The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Beliefs in society 5 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
can't really say that about functionalism

marxism came up in the family. religion and c&d paper in 2013

Hmm yeah, so it is possible to come up in one of the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys do for questions like 'assess the role of sects in society today'

What the hell do you do for these sorts of questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IllmaticDragon
What do you guys do for questions like 'assess the role of sects in society today'

What the hell do you do for these sorts of questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, the essay question on sects should not be a problem. You simply ought to describe some charasteristics of sects in your introduction, for example they tend to have a charismatic leader. Unlike the church, sects have quite few followers but more commitment is required and contact with the family, relatives and friends is restricted.

Explication : you should explain why sects are short-lived, here are some key points you can make:

*marginality - Max Weber

*relative deprivation (social deprivation, organismic deprivation, ethical deprivation, psychic deprivation) - Glock and Stark

*social change - Wilson, Bellah, Heelas

*disenchatment with the world - Giddens

*status frustration - Wallis

Conclusion...

Hope it helps x
If we got a question on science could we evaluate by criticising open belief systems with closed belief systems and self sustaining beliefs and vice versa? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
anybody finding this really hard to revise.
I don't understand how you could write a 33 marker on this: assess the view that, for minority ethnic groups, the practice of religion and membership of religious groups is mainly a form of cultural defence. So would you talk about cultural defence and than counter it with cultural transition? I really don't know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sigmar11
Hi, the essay question on sects should not be a problem. You simply ought to describe some charasteristics of sects in your introduction, for example they tend to have a charismatic leader. Unlike the church, sects have quite few followers but more commitment is required and contact with the family, relatives and friends is restricted.

Explication : you should explain why sects are short-lived, here are some key points you can make:

*marginality - Max Weber

*relative deprivation (social deprivation, organismic deprivation, ethical deprivation, psychic deprivation) - Glock and Stark

*social change - Wilson, Bellah, Heelas

*disenchatment with the world - Giddens

*status frustration - Wallis

Conclusion...

Hope it helps x

How could you evaluate marginality, relative deprivation and social change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyx
I don't understand how you could write a 33 marker on this: assess the view that, for minority ethnic groups, the practice of religion and membership of religious groups is mainly a form of cultural defence. So would you talk about cultural defence and than counter it with cultural transition? I really don't know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thats hard

what topic is that
I don't even know, that's why I'm finding it hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
wow thats hard

what topic is that

What year did that come up in? i'm a teacher of sociology, highly unlikely i think, not enough in the textbooks to cover 3 - 4 sides. Before anyone asks..no i dont have any predictions but as someone has written above marxism was in so many units last year (paper could have been written by an SWP member) it is unlikely to come up this year...

Also for the person trying to tie social change into the sects question it's not particularly relevant, social change is a discrete topic in itself and is really a comparison of materialist views of social change (functionalism, traditional marxism and traditional feminism) with idealist/materialist views (Neo-marxism and Weber)

Best wishes
Original post by risteard
What year did that come up in? i'm a teacher of sociology, highly unlikely i think, not enough in the textbooks to cover 3 - 4 sides. Before anyone asks..no i dont have any predictions but as someone has written above marxism was in so many units last year (paper could have been written by an SWP member) it is unlikely to come up this year...

Also for the person trying to tie social change into the sects question it's not particularly relevant, social change is a discrete topic in itself and is really a comparison of materialist views of social change (functionalism, traditional marxism and traditional feminism) with idealist/materialist views (Neo-marxism and Weber)

Best wishes

It came up in January 2011! What would you write for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A January paper you say? Yes, they always made those harder...

http://filestore2.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-SCLY3-W-MS-JAN11.PDF

page 9. Look those authors up in your textbook make a note of what they say and string an essay together.

You are not expected to include all of those writers, it's quite obvious looking at it now but i can see why you may think you cant three or four sides out of it.
Original post by risteard
A January paper you say? Yes, they always made those harder...

http://filestore2.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-SCLY3-W-MS-JAN11.PDF

page 9. Look those authors up in your textbook make a note of what they say and string an essay together.

You are not expected to include all of those writers, it's quite obvious looking at it now but i can see why you may think you cant three or four sides out of it.

I don't get how you could possible use all those writers in that essay. It just seems so little to write about.

Are you a beliefs in society teacher by the way? I wondered if you could help me. Do you have evaluation points for relative deprivation, marginality and social change explanations of sects and also ethnics and religiousity and age and religiosity? Would be very grateful! Struggling on these

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 993
Anyone else getting lots of weaknesses of theories but few strengths?
Original post by sophv2
Anyone else getting lots of weaknesses of theories but few strengths?

Yeah I'm the same! But I'm really struggling for both on the explanations, like age and religiosity and ethnicity and religiosity :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995
Original post by mollyx
Yeah I'm the same! But I'm really struggling for both on the explanations, like age and religiosity and ethnicity and religiosity :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Age I'm okay on, ethnicity I can't do! D:
Original post by sophv2
Age I'm okay on, ethnicity I can't do! D:

What evaluation points have you got for Age? Hmm yeah ethnicity is hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would people write in a clash of civilisation and cultural defence essay? I really need help with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998
has anyone got any predictions for this exam!! even if you tell me what has come up before and is unlikely to come up again, anything will help. struggling with revision for this, my worst exam by far. :smile:
Original post by katiekarnif
has anyone got any predictions for this exam!! even if you tell me what has come up before and is unlikely to come up again, anything will help. struggling with revision for this, my worst exam by far. :smile:

Clash of civilisation/culture defence
Secularisation
Feminism
Religion as a cause for conflict

These are the predictions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending