Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guy's I've been given some questions but I'm struggling to do these two, I'm trying to apply Pv=nRT but I'm guessing this is the wrong equation.

1 mole of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isoth ermal compression at 20°C from a pressure of 1 atm to 5 atm. Give values for the system of q, w, ∆ U, ∆ H and ∆ S.

And this question.

1 mole of an ideal gas of volume 1m3 expands adiabatically and reversibly against an external pressure of 2 atm to reach a volume of 1.5m 3. Give values for the system of q, w, ∆ U, ∆ H and ∆S.

Thanks for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitty1990)
    Hey guy's I've been given some questions but I'm struggling to do these two, I'm trying to apply Pv=nRT but I'm guessing this is the wrong equation.

1 mole of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isoth ermal compression at 20°C from a pressure of 1 atm to 5 atm. Give values for the system of q, w, ∆ U, ∆ H and ∆ S.

And this question.

1 mole of an ideal gas of volume 1m3 expands adiabatically and reversibly against an external pressure of 2 atm to reach a volume of 1.5m 3. Give values for the system of q, w, ∆ U, ∆ H and ∆S.

Thanks for any help!!
    the first few bits of this thermodynamics crib-sheet might help, if not now, at least some time in the near future.

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/~hill/stati...es_td_crib.pdf

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.