The Student Room Group

a level maths content

im doing a level math next year and im just curious how much application questions there are? is it similar to GCSEs? or is it mainly knowledge based
thanks
Original post by kshaikhl19
im doing a level math next year and im just curious how much application questions there are? is it similar to GCSEs? or is it mainly knowledge based
thanks

Hi, not sure what you really mean by 'application questions' but I'd say it is mostly knowledge based. You get given a formulae booklet but that doesn't contain everything you need to memorise, especially since you have pure maths and then stats and mechanics on top (if you're doing edexcel idk about other boards)
Reply 2
Original post by islabelle
Hi, not sure what you really mean by 'application questions' but I'd say it is mostly knowledge based. You get given a formulae booklet but that doesn't contain everything you need to memorise, especially since you have pure maths and then stats and mechanics on top (if you're doing edexcel idk about other boards)

i mean like in GCSE level, you get questions in a scenario like finding the number of pots of paints for somebody’s room or something is it like at A-level too? yes i will be doing edexcel

so the only application paper will be the mechanics paper?
Original post by kshaikhl19
i mean like in GCSE level, you get questions in a scenario like finding the number of pots of paints for somebody’s room or something is it like at A-level too? yes i will be doing edexcel
so the only application paper will be the mechanics paper?

Ah ok yes I see what you mean. At A-Level it’s slightly different but yes questions are put in context, usually we’d learn the maths topic itself (trig, vectors, graph work etc…) and then questions are put in context, often referred to as ‘modelling’. This doesn’t make the questions any harder/easier, it just relates them to ‘real life’ scenarios, e.g work out the maximum distance the car travels if…

Hope this answers your question!
Reply 4
Original post by islabelle
Ah ok yes I see what you mean. At A-Level it’s slightly different but yes questions are put in context, usually we’d learn the maths topic itself (trig, vectors, graph work etc…) and then questions are put in context, often referred to as ‘modelling’. This doesn’t make the questions any harder/easier, it just relates them to ‘real life’ scenarios, e.g work out the maximum distance the car travels if…
Hope this answers your question!

thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest