The Student Room Group

Thermodynamic question

Hey guy's I've been given some questions but I'm struggling to do these two, I'm trying to apply Pv=nRT but I'm guessing this is the wrong equation.

1 mole of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isoth ermal compression at 20°C from a pressure of 1 atm to 5 atm. Give values for the system of q, w, U, H and S.

And this question.

1 mole of an ideal gas of volume 1m3 expands adiabatically and reversibly against an external pressure of 2 atm to reach a volume of 1.5m 3. Give values for the system of q, w, U, H and ∆S.

Thanks for any help!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mitty1990
Hey guy's I've been given some questions but I'm struggling to do these two, I'm trying to apply Pv=nRT but I'm guessing this is the wrong equation.

1 mole of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isoth ermal compression at 20°C from a pressure of 1 atm to 5 atm. Give values for the system of q, w, U, H and S.

And this question.

1 mole of an ideal gas of volume 1m3 expands adiabatically and reversibly against an external pressure of 2 atm to reach a volume of 1.5m 3. Give values for the system of q, w, U, H and ∆S.

Thanks for any help!!

the first few bits of this thermodynamics crib-sheet might help, if not now, at least some time in the near future.

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/~hill/static_resources_td_crib.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest