 798

You'll be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see where I went wrong in my calculation. I thought you meant you were a few marks of an A, but you meant a few marks of a B in AS. That, is why is dislike maths. One mistake and the calculation is RUINED!!!
Thank you.

Let me try to put you at ease, with regards to your results...

Firstly, I would like to say that I too got an A in AS and I say this not because I want to put myself on a pedestal, but because I want to show you that there have been some who are in a similar situation.

Like you in the beliefs paper, I felt that question 2 was really difficult and I admit that I struggled and I am happy to admit that.

Put it this way, the max mark is 60 right, question one is 9 and three is 33. You said those questions went alright. A possible scenario then, you got 9/9, 25/33 and 9/18. This translates into about a B grade.

If you get an A grade in unit 4 and as you have a few points over an A in AS, that should be enough to pull you up to an A overall; even if you got a low B in this paper. From what little I know, chances are you probably got a B in this paper, one way or another.

Just to finish, I was worried about unit 4 as it is so big (in our college, we sat it in Jan), but I worked harder than I ever did before in sociology and do you know what? It paid off!

Remember that this paper is not the end of you and you musn't give up, unit 4 is what counts now.
Beliefs is worth 80ums compared to the large 120 of unit 4- that 40 ums difference could be the difference between c-b or... B-!A!

thanks!! i really appreciate that! yeah its definitely eased me now! gonna do some serious revision these next few days,feeling motivated now!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending