The Student Room Group

Chemistry vs chemical engineering

What's actually the difference because the uni websites for undergraduate chem and chem eng don't seem very specific. So is chem eng more maths and physics related and not so much chem-related? I've heard some people say it's more similar to mech eng than chemistry.
Also how come people seem to be relating chem eng to biomedical engineering even though they don't seem related at all?? I'm just really confused as to what chemical engineering is basically and is it worth doing it over chem or are they incomparable?
Original post by p_4
What's actually the difference because the uni websites for undergraduate chem and chem eng don't seem very specific. So is chem eng more maths and physics related and not so much chem-related? I've heard some people say it's more similar to mech eng than chemistry.
Also how come people seem to be relating chem eng to biomedical engineering even though they don't seem related at all?? I'm just really confused as to what chemical engineering is basically and is it worth doing it over chem or are they incomparable?

Hi @p_4!

Great question!
Chemists have detailed knowledge of chemical structures, reactions, properties and the underlying theories and principles. They work in laboratories with small amounts of material using instruments such as mass and nuclear magnetic resonance spectrophotometers and chromatographs etc, (ie small scale). Example jobs: academic researcher, forensic scientist, toxicologist, patent attorney, analytical chemist etc.

Chemical engineers have a general knowledge of chemistry but focus on heat and mass flow, thermodynamics and maths necessary for needed calculations. They scale up methods of synthesis, design systems for heating and cooling, transporting large amounts of material, work on improving efficiency and economics of industrial process etc. They typically work in a pilot plants or factories. Example jobs: process engineer, energy engineer, petroleum engineer, materials engineer, manufacturing engineer etc.

Chemistry and Chemical Engineering can have slightly different entry requirements/ A level subject and grade requirements so I recommend having a look at a variety of universities and courses.
For information about courses at Lancaster University:
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
I hope this answer helps and let me know if you have any more questions : )
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by p_4

Hi @p_4!

Great question!
Chemists have detailed knowledge of chemical structures, reactions, properties and the underlying theories and principles. They work in laboratories with small amounts of material using instruments such as mass and nuclear magnetic resonance spectrophotometers and chromatographs etc, (ie small scale). Example jobs: academic researcher, forensic scientist, toxicologist, patent attorney, analytical chemist etc.

Chemical engineers have a general knowledge of chemistry but focus on heat and mass flow, thermodynamics and maths necessary for needed calculations. They scale up methods of synthesis, design systems for heating and cooling, transporting large amounts of material, work on improving efficiency and economics of industrial process etc. They typically work in a pilot plants or factories. Example jobs: process engineer, energy engineer, petroleum engineer, materials engineer, manufacturing engineer etc.

Chemistry and Chemical Engineering can have slightly different entry requirements/ A level subject and grade requirements so I recommend having a look at a variety of universities and courses.
For information about courses at Lancaster University:
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
I hope this answer helps and let me know if you have any more questions : )
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

Thanks for the response! I'll have a look at those links 👍🏼
Original post by p_4
So is chem eng more maths and physics related and not so much chem-related? I've heard some people say it's more similar to mech eng than chemistry.

Yes. The bulk of chemical engineering is physics based (which itself is essentially maths based) rather than chemistry based. It's probably accurate to say that chemical engineering shares more in common with mechanical engineering than chemistry - they're both engineering, after all, and you'll likely share some classes (maths, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and the like).

Not sure why some people compared chemical engineering to biomedical, though it's not something I have heard much of.

What do you prefer out of maths & physics, and chemistry?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack

Yes. The bulk of chemical engineering is physics based (which itself is essentially maths based) rather than chemistry based. It's probably accurate to say that chemical engineering shares more in common with mechanical engineering than chemistry - they're both engineering, after all, and you'll likely share some classes (maths, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and the like).

Not sure why some people compared chemical engineering to biomedical, though it's not something I have heard much of.

What do you prefer out of maths & physics, and chemistry?

Ohhhh okayy thank you that kinda makes more sense now.

I think I'm quite confident in maths and between physics and chem I think overall I do find physics more interesting than chem in general altho I'm better at chem.

The pure maths side of physics is pretty good for me I just struggle with the mechanics which makes me think engineering might not be for me but idk still tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest