The Student Room Group

Natural sciences

I am planning to apply to Cambridge for natural sciences, I want to do physical natural sciences but my a-level subject are biology, chemistry an maths. I want to talk about an EPQ I did on stem cells but I also want to mention this book which I learned about thermodynamics - which is physics rated. I also want to apply to two universities for chemical engineering. I am in year 13 at the moment.
Original post by himdjkwndn234
I am planning to apply to Cambridge for natural sciences, I want to do physical natural sciences but my a-level subject are biology, chemistry an maths. I want to talk about an EPQ I did on stem cells but I also want to mention this book which I learned about thermodynamics - which is physics rated. I also want to apply to two universities for chemical engineering. I am in year 13 at the moment.

If you go onto the course outline, you should be able to find all the required subjects for each module:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

I do believe you will have some difficulty taking some of the physical science oriented options as you are taking neither further maths nor physics.

You can definitely still talk about both your EPQ (although normally you it is best not to talk about your qualifications in your PS, I think EPQ’s should be okay to write about as they are personal in nature) and the thermodynamics book (since thermodynamics is important to understanding the principles of physical chemistry) in your PS. Whether either would benefit you depends on exactly what you write, however.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you go onto the course outline, you should be able to find all the required subjects for each module:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

I do believe you will have some difficulty taking some of the physical science oriented options as you are taking neither further maths nor physics.

You can definitely still talk about both your EPQ (although normally you it is best not to talk about your qualifications in your PS, I think EPQ’s should be okay to write about as they are personal in nature) and the thermodynamics book (since thermodynamics is important to understanding the principles of physical chemistry) in your PS. Whether either would benefit you depends on exactly what you write, however.

Thank you for the response. Do you think I could talk about thermodynamics for the biological natural sciences course in my personal statement? Also how could I mention I did the EPQ without directly mention EPQ as well?
(edited 7 months ago)
Thank you for the response. Do you think I could talk about thermodynamics for the biological natural sciences course in my personal statement? Also how could I mention I did the EPQ without directly mention EPQ as well?

You could absolutely talk about thermodynamics and explain how it is used to understand concepts like enthalpy and entropy, which have applications in understanding why certain biologically relevant chemical processes occur (e.g photosynthesis).

You could say you have done a year long research project on stem cell research and explain how it has given you an invaluable insight into how to conduct good academic research, ethical considerations scientists must take etc.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
You could absolutely talk about thermodynamics and explain how it is used to understand concepts like enthalpy and entropy, which have applications in understanding why certain biologically relevant chemical processes occur (e.g photosynthesis).

You could say you have done a year long research project on stem cell research and explain how it has given you an invaluable insight into how to conduct good academic research, ethical considerations scientists must take etc.

thank you very much

Note that phys natsci vs bio natsci is a distinction primarily if not exlcusively for the admissions process to ensure you are given an interview panel and interview questions relevant to the A-levels you have studied. Once you start I gather you are free to take whatever papers you wish subject to agreement from your DoS and that you meet any prerequisites.

Also note that without A-level Physics you would not be able to take Part IA Physics (and hence any physics papers subsequently). You could take earth sciences, chemistry, or materials science from the physical natsci side however, although you may find you don't have as strong preparation for those subjects as those who also did physics and/or FM (at least in the case of materials science and possibly earth sciences).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that phys natsci vs bio natsci is a distinction primarily if not exlcusively for the admissions process to ensure you are given an interview panel and interview questions relevant to the A-levels you have studied. Once you start I gather you are free to take whatever papers you wish subject to agreement from your DoS and that you meet any prerequisites.

Also note that without A-level Physics you would not be able to take Part IA Physics (and hence any physics papers subsequently). You could take earth sciences, chemistry, or materials science from the physical natsci side however, although you may find you don't have as strong preparation for those subjects as those who also did physics and/or FM (at least in the case of materials science and possibly earth sciences).

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending