The Student Room Group

Mechanics vectors question

I'm stuck on part 1. I hate to move forward without completing something and i'm sure it's obvious, so can anyone help me? I'm absolutely awful at mechanics :frown:
Reply 1
If the box does not move the forces must be equal and opposite...
Original post by jazzie14
I'm stuck on part 1. I hate to move forward without completing something and i'm sure it's obvious, so can anyone help me? I'm absolutely awful at mechanics :frown:

Hint:

If the particle didn't move, 2 equal forces must have been applied in opposite directions. It would've moved if one was greater than the other.
Reply 3
There's no actual working out you need to do, but you know he is pulling on it with a force of 600N and nothing is moving - so what can you conclude about the resultant force?
Reply 4

Let the mass of package be m and the friction be μ\mu
All you can write
Ff=μmg>=600F_f=\mu \cdot m \cdot g >=600
THe direction is -i
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
so -600N=magnitude and -600i=direction?
so -600N=magnitude and -600i=direction?

Magnitude can't be negative.

If I'm in a car and I reverse at, say, 10mph, I don't say that I'm travelling at a speed of -10mph :smile:
Instead, I say that the magnitude of my speed is 10 and I'm travelling backwards (i.e in the negative i direction).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
ok, i think i get it now ty everyone :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest